I Just Bought a Townhouse...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coprolalia

Bored Certified
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay... another Noyac "Twitter" thread...

I just put an offer on a townhouse. I close in two weeks, pending approval. Here are the details...

I looked at a place last weekend, and I thought it was a really good deal. I paid, essentially, a pretty good price on a coastal TH that's about 40 minutes from where I work.

It's a 2BR, 2Ba place that's not right on the beach, but short walking distance. It was a good deal. I paid roughly $180k, plus a $450/month association fee, for something that I will likely hold on to for a long time.

It needs a little TLC. But, at least I'll have a permanent vacation place that I can always go to. I'm renting right now, and that will give me plenty of time to fix it up the way I like it. Couldn't resist the option. I should have it completely paid off in a coupla years.

Now, it's just a matter of re-doing the interior the way I want it to look. I'm expecting to put another 30-40k into it to get it just right. Gated. Community rec area.

I'm pretty psyched.

:)

-copro

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't realize that my 2Br, 1 1/2 bath apartment here in Hawai'i, in a gated community, was in the "hood". If it is ghetto, it's the nicest, most-well put together ghetto I've ever seen.

But congrats on a good catch!

Members don't see this ad :)
Was talking about townhouses the other day with a colleague and neither of us could see the reasoning behind buying property that shares walls with neighbors. This might be a function of living in an area where houses are plentiful and reasonable, but I couldn't do it. I need 2+ acres anyway.

Congrats though. It's got to be a good feeling owning your living space. I'm probably a year or two from settling into something.

LOLWUT?

Ouch.

Yeah, well, you're right. But, you gotta get on the inside of the condo association before you can negotiate those fees down. I still agree... a little steep, but the previous owner of the condo I bought paid almost $100k more for the place. So, for a relative steal, I considered it just a monthly "beach access" fee. And, I'll probably rent it out for a while anyway, so all the way around it was a bargain... at least in my book.

-copro

Was talking about townhouses the other day with a colleague and neither of us could see the reasoning behind buying property that shares walls with neighbors. This might be a function of living in an area where houses are plentiful and reasonable, but I couldn't do it. I need 2+ acres anyway.

Congrats though. It's got to be a good feeling owning your living space. I'm probably a year or two from settling into something.

This is just the first of what I hope will be many properties. ;)

I don't plan to live there full-time. I will probably fix it up first and use it as a weekend escape and/or rent it out.

-copro

I don't plan to live there full-time. I will probably fix it up first and use it as a weekend escape and/or rent it out.

-copro[/QUOTE)

Congrats Copro. You've (unintentionally perhaps) given me hope that after MD school I'll be able to buy a home, and maybe a 2nd. Assuming Anesthesiologists can still make money, or as JPP used to say, Da Benjamins, in 9 years, and I'm going to assume that somewhere, someplace, I will be able to.

As for 450$ a month, I guess it's all relative. My father I think pays 250$ a month, and that's in safe suburbia USA. Friends of mine in LA and NY pay what's tantamount to a mortgage every month in association fees: $1,000 or $2,000/month. Sure, 450$ might be a mortgage for some, but imagine 1 or 2k a month just in FEES?!?!?!? I've also never heard of those fees being negotiated lower, but that's just me...

Enjoy,
D712

-copro[/QUOTE)

Congrats Copro. You've (unintentionally perhaps) given me hope that after MD school I'll be able to buy a home, and maybe a 2nd. Assuming Anesthesiologists can still make money, or as JPP used to say, Da Benjamins, in 9 years, and I'm going to assume that somewhere, someplace, I will be able to.

As for 450$ a month, I guess it's all relative. My father I think pays 250$ a month, and that's in safe suburbia USA. Friends of mine in LA and NY pay what's tantamount to a mortgage every month in association fees: $1,000 or $2,000/month. Sure, 450$ might be a mortgage for some, but imagine 1 or 2k a month just in FEES?!?!?!? I've also never heard of those fees being negotiated lower, but that's just me...

Enjoy,
D712

:clap:Hear, hear!
Congrats

Sometimes leasing just makes more sense.

Better wrap the rascal, that's all. McCartney got himself in trouble when he made another little McCartney. Same woulda held true if there was a little Spitzer squeezed outta this bee-yotch.

However, on all other points I wholeheartedly agree. When you got that much cash (also which Spitzer didn't), always get a pre-nup. You can say a lot of things about Tiger, but you can't call him completely stupid.

-copro

I don't have anything to add here, but I have to acknowledge my excitement that I was finally quoted in someone's (Dream's) sig. This is up there with med school graduation. Thanks, dude.