I need help ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nokia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi ....
Im a guy from india , 23 yrs . & i`m doing MBBS 7th semester . MBBS= bachelor of medicine & bachelor of surgery . I think i have been depressed for quite a long time ( 3-4 yrs)i feel well for 3-4 days & then there comes a day or twoo when i feel so low . And this cycle keeps repeating itself . a year erliere i was depreesed most the days of a week but then i made a good progress by removing certaing factors wi\hcich i think were related to it .So here i`m doing well most of the days but those "low' days really drive me nuts . i don`t have a family h/o of depression . I have tried many a times to come out of it by consulting psychologists but it has`t been worth a good result . Actually i really hate to pour it all over again here .
I have started daily yoga but some meditation & i want to complement it with a n anti-depressent . i`m going for moclobemeide which is thought to the safest among the actegory . i know that it`s for mild to moderate depression so i think it suits me . `im going toi start at 150 mg daily dose in two divided doses . 75mg after morning meal & 75mg after lunch ( to avoid insomnia ) . i hjave no disease for which it`s contraindicated or precautions need to b taken .
I want to know ...
1) am i doing right in trems of preacutions & dose ?
2) how long sholud i take it after i feel i can live without it ? 2-3 months ?

I just hope u guys will have something for me ..advice , suggestion or rebuke , jist everything is welcome .......I just want to live a damn f***ing normal life .

Members don't see this ad.

are MAO-I's still widely used in india? do you think it's wise to prescribe your own treatment plan?

please see a qualified psychiatrist whose judgment you trust. as you assuredly know, this is not a forum for medical advice.

best wishes

thanx for replying . .. i have already consulted two of them in last 3-4 yeras ...but they just do`tb seen to understand me . i felt like i was being labelised as just another case of depreession . & now more painful for me is to just go to another psychologist & describe all my story all over again . coz everytime i have to tell it to someone ..everything becomes so clear in my mind ..i have to tell them all my traumtic moments ..whgich yields nothing coz i know they r the reason for my depression ..& damn it i want to forget that . i lostb two years during my med school & i`m staying away from home . my parents don`t understand me ..my father thinks all i need is jutsa good spanking ..my mother ...just can`t botrher her more ...they don`t accept that i have depresion ..grrr.....& teachers they think i`m just lazy .**** that man ..they r ina med college & those i have asked for help ..just seem to b pampering me ..like i`m akid ..who is just lazy ..lecturing me abt what to do what not to do ....& then i met these psychologists who just want to listen & then ask those stereotypical questions..man i m fed up with thi s..i know i`m depressed & all iw ant is a good decent normal life ..there miught b ppl who can help me out of this ..but should i go on telling every other doc abt myself ? may b i`m stretching it too far ..but this just reflects state of mind `im in . i have read all abt depression whereever i could ..library , internet ..& just wanted to try it myself that i ca come out of it ..i do`t have any addictions or something ..fearing that i ca get addcited to antidepressents , even though moclo isn`t addicitive . & If i fail ..say i still do`t feel good abt myself after this trial , i`m just gonna surrender myself to my parents or doc ..whatever they do ....but first i want to take control of my life ..being a med student i know what `im doing ..!

Members don't see this ad :)
nokia said:
thanx for replying . .. i have already consulted two of them in last 3-4 yeras ...but they just do`tb seen to understand me . i felt like i was being labelised as just another case of depreession . & now more painful for me is to just go to another psychologist & describe all my story all over again . coz everytime i have to tell it to someone ..everything becomes so clear in my mind ..i have to tell them all my traumtic moments ..whgich yields nothing coz i know they r the reason for my depression ..& damn it i want to forget that . i lostb two years during my med school & i`m staying away from home . my parents don`t understand me ..my father thinks all i need is jutsa good spanking ..my mother ...just can`t botrher her more ...they don`t accept that i have depresion ..grrr.....& teachers they think i`m just lazy .**** that man ..they r ina med college & those i have asked for help ..just seem to b pampering me ..like i`m akid ..who is just lazy ..lecturing me abt what to do what not to do ....& then i met these psychologists who just want to listen & then ask those stereotypical questions..man i m fed up with thi s..i know i`m depressed & all iw ant is a good decent normal life ..there miught b ppl who can help me out of this ..but should i go on telling every other doc abt myself ? may b i`m stretching it too far ..but this just reflects state of mind `im in . i have read all abt depression whereever i could ..library , internet ..& just wanted to try it myself that i ca come out of it ..i do`t have any addictions or something ..fearing that i ca get addcited to antidepressents , even though moclo isn`t addicitive . & If i fail ..say i still do`t feel good abt myself after this trial , i`m just gonna surrender myself to my parents or doc ..whatever they do ....but first i want to take control of my life ..being a med student i know what `im doing ..!

Hang in there my friend.....one day at a time and no matter how hard, one foot in front of the other, im also a 23 yo male a graduate student in molecular biology wanting to go to med school. find a good psychologist to talk too, although they dont give meds they are a great resource...I know how it feels to deal with this sort of thing
if you have any questions just drop me a line
-mike

MSc44 said:
Hang in there my friend.....one day at a time and no matter how hard, one foot in front of the other, im also a 23 yo male a graduate student in molecular biology wanting to go to med school. find a good psychologist to talk too, although they dont give meds they are a great resource...I know how it feels to deal with this sort of thing
if you have any questions just drop me a line
-mike
thanx alot mike ...i really appreciate u had some word for me ..thanx a lot .. if i need ur help ..i`m gonna message u :thumbup:

nokia said:
hi ....
Im a guy from india , 23 yrs . & i`m doing MBBS 7th semester . MBBS= bachelor of medicine & bachelor of surgery . I think i have been depressed for quite a long time ( 3-4 yrs)i feel well for 3-4 days & then there comes a day or twoo when i feel so low . And this cycle keeps repeating itself . a year erliere i was depreesed most the days of a week but then i made a good progress by removing certaing factors wi\hcich i think were related to it .So here i`m doing well most of the days but those "low' days really drive me nuts . i don`t have a family h/o of depression . I have tried many a times to come out of it by consulting psychologists but it has`t been worth a good result . Actually i really hate to pour it all over again here .
I have started daily yoga but some meditation & i want to complement it with a n anti-depressent . i`m going for moclobemeide which is thought to the safest among the actegory . i know that it`s for mild to moderate depression so i think it suits me . `im going toi start at 150 mg daily dose in two divided doses . 75mg after morning meal & 75mg after lunch ( to avoid insomnia ) . i hjave no disease for which it`s contraindicated or precautions need to b taken .
I want to know ...
1) am i doing right in trems of preacutions & dose ?
2) how long sholud i take it after i feel i can live without it ? 2-3 months ?

I just hope u guys will have something for me ..advice , suggestion or rebuke , jist everything is welcome .......I just want to live a damn f***ing normal life .
1. Don't ever, ever try to self-medicate yourself. You don't even know whether you have major dep d/o or something else-you need to ck w/ a different M.D. Psychologists are fine, but you should get a opinion from another M.D., if you are dissatisfied w/ the first one. There are lot of things which resemble clinical depression and which are often comorbid w/ MDD to complicate the matter more.
2. Any med tx of depression takes anything between 9mo to 18 mo or even longer to remit dep. You may feel better after few weeks but that should not falsely encourage you to drop out of tx.
3. As previous posts said, hang in there. In India and other Asian countries (from what cross-cultural training I have) it's much difficult to accept a mental illness, more so if you are a male. And on top of that you are probably a MS III/IV, which is a huge challenge. So you've some tough problems to address which I guess also driving up the stress. Get a perspective on your life, get some CBT(if available) and see a qualified psychiatrist who understands you. :)
Good Luck.

mdblue said:
1. Don't ever, ever try to self-medicate yourself. You don't even know whether you have major dep d/o or something else-you need to ck w/ a different M.D. Psychologists are fine, but you should get a opinion from another M.D., if you are dissatisfied w/ the first one. There are lot of things which resemble clinical depression and which are often comorbid w/ MDD to complicate the matter more.
2. Any med tx of depression takes anything between 9mo to 18 mo or even longer to remit dep. You may feel better after few weeks but that should not falsely encourage you to drop out of tx.
3. As previous posts said, hang in there. In India and other Asian countries (from what cross-cultural training I have) it's much difficult to accept a mental illness, more so if you are a male. And on top of that you are probably a MS III/IV, which is a huge challenge. So you've some tough problems to address which I guess also driving up the stress. Get a perspective on your life, get some CBT(if available) and see a qualified psychiatrist who understands you. :)
Good Luck.
thanx buddy....thanx for understanding ..it`s really tough in here ..i wud try t o get CBT , if its` possible ....thanx for ur advice once again.