Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

I need advice/opinions

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by CYBERtDDS, Jan 1, 2009.

1. CYBERtDDS

Pre-Dental
    I have offers from the University of Minnesota and Marquette University. I really liked both schools. I've been losing sleep for the last couple of weeks thinking about it because I don't want to make the wrong decision and regret it later. I've been awarded a 4-year Navy Health Professions Scholarship, so cost of tuition isn't a factor. They are also both close to home. Which school will give me a better, well-rounded education? I would like to put my deposit down by the end of next week. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks and Happy New Year!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TJNova2011

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Congrats on the HPSP scholarship and acceptances! What are you looking for? Marquette has a smaller class (80) and Minnesota is more of a research based institution. Both institutions are excellent, what city did you like better?

Although some may argue, I personally believe institutions that are more focused on the clinics, produced a more well-rounded dentist. Large research institutions are crazy for productive research and I feel the clinics are not as strong.

That's my two sense.

#2 TJNova2011, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  4. buckleman

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey CybertDDS,

I would say that it depends on whether you want to be a general practitioner or consider some research in your career and go off into specialization. The specialization at Marquette is very competitive and do not have many seats. You do however begin to have patients your first year there, thus the clinical experience at MU is fantastic. I'm not sure about Minnesota. One thing about MU, there is no research opportunity so if you want to do research, you'll have to go elsewhere to gain the experience.
    MU = small class = more help available from professors; most professors are willing to help if you are struggling.
    best of luck.