I need Pharmacists!

Started by Its Z
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hey...I wanted to do retail but no one gave me a chance. I'm not bitter about it at all since I never did retail and didn't deserve a job anyways.

It's not my fault no one gives anyone a chance.

So nobody gave you a chance, now you're gonna turn around and not give someone a chance? lol interesting...viscous cycle
 
So nobody gave you a chance, now you're gonna turn around and not give someone a chance? lol interesting...viscous cycle

Not quite. If you read this thread carefully, you should've read that I hired a retail pharmacist.
I have given many chances. So the viscous cycle you speak of is completely false.

Despite not getting the chance, I still give it.

Not because I believe people deserve a chance rather I believe the most competent should be given the chance, not just because everyone deserves it for the sake of deserving it.

Like it or not, I have 30+ resumes for 1 spot. You can talk all you want about giving someone a chance.... but all you ever done was work CVS then you're just not going to get a call...LOL.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hire me.....🙂
I have alot more hospital experience than retail.
Although started retail few months back......
Also my future plan is to take the board exam for clinical
By the way where are you located....😛
 
Last edited:
Hire me.....🙂
I have alot more hospital experience than retail.
Although started retail few months back......
Also my future plan is to take the board exam or clinical.
By the way where are you located....😛


Northern Cal
 
Zpaksux was a great screen name. Except it went generic and it didn't suck as much...

So I had to change.

But I do think abc1234567 is very creative.

speaking of generic. you know who i miss? SDN1977.

hmm...eh, i guess as long as the applicant has an @gmail.com address. someone applied to my friend's workplace with an @hotmail.com and everyone kind of laughed a bit. we totally judge your domain name.
 
The 2011 grad isn't necessarily a bad hire.

Sometimes circumstance gets in the way. My wife moved with me to philly fresh after graduation. Because she has no connections or experience, people just trash her resume when they get it. Mostly because ******s like Z think they have them all figured out from the get go. They think an art is a science. She is actually brighter and a harder worker than me. Graduated with honors and all that good crap. Nobody will hire her, residencies look at that year off and don't even invite for an interview...instead they go with some dip**** from usp or jefferson. Talk about depressing. I honestly don't measure up to her intellectually, but due to circumstances, I'm the breadwinner. And a kid that got a full ride to princeton...made it to the nationals in academic triathlon in high school...she can't even get a call back...

...effin sucks.
I know exactly what you mean ......I can relate to it .....It seems that you wrote my story.
I am thinking to become board certified in pharmacotherapy .......long process.....I hope I meet the requirements though.......I really hope .....and its once a year if i miss this year it can easily take 2 years.
I cannot believe that nobody had and nobody is planning to take a lead in making sure that retail pharmacists are not treated like trash........ no food no restroom.....what are we super natural??? and yes tech is a luxury and we are to stand in confined environment for 8-12 hours and smile like that is the best day of our life.
 
Last edited:
I've used gmail for my personal email...and worked well every time I found a new job.

Just make sure you don't have "hotfoxy69@hotmail.." type of email addy.

The last time I talked to SDN1977 was when her daughter was getting married. I know where to find her.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, you can't work in CA as a registered pharmacist. But you already know that.
 
Show some love to one or two of the retail pharmacists. The best kind of employee is one who has suffered and knows how bad things can be. You will get some one who will be enternally greatful and who will appreciates thier job and the opportunity.

Better than some I am Gods gift to pharmacy two year resident who hasn't suffered yet.

Hey mountain applied to the positions you mentioned....ask them to show that love and care to my resume lol
 
I've used gmail for my personal email...and worked well every time I found a new job.

Just make sure you don't have "hotfoxy69@hotmail.." type of email addy.

The last time I talked to SDN1977 was when her daughter was getting married. I know where to find her.

or comic sans on the resume...i've seen that once, we made copies and passed it around (so professional, i know).

i miss her posts, i think it's been like 4-5 years. sheesh married? i thought she just finished medical school, great now *i* feel old, how is this possible talking to you? :meanie:
 
or comic sans on the resume...i've seen that once, we made copies and passed it around (so professional, i know).

i miss her posts, i think it's been like 4-5 years. sheesh married? i thought she just finished medical school, great now *i* feel old, how is this possible talking to you? :meanie:

Last posts I remember were taking her daughter to NC for M2 year or something. Her daughter was on SDN, but I don't know the name. Should be into residency and possibly finishing by now.
 
Not quite. If you read this thread carefully, you should've read that I hired a retail pharmacist.
I have given many chances. So the viscous cycle you speak of is completely false.

Despite not getting the chance, I still give it.

Not because I believe people deserve a chance rather I believe the most competent should be given the chance, not just because everyone deserves it for the sake of deserving it.

Like it or not, I have 30+ resumes for 1 spot. You can talk all you want about giving someone a chance.... but all you ever done was work CVS then you're just not going to get a call...LOL.

I'm trying to get hospital experience, but I need the DOP to call in sick more. 😳 My per diem job is purely staffing. Walgreens has been more clinical than the hospital. I can't even change standard QD = 9am levothyroxine to am ac. DOP here has autosubs on several things but we can't switch timing of doses. I've seen 9am singulair, simvastatin and synthroid.
 
A hospital gig....Not too bad, hope you get some well qualified candidates.

Like some people have stated here, you might be better off going with B+ joe with a great attitude than some of these holier than thou pgy2s. [ disclaimer: not all overachievers are holier than thou, but most are]
 
Last edited:
Im not looking for pgy1 or 2. Im looking for the right pharmacist. Like I said before 1 position just got filled with a retail pharmacist with 3 years experience. Im not looking for degrees or certificates. Im looking for the one with the right attitude.

Don't think I'd work with someone with your attitude! You seem very balshy!!
 
As a new grad, you know nothing. Everyone thinks they are ready to be clinical right out of school, but they have a lot to learn.

Doing is residency is what gives you hospital experience right out of school and is "giving a chance" for new grads to get start in hospital.
 
Hey...I wanted to do retail but no one gave me a chance. I'm not bitter about it at all since I never did retail and didn't deserve a job anyways. I'm certainly not going to cry foul.

I knew it!!! All that pent up anger from being turned down for a retail position years ago! Now it is time for Z to extract his revenge!
 
speaking of generic. you know who i miss? SDN1977.

hmm...eh, i guess as long as the applicant has an @gmail.com address. someone applied to my friend's workplace with an @hotmail.com and everyone kind of laughed a bit. we totally judge your domain name.

I had her personnal e-mail address and lost it. She was a very good contributor and I miss her as well. Lesson learned. Do not get in a pissing contest with one of the founders of SDN.
 
I've used gmail for my personal email...and worked well every time I found a new job.

Just make sure you don't have "hotfoxy69@hotmail.." type of email addy.

The last time I talked to SDN1977 was when her daughter was getting married. I know where to find her.

Dammit Z! I told you to keep my personnel e-mail address private. You damn Kommiefonia hippies can't be trusted!!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a new grad, you know nothing. Everyone thinks they are ready to be clinical right out of school, but they have a lot to learn.

Doing is residency is what gives you hospital experience right out of school and is "giving a chance" for new grads to get start in hospital.

You're so mean...
 
I'm trying to get hospital experience, but I need the DOP to call in sick more. 😳 My per diem job is purely staffing. Walgreens has been more clinical than the hospital. I can't even change standard QD = 9am levothyroxine to am ac. DOP here has autosubs on several things but we can't switch timing of doses. I've seen 9am singulair, simvastatin and synthroid.

That's because medication administration time is set per policy and you can't just change it. Your timing sucks too.....my positions opened right after you accepted your job.
 
You're so mean...

I didn't know ish coming out of school. Residency has forced me to learn in a short amount of time. I used to think that the people who said one year of resi was equal to three years of work were full of crap, but I can see how that could be true. I still have a lot to learn, but love my position and wouldn't trade learning more for the world.
 
On a serious note....Working in a hospital is not for everyone. It is extremely difficult and requires about 1000 times more knowledge and skill than working retail. I worked in a very big and very busy hospital as an intern during pharmacy school. I have been a retail pharmacist for 8 years. I would love to get on at a hospital now. I know enough about hospital pharmacy to know that I would not be very much help to them for a long time. The chances of making a mistake and killing someone because you do not now what you are doing is very likly in a hospital. Hell in retail CVS got busted for hiring a pharmacist who faked thier license. This person worked for months in the pharmaqcy with zero problems. There is no way I would apply or expect to get a clinical pharmacist position unless I had the experience to back it up.

You want to hire me to be your order entry grunt, do every crap job staff pharmacist then I am your man. I will get in bust my buttt and learn everything I can and someday have your job.
 
On a serious note....Working in a hospital is not for everyone. It is extremely difficult and requires about 1000 times more knowledge and skill than working retail. I worked in a very big and very busy hospital as an intern during pharmacy school. I have been a retail pharmacist for 8 years. I would love to get on at a hospital now. I know enough about hospital pharmacy to know that I would not be very much help to them for a long time. The chances of making a mistake and killing someone because you do not now what you are doing is very likly in a hospital. Hell in retail CVS got busted for hiring a pharmacist who faked thier license. This person worked for months in the pharmaqcy with zero problems. There is no way I would apply or expect to get a clinical pharmacist position unless I had the experience to back it up.

You want to hire me to be your order entry grunt, do every crap job staff pharmacist then I am your man. I will get in bust my buttt and learn everything I can and someday have your job.

I agree 100% on the knowledge part....I worked in retail as a tech and intern for 8 years before coming to residency.
 
I didn't know ish coming out of school. Residency has forced me to learn in a short amount of time. I used to think that the people who said one year of resi was equal to three years of work were full of crap, but I can see how that could be true. I still have a lot to learn, but love my position and wouldn't trade learning more for the world.

Sigh..I used to get blasted for saying that kinda stuff.....

But now you see it don't you.

There are whiny losers who think I should hand out chances.....then there are kids like you, karm12 and njac who went out and earned your chances. I would take you guys in a hearbeat..Heck...I knew you when you were a pre-pharm.

You may not have known but I left a meeting at ashp to go read your poster. You had no idea who I was.:meanie:
 
On a serious note....Working in a hospital is not for everyone. It is extremely difficult and requires about 1000 times more knowledge and skill than working retail.

Not really.

Being a *good* retail pharmacist is a bitch. I don't think you quite appreciate how hard it is to go from the world of dosing antibiotics and sitting in the basement to learning the ins and outs of insurance billing, how to do a complete counseling session, how to deal with the public as a professional, and relearning all of the little things you need to know manning the shift at CVS. What drugs you can take while breastfeeding wasn't even on my radar as a hospital druggist...yet I get calls about that every night it seems.

Being a schmuck is easier to CONCEAL at retail...I'll grant you that...but who wants to be that useless idgit?

I actually got acclimated to being a 50:50 clinical:staff pharmacist straight out of pharmacy school faster than I became proficient at being a retail pharmacist...which honestly, I still don't think has happened yet. Billing medicare baffles me.
 
On a serious note....Working in a hospital is not for everyone. It is extremely difficult and requires about 1000 times more knowledge and skill than working retail. I worked in a very big and very busy hospital as an intern during pharmacy school. I have been a retail pharmacist for 8 years. I would love to get on at a hospital now. I know enough about hospital pharmacy to know that I would not be very much help to them for a long time. The chances of making a mistake and killing someone because you do not now what you are doing is very likly in a hospital. Hell in retail CVS got busted for hiring a pharmacist who faked thier license. This person worked for months in the pharmaqcy with zero problems. There is no way I would apply or expect to get a clinical pharmacist position unless I had the experience to back it up.

You want to hire me to be your order entry grunt, do every crap job staff pharmacist then I am your man. I will get in bust my buttt and learn everything I can and someday have your job.

Cool story brah .... may I subscribe to your newsletter?
 
Not really.

Being a *good* retail pharmacist is a bitch. I don't think you quite appreciate how hard it is to go from the world of dosing antibiotics and sitting in the basement to learning the ins and outs of insurance billing, how to do a complete counseling session, how to deal with the public as a professional, and relearning all of the little things you need to know manning the shift at CVS. What drugs you can take while breastfeeding wasn't even on my radar as a hospital druggist...yet I get calls about that every night it seems.

I actually got acclimated to being a 50:50 clinical:staff pharmacist straight out of pharmacy school faster than I became proficient at being a retail pharmacist...which honestly, I still don't think has happened yet. Billing medicare baffles me.

Wrong recommendation on breastfeeding won't kill a baby.....screw up an electrolyte and you will kill a neonate.
 
Sigh..I used to get blasted for saying that kinda stuff.....

But now you see it don't you.

There are whiny losers who think I should hand out chances.....then there are kids like you, karm12 and njac who went out and earned your chances. I would take you guys in a hearbeat..Heck...I knew you when you were a pre-pharm.

You may not have known but I left a meeting at ashp to go read your poster. You had no idea who I was.:meanie:

Creeper. I think it was probably my third year poster...I was so nervous, I had never done anything like that. You should come by next year and let me show you how poster presentation is done.
 
Can't imagine how hard it is to find the right pharmacist. The majority can learn the clinical hybrid job easily, but so few can gel with the rest of the staff. A person can look stellar on a resume, interview great and pass their 90 days. Then they let their true personality come out and they're a disaster for workplace morale for the next decade.
 
Creeper. I think it was probably my third year poster...I was so nervous, I had never done anything like that. You should come by next year and let me show you how poster presentation is done.

So....you were doing ashp posters as a p3. And others wonder why some are more competitive than others..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not really.

Being a *good* retail pharmacist is a bitch. I don't think you quite appreciate how hard it is to go from the world of dosing antibiotics and sitting in the basement to learning the ins and outs of insurance billing, how to do a complete counseling session, how to deal with the public as a professional, and relearning all of the little things you need to know manning the shift at CVS. What drugs you can take while breastfeeding wasn't even on my radar as a hospital druggist...yet I get calls about that every night it seems. .

Most of what you describe here has nothing to do with the actual practice of pharmacy. You are not going to kill someone if you do any of it incorrectly. Getting calls about breast feeding is no different than having the nurses call down to the pharmacy 50 times a day to ask about compatibility of IV's. Breast feeding look it up on clinical pharmacology. IV's look it up in Trissel's. However you give the wrong answer in a hospital and you can really f someone up.


Being a schmuck is easier to CONCEAL at retail...I'll grant you that...but who wants to be that useless idgit?.

Exactly! You can spend a whole career as an idiopt in retail. If you are an idiot in a hospital eventually you will kill someone.

I actually got acclimated to being a 50:50 clinical:staff pharmacist straight out of pharmacy school faster than I became proficient at being a retail pharmacist...which honestly, I still don't think has happened yet. Billing medicare baffles me.

This is a no brainer. Pharmacy school prepares you to practice pharmacy. This is why you acclimated to hospital so quickly. You said all that needs to be said about retail. Being proficient at retail means learning how to bill insurance and how to take getting yelled at by every idiot that walks in the door. It has nothing to do with practicing pharmacy or what you learned in pharmacy school.
 
Can't imagine how hard it is to find the right pharmacist. The majority can learn the clinical hybrid job easily, but so few can gel with the rest of the staff. A person can look stellar on a resume, interview great and pass their 90 days. Then they let their true personality come out and they're a disaster for workplace morale for the next decade.

And there is a lot of truth here. I know people I really like as individuals but can't stand as coworkers.