I need help from currently enrolled students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

projectOD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year I've applied to and have been accepted to several optometry schools, but I'm having a little trouble deciding on which one to attend. I've done my own research of the pros and cons of the schools that I'm seriously considering, but I'm lacking actual student experiences. So, I was wondering if those you that attend either SUNY or ICO could share your overall experiences (good and bad). I'd really appreciate any information you think would be helpful for me to make a better informed decision. SUNY and ICO are the 2 schools that I've narrowed it down to. The other schools that I've been accepted to are: MCO, UMSL, Indiana, Ohio State, NECO, and PCO. Although I'm leaning more towards SUNY and ICO, I'd appreciate student experiences from any of those other mentioned schools. Thanks a lot for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

First, why did you apply to so many schools? I applied to five and thought I was overdoing it.

Second, sit down with a calculator and figure out where you can get an optometric education for the least amount of money. You'll get a great education at pretty much all the schools. You need to figure out which will leave you in the least amount of debt after four years. You'll thank me later.

You're right I think I applied to too many schools. I guess that I overestimated the competitiveness of optometry school.

Anyway, although I appreciate your suggestion for me for determining costs and such, I actually already calculated all those costs. Calculating costs and everything is actually what I meant in my original post when I mentioned that I did my personal research of the pros and cons (this includes basically everything I could research on my own which would be tuition, living expenses, boards, etc.). The only information that I would like to learn more about is students' experiences. And I understand that everyone's experience will be different, but from where I am right now, I think hearing some experiences will help me.

I hope this makes things a little clearer. Thanks for your post.

Everyone's experiences are going to be different. Some people like certain aspects of one school, while others hate that aspect. This is really something you have to decide on your own. You visited the schools, you know about them, decide whats most imporant to you and which school best offers that.

For me, I chose PCO because I got a contract seat, which made my tuition cheaper, my extended family lives in Pennsylvania, it is the only school close enough to home to reasonably drive to (I'm from NC), and I really love the extra 1/2 year of rotations.