I might be regretting my #1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICUMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I really liked a few of the programs at which I interviewed, and I really had a hard time deciding btwn my #1 and #2 program to rank one of them #1. I went with one, certified it, and am now having some regrets. Both have given the "under the table handshake" that if I ranked them first, I'd be guaranteed to match there.

Anyway, I assume nothing can be done, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any bright ideas. In the end, I'm sure I'm splitting hairs and I'd be happy at either, but I'm not sure what all these 2nd guesses and doubts are about, or whether there's anything I can do to reverse the ranks at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Man, its over.

You need to realize that by submitting a list means contractually that you are 'happy to go there' unless you match somewhere else. And the fact that you are agonizing over number one and number two, the difference cannot bevery much. You are most likely headed for a happy day on match day. Let me tell you that I was happier as a resident at my number two place than I would have been at my number one, seriously.

Don't worry about about those 'under the table handshakes." They can be misleading. Many people told me at every place I went "Hey see you soon" nudge, budge, wink, wink. But I matched at only one. Seriously, sometimes some programs try to get every applicant to rank them as high as possible if not number one, just so they match the ones they actually want the most.

To all you who just submitted your lists:

RELAX!!! Its over for now, chill out, read something besides airline schedules, and stop ironing those dress shirts! Enjoy the last few months of your fourth year, and celebrate the he11 out of graduation.

You will be fine!

I've felt some buyer's remorse myself, but more concerning my #5 spot, so hopefully that's irrelevant anyway. And I'm starting to worry that my #1 spot might not have a rigorous enough internship year, and that I will miss out on the character-and-skills building aspects of a truly brutal internship. Oh well.

But there's also a certain relief from knowing that it's all just going to happen now, so best to kick back, with a cold one when appropriate, and just wait it all out.

I think I'll be equally happy, for a multitude of different reasons, at any one of my top 4. That's a pretty good feeling. Now, if I go deeper than that...

-Skip