I need help!!!! (re: $$$)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reelgirl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a freshman in college and, after volunteering for the Red Cross for many hours, I have finally chosen my career path: Nursing! Such a noble profession. Well, my current college doesn't have a nursing major, so I am going to stay at this school for my first two years and take all of the required courses, and then transfer to a different school for my last 2 years.

Okay, now my dream school is NYU School of Nursing. I have the stats to get accepted (most likely :)) but I definately don't have the money. I want to go to NYU because I plan on working in NYC after graduation anyway...I love the city and all of my relatives live there. Unfortunately, NYU has a terrible rep for financial aid...

I am looking for scholarships, but I pretty much need close to a full ride (I can probably only afford $10K/year, including room and board!) I was looking at Rush University in Chicago and they have a scholarship where they will pay for your last 2 years of nursing school if you agree to work in their hospital for 2 years after graduation. This sounds like a great deal for me, except that I want to attend NYU. Does anyone know of any scholarships like this, other than Rush, that will allow me to attend my last 2 years for free in exchange for 2 years of service in an understaffed hospital? I contacted NYU about this, but I haven't gotten a real answer yet...they keep putting me on hold and passing me off to different people who don't know how to answer my question. Should I contact Bellevue or Mt. Sinai or St. Vincent's and ask them if they'd be willing to pay for nursing school if I agree to work at their hospital?? I don't even know who to ask there! Is this even heard of?!

Please, please, please...I am begging for a response! If you know ANYTHING about this, please respond! And I know that some of you might want to suggest other schools, but (for now at least) I want to focus on my dream school. Thank you so much, everyone! I am very grateful for your help!! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

hello reelgirl,

have you thought about the military scholarships? you may qualify and they do have some nice perks if you don't mind working for the governement..

Originally posted by wsu:
•hello reelgirl,

have you thought about the military scholarships? you may qualify and they do have some nice perks if you don't mind working for the governement..•

Yes, I thought about it for about a minute. But I REALLY don't want to enlist in the military!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi reelgirl,

Are you a NYS resident? If you are and you meet the financial criteria, you should be eligible for TAP. Now, I haven't lived in the state for a while, so I'm not sure how much they will cover, but it's a start. Another thing to look into are Regents scholarships or grants (I think the scholarship depends on how well you did on your SAT). Short of this I am not sure about the rest of your questions but this might be a start. Contact the Directors of Nursing at these institutions for more info, they may have loan forgiveness programs. Best of luck :cool:

1st, you wouldnt ENLIST you would be an officer and would work as a nurse not a soldier. 2nd, the program that would benifit you would be the ROTC nursing scholarship. Upon completion you go to an army hospital (although not usually understaffed) and work as a nurse. You would also have many continuing education opportunities that would not add to your obligation and some that would such as CRNA.

This post is only for clarification. I checked the definition of enlist and it simply means to engage the services of personnel for the armed services. If reelgirl chose to enlist she would indeed be an officer and would not be enlisted personnel (back in the stone ages when I was ROTC, that was E1-E9). The military term of "enlisted personnel" are persons that have ranks lower than comissioned officers.

NYU is one of the most expensive universities in the USA. Unless you already live with family in NYC, the cost of renting and living in NYC is high. Without denigrating the quality of the education at NYU (or Cornell and Columbia), you can get a good nursing education just about anywhere, including the state universities. In NYC, there is a much less expensive nursing program at the state medical school, SUNY-Brooklyn, and elsewhere in NY state at the three other SUNY medical schools. The City University also has nursing programs. When seeking employment, earning a nursing degree from NYU confers no particular advantage, certainly not in proportion to the cost, over nursing degrees from elsewhere. Most financial aid consists of borrowed money: one disadvantage of any expensive private nursing school is that you will be deeply in debt by the time you are capped. Rethink your strategy.

gower said:
NYU is one of the most expensive universities in the USA. Unless you already live with family in NYC, the cost of renting and living in NYC is high. Without denigrating the quality of the education at NYU (or Cornell and Columbia), you can get a good nursing education just about anywhere, including the state universities. In NYC, there is a much less expensive nursing program at the state medical school, SUNY-Brooklyn, and elsewhere in NY state at the three other SUNY medical schools. The City University also has nursing programs. When seeking employment, earning a nursing degree from NYU confers no particular advantage, certainly not in proportion to the cost, over nursing degrees from elsewhere. Most financial aid consists of borrowed money: one disadvantage of any expensive private nursing school is that you will be deeply in debt by the time you are capped. Rethink your strategy.

I can't speak for the nursing school but I can say that NYU's undergrad and med schools offer one of the best FA packages I've seen. On average, graduates leave with less tha $100,000 in debt-- much less than other schools like NU, Tufts, BU and other private schools. Also Housing, thank God for housing, NYU's housing is among the cheapest in the City. 615 per month for a studio: you can't beat that with a stick.

No one is going to care where you got your degree from. There is no way the I would go 100k in debt for a nursing degree that you can get from a community college for 10k. Granted you won't have that fancy deploma saying NYU but you will have enough money for a house afterwards. There are advantages to getting a BSN over an associates but the everyday practices of the two are the same unless you want to further your education. Trying to pay back a $1000 school loan payment on a new grads salary is just rediculous to think of. Good luck.

There is no difference in which nursing school you go to once you graduate. The nursing diagnosis garbage they teach you will be relatively irrelevant once you get out. The pathophysiology and such that you really need doesn't change from school to school. Pick the cheapest state school that offers a bachelor's degree and apply there. No one cares where you went. Just my opinion.
Pat, RN, PA-C, MPAS

Wow...why jump on reelgirl with all four feet just because she/he wants to go to NYU? Would people be so critical if she'd said, "My dream is to go to Harvard for med school"? Maybe some others in her family studied there. Maybe her dog got his obedience training there...what's it matter?

Is there any possibility you can work while you're in school? Some hospitals have a pretty good tuition reimbursement program. You also might want to post your question here.

BigRedPingpong said:
On average, graduates leave with less tha $100,000 in debt-- much less than other schools like NU, Tufts, BU and other private schools.

can you have your med school people come talk to our dental school. I would say the avg debt from NYUCD is well over 200k. And we do not have that cheap of rent either for a studio... :(

You might consider CUNY Hunter. It is well located on 1st Ave & 25th St, in Manhattan. Some pre-reg are offered at the 68th St campus. It is a rigorous well regarded program and affordable program.