I messed up!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sths

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really desperate for some advice...I'm going to finish my undergrad degree in spring 07 and I'm hoping to get into medical school in fall 07. The problem is that I'll be done with organic chem I this semester and since I cant take Organic II in the summer, I'll have to wait to take it in fall 06. I've taken organic chem before in high school (in another country) and I've taken a lot of practice MCATs and I'm doing ok. I'm going to take the MCAT in this summer...
I'm thinking of applying early to med schools (like around on june) so that I can get a chance in the rolling admissions....but will my applications be rejected because I dont have Orgo II? I dont even think that I can get any interviews.....I'm a texas resident so I'm applying to all the Texas medical schools except for Baylor, UTSW and A&M.....I'm also planning to apply to some DO schools....

What are my chances?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine that you need to at least have your basic sciences completed before applying. Take your classes do well in them, then take your MCAT. There is no reason to rush things, unless you really have to, but I take it your still young. I say study for the MCAT from now until next april, then apply. Best of luck.

I think you should be fine as long as your other organic chem is alright. I think tho that you have to have all of the prereqs before applying. I would recommend calling all of the schools in TX and ask. ASAP. When you say you are applying to some DO schools, I am assuming you mean out of state? I would call those schools too. Dont apply to the ones that you dont qualify for. Why cant you take orgo 2 this summer. I know that it is slightly frowned upon, but desperate times call for desperate measures. When you call these schools ask them what they think. Some schools dont mind summer prereqs as much as others. Orgo is not easy in a regular long semester, I think that it says alot to get an A in a short summer class, it says that you are organized and study hard no matter what the time length of the class. Also it could be better for you to study for just one class and concentrate on getting an A. Good luck. I am applying TMDSAS also. Almost done just need my grades. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
i am almost certain that you do NOT have to have all of your pre-reqs done before applying. You DO have to have them finished before you would be enrolling to medical school. When you are filling out AMCAS you would indicate when you plan on taking orgo II. If you are in doubt I would just contact the admissions offices of schools you plan on applying to and ask them if it is ok that you are taking a pre-req in your senior year. Medical schools just want you to have the pre-reqs done before you enroll into their programs.

I have a similar situation but in regards to not having an english course and the schools that I've contacted have said that you need to have your prereqs done before you matriculate. So you're fine applying for this june and as long as you have everything done before next sept you're good to go.

rup47 said:
i am almost certain that you do NOT have to have all of your pre-reqs done before applying. You DO have to have them finished before you would be enrolling to medical school. When you are filling out AMCAS you would indicate when you plan on taking orgo II. If you are in doubt I would just contact the admissions offices of schools you plan on applying to and ask them if it is ok that you are taking a pre-req in your senior year. Medical schools just want you to have the pre-reqs done before you enroll into their programs.

Yes, I agree with this person. I know of a lot of situations when people didn't have their prereqs done.

I stand corrected then. Sorry been a while since the undergrad days. Best of luck.

Oh ok...thanks for the replies. In that case I guess I could be fine. I wish I could take orgo in the summer but I cant (family issues). So I need orgoII finished before I enter med school? I was thinking that medical schools in Texas are really strict and they do expect you to have all pre-reqs complete before even applying....

UNTHSC-TCOM doesn't mind if you haven't finished OCHEM before applying, or at least, they told me over the phone that it was fine if I would be taking the classes after the application close date. Just make sure you note it on your application.

jace's mom said:
UNTHSC-TCOM doesn't mind if you haven't finished OCHEM before applying, or at least, they told me over the phone that it was fine if I would be taking the classes after the application close date. Just make sure you note it on your application.

I'm second year, so I don't know how things have changed, but I hadn't finished Physics before I applied and I got interviews at all 6 Texas MD schools, so I don't think ANY of them mind. I'm sure they figure if you've taken the MCAT and done well, you know your stuff.

It WAS brought up at a couple interviews, sort of a "your apps look great, I see physics is scheduled but u need to make sure take it and send us the transcript." And then when I got into UTH, they send me a letter reminding me they need that score and not receiving it is grounds for taking back the acceptance. very scary, i made sure i did well despite the excessive partying

ssm82 said:
I'm second year, so I don't know how things have changed, but I hadn't finished Physics before I applied and I got interviews at all 6 Texas MD schools, so I don't think ANY of them mind.
Thanks. I have only spoken with TCOM so far, so I couldn't address the others. :)

sths said:
I'm really desperate for some advice...I'm going to finish my undergrad degree in spring 07 and I'm hoping to get into medical school in fall 07. The problem is that I'll be done with organic chem I this semester and since I cant take Organic II in the summer, I'll have to wait to take it in fall 06. I've taken organic chem before in high school (in another country) and I've taken a lot of practice MCATs and I'm doing ok. I'm going to take the MCAT in this summer...
I'm thinking of applying early to med schools (like around on june) so that I can get a chance in the rolling admissions....but will my applications be rejected because I dont have Orgo II? I dont even think that I can get any interviews.....I'm a texas resident so I'm applying to all the Texas medical schools except for Baylor, UTSW and A&M.....I'm also planning to apply to some DO schools....

What are my chances?
Thanks

It is ok if you dont have all of your prereq completed before you apply. However you have to complete them before you matriculate.

But some schools might wait to see what grade you earn in that orgo II class...others will make a decision even before you get a grade and will then make your matricualtion contingent upon that grade

good luck

Definitely you should take ORGO II this summer then you will be all set. It's not worth the chance of a whole round of apps without it.

You're fine. You have to finish your pre-reqs before entering med school, not applying. I applied, got accepted, then finished my last pre-req two weeks ago. Woohoo~~