I just want to enter a deep space hibernation chamber until I get an email . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to work, come home, exercise way too long, barely eat, and then just sit here all evening. I don't feel like calling my friends, reading a book, watching a movie or doing anything.

Anyone else feel like life is empty, just waiting for a rejection or an interview or anything?

Maybe I'm being melodramatic but sheesh.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's k.

It's all gon be k. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I go to work, come home, exercise way too long, barely eat, and then just sit here all evening. I don't feel like calling my friends, reading a book, watching a movie or doing anything.

Anyone else feel like life is empty, just waiting for a rejection or an interview or anything?

I remember it last year...its a hard process. what're your stats and how many schools did u apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
R-OH

Reactions: 6 users
I feel the same way. I dislike weekends because I know I'm not hearing back from anyone. Anytime I get an email my heart jumps.

Chill. I get the app season is stressful, but realize that this is also your last year before hopping on the never-ending treadmill that is medicine. Even the absolute worst case scenario is you apply again next year. That's not a very terrible scenario. Even part of me wishes I would have taken a year before starting. You'll miss all the things you are able to do now, when you no longer are able to because of med school and you'll hate yourself.

Like I do.
tumblr_lf33w4JhIo1qzdk6y.gif

For me it's worst at work. I work on a computer all day and it's nearly impossible not to check my email all the time or go onto SDN during breaks and read about everyone else's success. It's awful. But I'm the opposite when it comes to weekends, during the weekends I completely forget about it all

For me it's worst at work. I work on a computer all day and it's nearly impossible not to check my email all the time or go onto SDN during breaks and read about everyone else's success. It's awful. But I'm the opposite when it comes to weekends, during the weekends I completely forget about it all

Im in the same boat as you...... Sitting in front of a computer all day and filling out secondaries when I get a chance...... However, I dont think its awful but inspiring. I like to read about other people success. Makes me humble in a way. Til then......Imma keep telling everyone im a janitor ;)

My GF is applying to PT school atm, and she's exhibiting the same symptoms. Burn out and stress aren't fun.

I got an email on a Sunday saying my app is complete a few weeks ago. Ever since I got it I assumed weekends were fair game and check my email then too.

Im in the same boat as you...... Sitting in front of a computer all day and filling out secondaries when I get a chance...... However, I dont think its awful but inspiring. I like to read about other people success. Makes me humble in a way. Til then......Imma keep telling everyone im a janitor ;)
I obviously didn't mean that the success of others is awful, haha. It's just discouraging to see those who were marked complete after you say that they have IIs or hear about acceptances while you're sitting there waiting for a II. By reading these stories I'm just adding unnecessary negative thoughts to my life, but I can't help it. I'm addicted to this place :hungover:

Members don't see this ad :)
I obviously didn't mean that the success of others is awful, haha. It's just discouraging to see those who were marked complete after you say that they have IIs or hear about acceptances while you're sitting there waiting for a II. By reading these stories I'm just adding unnecessary negative thoughts to my life, but I can't help it. I'm addicted to this place :hungover:

And you have written all of your secondaries?

And you have written all of your secondaries?
I finished a couple of weeks ago. Right around the time I was starting secondaries and everyone started complaining, someone posted about how some of us will miss the days when we were racking our brains trying to write essays because at least then you were playing an active role in the process and weren't just sitting there waiting for months. I never thought I would say it but yeah...they were right.

I finished a couple of weeks ago. Right around the time I was starting secondaries and everyone started complaining, someone posted about how some of us will miss the days when we were racking our brains trying to write essays because at least then you were playing an active role in the process and weren't just sitting there waiting for months. I never thought I would say it but yeah...they were right.

Wow, good for you. Best of luck. Btw, your stats are great. Not sure of your ECs though...... I just downloaded 3 games on my PS4, so I would have time to distract myself away from this site. Maybe you should do the same? Enjoy life while you can.

Wow, good for you. Best of luck. Btw, your stats are great. Not sure of your ECs though...... I just downloaded 3 games on my PS4, so I would have time to distract myself away from this site. Maybe you should do the same? Enjoy life while you can.
In my uneducated opinion, I'm being placed in the "We'll hold onto this for now, maybe offer a II later" pile due to my poor ECs. But thank you and good luck to you as well, I'm trying to remind myself on a regular basis to stop stressing and enjoy life or future me will hate present me for spending all of my energy stressing instead of enjoying my last year of nearly 0 responsibility. It really is just work that gives me trouble.

In my uneducated opinion, I'm being placed in the "We'll hold onto this for now, maybe offer a II later" pile due to my poor ECs. But thank you and good luck to you as well, I'm trying to remind myself on a regular basis to stop stressing and enjoy life or future me will hate present me for spending all of my energy stressing instead of enjoying my last year of nearly 0 responsibility. It really is just work that gives me trouble.

You found your weakness, go make them your strength! Go volunteer! You can always add experiences on your application! Makes you feel better too.....

Stay busy!!!!

You found your weakness, go make them your strength! Go volunteer! You can always add experiences on your application! Makes you feel better too.....
I was of the understanding that volunteering, for the sake of volunteering, was only valuable if you plan on reapplying or as a talking point for what you're doing during your time off. Is this incorrect? That being said, I do currently volunteer at a shelter but its more for fun than anything else, I don't get a lot of hours and no clinical exposure.

I was of the understanding that volunteering, for the sake of volunteering, was only valuable if you plan on reapplying or as a talking point for what you're doing during your time off. Is this incorrect? That being said, I do currently volunteer at a shelter but its more for fun than anything else, I don't get a lot of hours and no clinical exposure.

You have been misled. Volunteer is a way to express your selfless aspect. People want doctors who are compassionate to help other. Volunteering is a way to show that. Look up local clinics or hospital, they are always in need of FREE help.

You have been misled. Volunteer is a way to express your selfless aspect. People want doctors who are compassionate to help other. Volunteering is a way to show that. Look up local clinics or hospital, they are always in need of FREE help.
Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly, I am of the impression that, once you have applied, your experiences are complete. The only places continued hours could assist your chances are places that accept updates, which are not many. Any activities I do now will not improve my chances of receiving an interview. I'm not making any comment about the actual 'worth' of these experiences, just the direct value they would add to my chances of being interviewed.

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly, I am of the impression that, once you have applied, your experiences are complete. The only places continued hours could assist your chances are places that accept updates, which are not many. Any activities I do now will not improve my chances of receiving an interview. I'm not making any comment about the actual 'worth' of these experiences, just the direct value they would add to my chances of being interviewed.
From my understanding, hitting the "update" button on AACOMAS after adding new experiences sends an email to your schools (those you applied to) with the new information and it's not uncommon for admissions staff to reconsider sending an interview invite at that time.

Reactions: 1 user
From my understanding, hitting the "update" button on AACOMAS after adding new experiences sends an email to your schools (those you applied to) with the new information and it's not uncommon for admissions staff to reconsider sending an interview invite at that time.
Really?? I had no idea ha. Thank you

Really?? I had no idea ha. Thank you
You should know that my statement wasn't 100% fact and based partially on conjecture. That said, much of the conjecture was based on past application threads.

Take a road trip and have some fun, life is too short to spend time stressing. You did your hard work with applying, now enjoy life.

Also get off of SDN for now- this is one of those times that it's more harmful than helpful.

You should know that my statement wasn't 100% fact and based partially on conjecture. That said, much of the conjecture was based on past application threads.
Lol, I appreciate the disclaimer. Whether you are correct or not, you've still caused me to look further into it today

Chill. I get the app season is stressful, but realize that this is also your last year before hopping on the never-ending treadmill that is medicine. Even the absolute worst case scenario is you apply again next year. That's not a very terrible scenario. Even part of me wishes I would have taken a year before starting. You'll miss all the things you are able to do now, when you no longer are able to because of med school and you'll hate yourself.

Like I do.
tumblr_lf33w4JhIo1qzdk6y.gif

So how's it been so far? Do you HAVE to hit the books at an insane pace or is it possible to study all day but go at a nice pace w/ a few breaks thrown in?

So how's it been so far? Do you HAVE to hit the books at an insane pace or is it possible to study all day but go at a nice pace w/ a few breaks thrown in?
It largely depends on your goals, but there is always a bit of free time if you're willing to budget for it. I'm just terrible at time management, and I also have a family at home so that takes up most of my time. I typically find myself scrambling to be ready for every test, and I'm not at the top of my class. That being said, I'm not gunning for anything competitive, so as long as I pass all my classes I'm fairly happy.

Simply put, you'll definitely have free time. Plenty of people study a good chunk of the day and choose to be done by 5-6. I personally keep studying after that, but my studying isn't as efficient as that of some of my classmates.

It largely depends on your goals, but there is always a bit of free time if you're willing to budget for it. I'm just terrible at time management, and I also have a family at home so that takes up most of my time. I typically find myself scrambling to be ready for every test, and I'm not at the top of my class. That being said, I'm not gunning for anything competitive, so as long as I pass all my classes I'm fairly happy.

Simply put, you'll definitely have free time. Plenty of people study a good chunk of the day and choose to be done by 5-6. I personally keep studying after that, but my studying isn't as efficient as that of some of my classmates.

Could you describe how much material you have to memorize on a typical day? I know it varies from wk to wk and class to class but Im just trying to get an idea of how things work.

Also since its Tues morning I assume your on SDN in class right now? haha

Could you describe how much material you have to memorize on a typical day? I know it varies from wk to wk and class to class but Im just trying to get an idea of how things work.

Also since its Tues morning I assume your on SDN in class right now? haha
Not to be overly self-deprecating, but you probably don't want to follow my advice on too much in med school. I'm happy to try help where I can, however, so perhaps I'll lay out what I try to do and what successful students seem to do.

First of all, I don't go to class. Very few people do. My attention leaves after about 15 minutes and it becomes a colossal waste of time. What successful people shoot for is to make at least 3 passes through the material in various ways.

A typical (productive) day for me starts with going through the slides for the material being covered that day. I don't try to learn everything all at once, you just want to get an idea of what's being covered, what are some key points, or some of the diagrams or charts that you're going to learn about. Then when the lectures have been posted, I watch them on 1.4 speed, and pause to take notes, highlight, or just digest the info (I do the note taking on an ipad, and watch the lectures on my computer). Usually we have 4-5 hours of lecture, and that process usually takes a good chunk of the day. And of course scattered throughout the week we have mandatory OMM lecture, OMM lab, or whatever other BS stuff they make us go to. The 3rd pass comes in the day or 2 leading up to the test. I go through the annotated slides I made 1 more time, and this time I'll transfer hard to remember things into either quizlet flash cards, or I'll make a list or outline in OneNote. This is generally the recipe that most people follow and yields them good grades. If I did this process all the time, I would probably do much better.

The hiccups come when you start to get tired of studying for 10 hours every day. Perhaps you've heard of the med school pancake analogy? If not: med school is a lot like eating 5 pancakes a day. It's really not that hard, sometimes it's even fun. You do this for a couple of months, and you start to get a little tired of pancakes. You just want a day off. Well now you have 10 pancakes to eat the next day. You try to eat 10 pancakes, and maybe you do. But it makes it that much harder to eat your 5 pancakes the next day. Keep this up, and one day you find yourself with an exam in 2 days and 47 pancakes to eat before then. Hopefully you get the idea.

Reactions: 2 users
Very informative post. I was wondering about the whole skipping class thing, are professors offended if you don't attend lecture and will that negatively impact you when it comes time to applying for residency? Do you have review sessions with classmates at any point during the average week?
They're never offended, and most of them even joke about it. I may be mistaken here, but I'm pretty sure any relevant LORs for residency apps are going to come from physicians overseeing your clinical years, unless you are directly involved with research with one of the didactic professors.

I know I could benefit from group study to review, and for some people that's nearly all they do. But in my case as a test is approaching I'm usually behind enough that I still haven't gotten through all the lecture material yet, so I wouldn't be able to contribute much to the group. At that point I tend to self study so I can just focus on the things I know I'm weak in.