I made my interviewer cry...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilsebastian93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I had my first ever interview today and I'm not sure how to feel. When answering the "greatest challenge" question I talked about my adverse childhood. My interviewer (the director of admissions) started to cry... Is this bad? Should I be concerned? She apologized and said that doesn't happen often. I didn't provide too much detail nor did I mean to make it a sob story... Sorry just feeling unsure about such a different reaction than I've heard of in interviews ! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
congrats on getting into med school!

Reactions: 30 users
Yeah I agree. You're probably in unless you made her cry tears of anger.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that must be quite a childhood. Not only that, but your story-telling must be incredibly vivid. (I mean that in a nice way.) Well done.

congrats on getting into med school!

One of my interviewers at Michigan told me that my PS made him tear up. Ended up on the waitlist, which no one ever gets off.

It's certainly not a bad thing to move someone to tears with your story, but there are a lot of other factors that go into an admissions decision. And usually the director of admissions doesn't have a vote in the committee, though they can certainly sway opinions.

Reactions: 1 user
If that was your top school then I would withdraw from all other apps. lol jk don't do that. But that's pretty darn cool. Sorry for your adverse childhood though. Hope you hear good news.

Wow! Thanks guys for the responses. I really hope it means that! :) and my story has to do with issues at home leading to living alone at a very young age and supporting myself financially. But I didn't tell it in a graphic/overly detailed dramatic way so I was just caught off gaurd by the intensity of the reaction. The school is one of my top choices!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users