I need a grade booster ASAP!

Started by starrsgirl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

starrsgirl

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My first and only choice PT school requires a 3.0 overall GPA. I'm a non traditional student and my undergrad GPA from 10 years ago was dismal (2.6). Since then, I've complete a Masters with a 4.0 and taken my pre reqs at a community college with a 4.0. However, my overall GPA averaging everything in is still only coming up to a 2.99. I'm right on the cusp. So, I'm thinking of signing up for an online community college course this summer to ensure than I meet the minimum 3.0 by anyone's calculations by the time the application is due in October.

Which class would you choose? None of these are required for my school's pre reqs. Do you think it makes a difference what I take? I'm confident in my ability to get an A in any of them.

Genetics - higher biology level class. I personally would be the most interested in taking this one.

Medical Terminology - not required by my school but it required by some other schools should I not get in this year and possibly consider applying to other schools in the future (although unlikely for me....married with kids and husband has a good job in the area).

English Composition - my undergrad school actually didn't offer anything that meets the requirements here which amuses me because I was a liberal arts major and wrote extensively. Oh well. So this is another course that my school doesn't require but other PT schools in different areas might.

Technical writing - upper level version of English Composition.
 
If you don't need any more prerecs then your choice should be between a class that interests you and a class that would be super easy (if you just want one more A).

I would reccommend figuring out what specific schools you are going to apply to and then go from there.
 
I would recommend that you take either genetics or medical terminology.

Many of the schools that I applied to preferred applicants to boost a lower GPA with additional biology/science courses, rather than a random easy class. One other factor to consider would be how much time you have to study. From my own experience I found genetics to be slightly more involved than medical terminology. Good luck with whatever you choose!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I second the recommendation to take genetics or medical terminology. Taking a science course (and doing well in it) to boost your GPA will look really good. Also, many schools acknowledge an upward trend in grades, or look at only the last 60 or 80 units.
 
I say medical terminology. Youre eventually going to need to learn a lot of those terms, and might as well go into your program already knowing them, rather than struggling to learn them as well as learn your program information. Plus, I took it before and it is a pretty easy A in my opinion
 
Medical terminology. In three hours a week you can earn a solid A. Genetics would be a little more invovled, but managable. Also, MT is more pertinent than genetics. I think the PAs need to take that but not PTs. Definitely take a science class, not some irrelavent liberal arts class.

I think 2.99 is so close, especially considering your pre-req GPA, that schools would round up. I mean 3.0 is two sigfigs, so 2.99-> 3.0, right?

Kevin
 
Thanks for the responses. I ended up signing up for genetics mostly because I feel the strongest interest in that course.

I just hope it's enough to get someone to actually look at my application instead of toss me because of my seemingly low cumulative GPA. I wish my school just did the science GPA or last 80 hours!!!! But no such luck (I am only applying to UNMC).
 
In that case I recommend the book Board Review Series: Genetics. Consulting a second source always helps to clarify things.

Kevin