I just wish there were better fellowships/exit strategies from EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Opening up a clinic is still less liability than EM

Most docs get in trouble doing cosmetic surgeries not non procedural clinics

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are a ton of exit strategies from EM; the largest barrier has been how much EM pays for the effort compared to the exit strategies. Pain, palliative, hospice, occupational, preventative, urgent care, cosmetics, wound care, hyperbarics, sports medicine, toxicology, ICU, insurance work, utilization review, medicare exams, jail medicine, medicolegal work, consulting, medical review officer, DOT exams, addiction medicine, cruise ship medicine, direct primary care, anther residency...

Reactions: 5 users
There are a ton of exit strategies from EM; the largest barrier has been how much EM pays for the effort compared to the exit strategies. Pain, palliative, hospice, occupational, preventative, urgent care, cosmetics, wound care, hyperbarics, sports medicine, toxicology, ICU, insurance work, utilization review, medicare exams, jail medicine, medicolegal work, consulting, medical review officer, DOT exams, addiction medicine, cruise ship medicine, direct primary care, anther residency...
Exactly, and at least 3 of those you mentioned I know of people making the same or more as EM with regular hours. Not to mention the people who get into airbnb and real-estate. It's all about how much you really want to leave EM vs dealing with it (cause the way things are now in the field aren't going to get better). Many of these give options if you're willing to give up just ONE year.

You can also just work permanent EM PRN or locums and work 8 shifts a month or something. Tbh it's easier to tolerate if you only have to do it 6-8 times a month vs 13-16. The options are there. No you can't become a surgeon automatically or do radiology or GI without a ton of years but that's about it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly, and at least 3 of those you mentioned I know of people making the same or more as EM with regular hours. Not to mention the people who get into airbnb and real-estate. It's all about how much you really want to leave EM vs dealing with it (cause the way things are now in the field aren't going to get better). Many of these give options if you're willing to give up just ONE year.

You can also just work permanent EM PRN or locums and work 8 shifts a month or something. Tbh it's easier to tolerate if you only have to do it 6-8 times a month vs 13-16. The options are there. No you can't become a surgeon automatically or do radiology or GI without a ton of years but that's about it.
You can automatically become something different if you go to NP school. One of our PAs worked as a hospitalist, then EM and is now moving to Derm. Man I wish i was smart enough to master inpatient medicine, EM and then derm all in about 3-4 years after school without residency.

The smartest thing she did was marry a neurosurgeon tbh which means she probably is a lot smarter than I am.

Reactions: 8 users
You can automatically become something different if you go to NP school. One of our PAs worked as a hospitalist, then EM and is now moving to Derm. Man I wish i was smart enough to master inpatient medicine, EM and then derm all in about 3-4 years after school without residency.

The smartest thing she did was marry a neurosurgeon tbh which means she probably is a lot smarter than I am.
Depends on how much you value time with your spouse versus spending their money while they are at work

Depends on how much you value time with your spouse versus spending their money while they are at work
Right I would 100% not want to marry a neurosurgeon, I’m pretty content with reading books from the library and going fishing with the family .. I’d rather the time than the money

Glad I didn't marry a neurosurgeon, but I agree with wanting to get out of the Department.

@miacomet, I think there's plenty of options out there. I have a friend who went to art school, travelled the world, came back and worked a corporate job for a bit, now found their passion doing real estate flipping houses and such. Personally, I think I'd really enjoy being a financial advisor/asset protection guy once all this is over. At some point I'll figure out how to do that.

But point is, we spend most of our adult lives preparing for, training, and being doctors. It's gotta feel very strange to suddenly need a different identity. Maybe the best thing I could recommend is try to remember what made you happy before medicine, back when you were younger. Lean into that and rediscover your passions. There's so much outside the world of medicine. So many other ways to enjoy life that don't involve working nights, weekends, and holidays in the pit.

@miacomet, I think there's plenty of options out there. I have a friend who went to art school, travelled the world, came back and worked a corporate job for a bit, now found their passion doing real estate flipping houses and such. Personally, I think I'd really enjoy being a financial advisor/asset protection guy once all this is over. At some point I'll figure out how to do that.
This person was EM and made that career move?

This person was EM and made that career move?
I know someone who didn't even go past bachelors and started doing that and only a matter of 2 years of doing that, makes 6 figures, works on her own schedule and travels whenever she wants, no debt, no repetitive board exams, no working crazy hours or worried about being sued every day lolol

I know someone who didn't even go past bachelors and started doing that and only a matter of 2 years of doing that, makes 6 figures, works on her own schedule and travels whenever she wants, no debt, no repetitive board exams, no working crazy hours or worried about being sued every day lolol
Education beyond college is almost always a waste.
But no one is hiring EM docs for these gigs.

Education beyond college is almost always a waste.
But no one is hiring EM docs for these gigs.
My friend started this on her own, she doesn't work for anyone. If you have start-up money (I think my friend started with like $50k), and you willing to put some of the work yourself into flipping, learn the language, it can happen, then just airbnb.

For the fellowships, @Birdstrike is a good example for pain, and people are hiring EM for sports gigs, I have a friend working at one in a popular location who's EM, and I know a few EM ppl doing part or full sports and doing well

There's also cosmetics, I know a doc who got the training and started a botox clinic with his doc friend and they make money (idk how much but they said it's good)

There are ALOT of medical and nonmedical pathways to get out of EM. The biggest hurdle is risk aversion AND EMs current high income.

From what I know, going to pain does not mean an income increase from EM and potentially less income for the same hours worked.

Exactly.

For example, I’ve also had thoughts of leaving the pit. But moved to be closer to family and cost of living is higher. I’m hesitant to kill the golden? goose that is an EM career and take a risk if my family isn’t cared for. So instead of taking 50k and starting something new, I’ll keep making 200+/hr and grinding to FI while trying to stay responsible with my money.

But even then, if I have, say, 3M invested and a paid off house, would I rather take another risk or keep making that sweet EM salary?

So there’s your risk aversion and your opportunity cost of an EM salary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly.

For example, I’ve also had thoughts of leaving the pit. But moved to be closer to family and cost of living is higher. I’m hesitant to kill the golden? goose that is an EM career and take a risk if my family isn’t cared for. So instead of taking 50k and starting something new, I’ll keep making 200+/hr and grinding to FI while trying to stay responsible with my money.

But even then, if I have, say, 3M invested and a paid off house, would I rather take another risk or keep making that sweet EM salary?

So there’s your risk aversion and your opportunity cost of an EM salary.
This is the crux of it: there is a substantial opportunity cost in leaving emergency medicine.

This is the crux of it: there is a substantial opportunity cost in leaving emergency medicine.
It's not a financial issue for me. I've already left the pit, mostly, and I'm not super interested in returning.

BTW you are underpaid. $200+ an hour is not enough, try $300+ for the risks you are taking. Having reached FI, I can say that the risks and costs of EM loom much larger than I had anticipated, perhaps irrationally. YMMV.

It's not a financial issue for me. I've already left the pit, mostly, and I'm not super interested in returning.

BTW you are underpaid. $200+ an hour is not enough, try $300+ for the risks you are taking. Having reached FI, I can say that the risks and costs of EM loom much larger than I had anticipated, perhaps irrationally. YMMV.
And yet still there are not that many jobs in absolute terms In our society that pay as much or more. You’re already in the top 3 to 1% of compensation.

I don’t disagree with you though that we are still underpaid in light of the risk we shoulder. It doesn’t seem right that sone “executive vice president of marketing distribution” or some such makes as much as I do filling out TPS reports. Their “bad day at the office” doesn’t mean anybody ever died.

Being able to choose something new without financial concern seems very liberating. At that point you can do a job that overlaps with other people’s hobbies (and as a result typically pays ****) like ski patrol, fishing boat captain, whitewater raft guide, golf pro, etc.

You are lucky you are in the position where money is not the number one driver.

But to say EM docs are underpaid has to have some context because unless you own the business, EVERYONE is underpaid for what they bring in.

Do you think a plumber is getting paid $200+/hr they charge? My CPA charges $250/hr and the ones that does my taxes get a slither of that. Most fields would be lucky to get even 1/4 of what they bring in and EM docs get 50-75%+ at many/most sites.

But back to your original question. No one can tell you what the next phase of your life should be when money is a low priority.

You are lucky you are in the position where money is not the number one driver.

But to say EM docs are underpaid has to have some context because unless you own the business, EVERYONE is underpaid for what they bring in.

Do you think a plumber is getting paid $200+/hr they charge? My CPA charges $250/hr and the ones that does my taxes get a slither of that. Most fields would be lucky to get even 1/4 of what they bring in and EM docs get 50-75%+ at many/most sites.

But back to your original question. No one can tell you what the next phase of your life should be when money is a low priority.
Absolutely. You own or your are underpaid. This needs to be drummed into every young person's head, but then who would be the underpaid employees that make the world go round? On the other hand, employees don't take on as much risk as owners, hence the lower pay.

My point was simply that $200 an hour is underpaid, even in the context of being an employed EM physician.

I am lucky and I acknowledge my absolute privilege to be in a position where money is not the primary driver. I also acknowledge the trauma, hard work, sacrifice, and loss that brought me to this position.

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely. You own or your are underpaid. This needs to be drummed into every young person's head, but then who would be the underpaid employees that make the world go round? On the other hand, employees don't take on as much risk as owners, hence the lower pay.

Looks like you answered your own question. Risk tolerances vary in people.

Lots of survivorship bias in the success stories of "Dr. X who supplements his/her income with a side gig of X and eventually retired to a beach" – a tantalising golden fruit with proponents who disproportionally share their success on social media platforms. ;)

Reactions: 7 users
Like, I just don't understand why society would rather have me quit than retrain in, say, psychiatry. It seems like a loss and a waste.

Like literally psych is really competitive and I would not match, I'm well over 40. I would if I could.
So is pain, lots of success stories in this forum about that.

Biggest issue is psych seems to really care about genuine interest. If you've got a compelling reason, you'd probably have a decent chance.

You can do literally exactly that right now.

He would have to match which isn’t easy and spend 3 years then do psychiatry

Also fellowships in general are less competitive than residencies especially if you are a seasoned attending

Pain is 12 months and you can get into it from multiple specialties

He would have to match which isn’t easy and spend 3 years then do psychiatry
Yeah, I don't care about the three years, I'd like it, but matching seems impossible. It's really popular. I'm shocked any doc would think switching to any field after EM would be easy.

Yeah, I don't care about the three years, I'd like it, but matching seems impossible. It's really popular. I'm shocked any doc would think switching to any field after EM would be easy.
Not sure why it wouldn't be. I'm hearing lots of "its impossibles" but no reasons why that's true other than "its competitive" which it is but not compared to the traditionally competitive fields.

Why don't you just apply? What do you have to lose?

When I applied to Pain I started applying to dozens of programs (2011, the last year Pain wasn't in the Match). Rejection started raining down on me like softball sized hail. I was rejected 35 times in a row. I kept applying until either all 100 programs had rejected me, or I got an offer.

Guess what happened on #36?

They offered me a spot.

I had a 97% rejection rate. I still got in. When that phone call came I was on an EM shift. I took the call in a back hallway and when I hung up, I started jumping up and down, fist pumping into the air like a crazy person, because I knew my EM days were over.

All you need is 1. And the only way you can guarantee you won't get that one, is to not try.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Literally no one is saying this would be easy. People are saying that you have 2 choices.
1: Try, and risk failure
2: Complain about how unfair things are whilst doing nothing to better your circumstances.

Literally no one is saying this would be easy. People are saying that you have 2 choices.
1: Try, and risk failure
2: Complain about how unfair things are whilst doing nothing to better your circumstances.
Agreed. And I am unhappy with either option. Obviously I will do number one, but it sucks.

I do alot of things that docs on here say its impossible and continue to say its not possible today. Impossible is only if you don't try. Just like you can't fail unless you attempt.

Reactions: 3 users
Agreed. And I am unhappy with either option. Obviously I will do number one, but it sucks.
Anything worth having is difficult otherwise everyone would have it.

I wish I could be Elon but it just is not that easy.

I do alot of things that docs on here say its impossible and continue to say its not possible today. Impossible is only if you don't try. Just like you can't fail unless you attempt.
Maybe you are just extra talented :)

Anything worth having is difficult otherwise everyone would have it.

I wish I could be Elon but it just is not that easy.
Lol the folks who went direct to psych residency seem to have it not so difficult...I was just a fool.

Why don't you just apply? What do you have to lose?

When I applied to Pain I started applying to dozens of programs (2011, the last year Pain wasn't in the Match). Rejection started raining down on me like softball sized hail. I was rejected 35 times in a row. I kept applying until either all 100 programs had rejected me, or I got an offer.

Guess what happened on #36?

They offered me a spot.

I had a 97% rejection rate. I still got in. When that phone call came I was on an EM shift. I took the call in a back hallway and when I hung up, I started jumping up and down, fist pumping into the air like a crazy person, because I knew my EM days were over.

All you need is 1. And the only way you can guarantee you won't get that one, is to not try.

I’ve read your story now numerous times and each time I appreciate it. Keep spreading the balanced positivity.

Yeah, not sure why this is so difficult. Its not like shooting free throws. You hit rate just needs to be 1 out of hundreds. All it takes is a last minute open spot and your name is on the list. Problem is EM makes alot of $$$, so some will only take the risk if the Pot is large at the end of the rainbow.

Leaving EM is never about $$$ as it is hard to match the $/hr.

Reactions: 4 users
Like literally psych is really competitive and I would not match, I'm well over 40. I would if I could.

There was a guy in his 50s in my med school class that matched into psych. Yea it was from medical school and not as a seasoned attending but you get the point. Yea it’s more competitive now, too. As others keep saying all you have to lose is trying to apply. You aren’t hurting for money so what is the hang up?

Leaving EM was about peace of mind, for me. My only regret is not doing it sooner.
Absolutely! I'm one month into my exit plan and my blood pressure has normalized, I've gone right to sleep and woken up same time for a nice 8 hrs sleep every day for the past week, I've stopped GAF about the corporate shenanigans that used to affect my life. It's wonderful.

There is a tiny bit of angst over finances but worst case scenario is we'll have to cut back on expenses a bit. I'm signed up for a couple of shifts per month through the summer but I think odds are good I'll fully quit by September. I'm really not looking forward to going back for those shifts. I'm starting some non EM work in a couple weeks and I'll post back once I'm sure that's my new path forward.

Absolutely! I'm one month into my exit plan and my blood pressure has normalized, I've gone right to sleep and woken up same time for a nice 8 hrs sleep every day for the past week, I've stopped GAF about the corporate shenanigans that used to affect my life. It's wonderful.

There is a tiny bit of angst over finances but worst case scenario is we'll have to cut back on expenses a bit. I'm signed up for a couple of shifts per month through the summer but I think odds are good I'll fully quit by September. I'm really not looking forward to going back for those shifts. I'm starting some non EM work in a couple weeks and I'll post back once I'm sure that's my new path forward.
Dying to hear what you found!

States don’t regulate what kind of medicine you can practice. It’s a facility/ insurance issue. Any physician can open up a primary care office. Whether you are opening yourself up to huge liability if something goes wrong will be for the court to decide.
States though do not determine scope of practice based on residency training.
Exactly. Plus if you have a good relationship with your hospital system you may be able to work something out. Three + examples from my EM group:

1) One ER doctor started a concierge primary care practice. His niche is hospice and home visits for patients with limited mobility. Lots of retirees in the area and he is doing really well. Reasonable business person and a few years later with a ton of business he just hired 2 more docs to work with him and see more of the basic primary care stuff. He didn’t get a fellowship in palliative or go back to FM/IM residency. I’m sure he did some reading. I think he is really good and both of my parents signed up with him and I’ve been pleased with their care. His website states up front that he is a prior ER doctor and the patients that like that sign up. A kind, genuine MD with lots of medical experience who knows their limits and when to ask questions and refer out/ read more will do well especially when competing in a primary care desert against a few random PAs.

2) one person left our group to work at the local prison in a primary/urgent care function. Slow pace, salary of 300k+, amazing pension of 2.5% of more recent salary accrued per year vesting after 5 years, great health benefits. 5 days a week with all sorts of trainings and days off and half the patient volume of a regular FM practice. I interviewed for a director position at local county jail. Pay, job and benefits was atrocious and I couldn’t run out of there fast enough. Not even close to competitive to state prison system so subtleties matter.

3) Start an urgent care or work at an urgent care. Starting one will eat you up and cost a lot of money. Many areas are now saturated as other entrepreneurs and now hospital systems have jumped in the game. The time to do this was 10 years ago. But in the right location it works. A few people from our group (including PAs) have left and tried some shifts and they feel burnt out and don’t like the 4 patients per hour viral factory but for many the 8am-6pm hours or portion of that is worth it. Pay is lower as an employee. One couple I know who started a string of urgent cares in a big city worked a ton and after a huge amount of stress started to coast making over 1M per year and ended up selling to the big local academic medical center for 8 figures.

4) Local university health clinic. Mainly urgent care but hours are even better, young and not sick population. Good benefits and pension, much lower comp in low 200s. I have heard people interview for this but weren’t tempted enough to take a position.

5) One of the hospitals that I currently work at is looking for a same day clinic provider and they are desperate for somebody who can cover peds, internal medicine, etc.. If I wanted the position, I am sure I could get considered. This would basically be urgent care with clinic hours.

6) You are mainly only limited by hospital privileges and insurance. My big academic residency had a major issue where a derm resident was fired for misrepresentation and moonlighting in a rural ER saying he was an ER resident and had a bad outcome that brought it all to light. He never got to finish derm residency as a result. Ran into him a few years later and he was a “critical care dermatologist” working at a rural hospital in the middle of nowhere as a hospitalist/ICU combo role. Unclear if they did their due diligence with credentialing and were so desperate they didn’t care or he was about to get sued for something soon. I bet that with the desperate rural critical hospital role an actual board-certified and respected Emergency physician could get a job like this no problem.

7) several of the docs from my group work at a surf resort in Fiji during their vacations. Free vacation, great surfing, see a couple of patients here and there. No extra pay involved but you could live there for free, a great bridge to retirement.

8) Cruise ship doctor. Generally these roles are filled by international docs at low pay and the mega city cruise ships seem like hell on earth. But usually only have clinic 2-4 hours a day and on call with pager for when grandma falls down at the buffet. I would consider this for a small adventure focused expedition cruise like National Geographic etc. Not a good career change but more of a semi retirement alternative.

9) Peace corps doctor: work in a country or region and take care of some younger cool people. Lower pay but funded way to live abroad for a while. They love ER doctors.

10) US foreign service. Each US embassy location abroad has a doctor. Needs to be EM or FP I think. More like basic urgent care, a bit of travel medicine. Pay isn’t awesome but it comes with free housing, sometimes car/driver and taxes can be way lower if not free. I am seriously considering this as a second act as my wife and I really want to spend 1-2 years living abroad at some point. I lived for a year in east Africa as a kid and the embassy doctor was my stop for a few minor issues. The ambassador is highest up on the totem pole but some other roles (chief of mission, USAID deputy and usually doctor get housing and more resources).

Last edited:
The responses in this thread really hit with me. I just turned 41, and have been slowly ramping up other endeavors as I’ve been slowly ramping down my ER work. Through real estate, a cosmetic surgery and HRT practice, nursing homes, and hospice, Im finally able to only work about 6 shifts a month and could probably leave EM all together. I thought it would be awesome, and it is, I have my weekends free and more time with the kids, but it is definitely bittersweet. If someone asks me what I do, my response is still that I am EM physician, even though I spend less time doing EM than anything else as this point. It doesn’t help that I’ve been working the same shop in an underserved area for the last 10 years. It’s just my identity and I am finding it very hard to leave completely. I have actually found that I didn’t really hate the EM life, I hated that my survival was solely dependent on it. Knowing I don’t have to do this to make a living, actually makes the work much more enjoyable. I always thought I’d be one of those that would just bust out of the ambulance bay with middle fingers in air as I left on my last day. Instead I find myself being more like wife who just can’t leave her abusive husband. Lol.

The responses in this thread really hit with me. I just turned 41, and have been slowly ramping up other endeavors as I’ve been slowly ramping down my ER work. Through real estate, a cosmetic surgery and HRT practice, nursing homes, and hospice, Im finally able to only work about 6 shifts a month and could probably leave EM all together. I thought it would be awesome, and it is, I have my weekends free and more time with the kids, but it is definitely bittersweet. If someone asks me what I do, my response is still that I am EM physician, even though I spend less time doing EM than anything else as this point. It doesn’t help that I’ve been working the same shop in an underserved area for the last 10 years. It’s just my identity and I am finding it very hard to leave completely. I have actually found that I didn’t really hate the EM life, I hated that my survival was solely dependent on it. Knowing I don’t have to do this to make a living, actually makes the work much more enjoyable. I always thought I’d be one of those that would just bust out of the ambulance bay with middle fingers in air as I left on my last day. Instead I find myself being more like wife who just can’t leave her abusive husband. Lol.
Before everyone gets fomo and looks to do Botox, hrt etc as a way to get out of the ED and make a bunch of money, it's probably prudent to remind people that you make over a mil a year from a FSED.

lucked out in FSED craze and within 4 years was making 1.1-2 mil/yr.

I don't in any way begrudge you your success, but in this thread in particular, context is rather important.

10) US foreign service. Each US embassy location abroad has a doctor. Needs to be EM or FP I think. More like basic urgent care, a bit of travel medicine. Pay isn’t awesome but it comes with free housing, sometimes car/driver and taxes can be way lower if not free. I am seriously considering this as a second act as my wife and I really want to spend 1-2 years living abroad at some point. I lived for a year in east Africa as a kid and the embassy doctor was my stop for a few minor issues. The ambassador is highest up on the totem pole but some other roles (chief of mission, USAID deputy and usually doctor get housing and more resources).
This job just opened up again. Only gets posted every year or two sometimes three. When it does the window to apply is only about 3 weeks, closes this time July 25th. Takes about 1 to 2 years for the whole application process and you have to get posted before you turn 60. I know because I'm currently still in the middle of the process from the last time it got posted.

Before everyone gets fomo and looks to do Botox, hrt etc as a way to get out of the ED and make a bunch of money, it's probably prudent to remind people that you make over a mil a year from a FSED.

I don't in any way begrudge you your success, but in this thread in particular, context is rather important.
Just a tiny, minor detail. It's easy to paint a rosy picture when you're in the 99.99999999% percentile for income as an EM-trained physician.

I'm moderate FIRE and lucky in that I don't *have* to work. I'm surprised how much I miss seeing patients. I also have no desire to go back to EM. I can't believe I picked this field. It's such a waste, I like to work but there's just nothing after EM. Nothing.
I was just back on this site for the first time in who knows how long over the holiday weekend, but came across a thread on Sports Medicine, and although I think I heard about it before, I didn’t remember that EM is actually a path (albeit rare) into Sports Medicine through fellowship.

If you don’t enjoy the intensity and demands of EM, it seems like this would SM would be the most cush exit strategy.

I think one approach that shouldn’t be overlooked is dipping your toe into something else. In EM you have the time to do this. Yes not a new residency or fellowship but you can be a financial advisor part time while you build up clients, you can do real estate, Botox etc.

This doesnt have to be an all or none unless you pick a course that forces that.

Docs are crispy and not just EM. For those of us in our 40s we are in the sandwich part of like where our kids often need us and we have ailing / sick parents who need us. It’s a tough spot to be in. Some of us are divorced which only adds to the complexity of life.

If you hate EM dip your toe into something different. You have the time. If you lose out on a few days of your life or 25k life will go on. At least you tried to make yourself happy.

I was just back on this site for the first time in who knows how long over the holiday weekend, but came across a thread on Sports Medicine, and although I think I heard about it before, I didn’t remember that EM is actually a path (albeit rare) into Sports Medicine through fellowship.

If you don’t enjoy the intensity and demands of EM, it seems like this would SM would be the most cush exit strategy.
I find sports medicine insanely boring. I worked in an ER where we did just tons of reductions and had a huge ortho population. It was fine, I enjoyed it, but I can't imagine sitting in a clinic just doing knee pain all day.

Obviously you are @90sportsfan, but some of us find sports medicine insanely boring. Like, high school football ugh.

I find sports medicine insanely boring. I worked in an ER where we did just tons of reductions and had a huge ortho population. It was fine, I enjoyed it, but I can't imagine sitting in a clinic just doing knee pain all day.

Obviously you are @90sportsfan, but some of us find sports medicine insanely boring. Like, high school football ugh.

Also doesn’t pay well

Also sports isn’t really needed there isn’t much more a FM can’t do and for bad stuff you need Ortho anyway

You have to have a specific setup for sports like being the Lakers Doctor and this is a formality if you don’t plan to do academics