I know you've all heard this before.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tropicana83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I've completed a bachelors of nuclear engineering with a very low average around a C+ average with 3 failed classes. I found out through volunteering at hospitals that I wanted to pursue medicine in second year, however, I ended up finishing my engineering degree with poor results. Several issues throughout undergrad affected my performance, such as divorce of parents, friends and relatives passing away. It was hard to find motivation, let alone concentrate on school work. As a result, and miraculously, I "successfully" finished my degree. I've worked as an engineer but I don't find any interest in it.

As you may have guessed by now, I want to pursue medicine in my fullest. With everything set back, I can finally have a clear state of mind to study school to my fullest (I rarely studied during my engineering degree (major thanks to my classmates for helping me get through it)). I would just like to ask SDN if it's possible to do another 4 year undergrad and apply for medical school, given by low GPA in the past. I know that I'll have to commit myself solely to school, but I'll do anything.

Has anyone been in this situation? What do you think? Am I being unreasonable?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you still have a great shot if you apply yourself and take all the pre-recs.
I am a post-bacc, but where I go to school there is also a masters degree program in medical sciences. I have heard from admissions counselors and from students at my school, that masters programs (only about a semester longer than a typical post-bacc program) are very useful for individuals with low cumulative GPA's. If you do well in those programs, volunteer, etc, then you most certainly will be competitive. I have heard many success stories at my school.

Best of luck to you.

Hey, you might want to ask LizzyM in the Adcoms advice sticky thread at the top. She'll definitely have some good (semi-official) insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the encouragement and information

I'll post to the adcomm.

Thanks

Thanks so much for the encouragement and information

I'll post to the adcomm.

Thanks

Hey, and I should have said when I posted before -- I think you definitely have a good shot! Engineering is tough $hi#. (Ha... I know) and I think adcoms are aware of it! That said, I think you'll still hear that you'll need to bring your GPA back up. It'll take some time, but it's definitely better than rotting in an engineering job you don't enjoy. Best of luck :thumbup:

I pretty much did what you are trying to do. I graduated with a low GPA with no thoughts of medicine, discovered that I wanted to be a doctor, and proceeded to take every single prerequisite either for the first time or over again. It took me 2.5 years, but it was worth every bit of the time I spent and the money I wasn't earning. Part of the reason I did it was because it couldn't be done. Just get a little attitude and prove yourself. Good luck.