Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

I made my interviewer cry...?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Lilsebastian93, 09.19.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Lilsebastian93

Lilsebastian93

Hi guys,

I had my first ever interview today and I'm not sure how to feel. When answering the "greatest challenge" question I talked about my adverse childhood. My interviewer (the director of admissions) started to cry... Is this bad? Should I be concerned? She apologized and said that doesn't happen often. I didn't provide too much detail nor did I mean to make it a sob story... Sorry just feeling unsure about such a different reaction than I've heard of in interviews ! Thanks :)

lumpyduster likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. hoihaie

hoihaie Banned Banned

Medical Student
    congrats on getting into med school!

4. Afford

Afford

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Yeah I agree. You're probably in unless you made her cry tears of anger.

5. ThisCouldBeYou

ThisCouldBeYou

Pre-Medical
    Wow, that must be quite a childhood. Not only that, but your story-telling must be incredibly vivid. (I mean that in a nice way.) Well done.

6. 911 Turbo

911 Turbo MS-1 Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    If your story wasn't that sad then it is sort of weird/awkward/unprofessional for your interviewer to start crying. Probably some other factors going on in her life right now?

Mr Roboto likes this.
  7. Ismet

Ismet PGY-fun SDN Administrator 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    One of my interviewers at Michigan told me that my PS made him tear up. Ended up on the waitlist, which no one ever gets off.

It's certainly not a bad thing to move someone to tears with your story, but there are a lot of other factors that go into an admissions decision. And usually the director of admissions doesn't have a vote in the committee, though they can certainly sway opinions.

noolsy likes this.
  8. johnnytest

johnnytest MS-2 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If that was your top school then I would withdraw from all other apps. lol jk don't do that. But that's pretty darn cool. Sorry for your adverse childhood though. Hope you hear good news.

9. thegypsyqueen

thegypsyqueen 2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Last edited: 03.21.15
  10. Lilsebastian93

Lilsebastian93

Wow! Thanks guys for the responses. I really hope it means that! :) and my story has to do with issues at home leading to living alone at a very young age and supporting myself financially. But I didn't tell it in a graphic/overly detailed dramatic way so I was just caught off gaurd by the intensity of the reaction. The school is one of my top choices!

Last edited: 09.19.14

About the ads