i need serious help on applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpmeoutplease

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
background info - SO i just finished 4th year right now and will be graduating next year with BS . I am taking my MCAT this coming october
History - I was involved in academic dishonesty 2 years ago. involvement was cheating and once i was caught , i accepted my guilty. I went through conduct committee and everything, and after explaining that it was brutal but amateur mistake ( lot of other reason why i did it too) . After hearing my reason, the committee placed me on probation, and said i would be under watch until i graduate. My transcript doesnot show that i was ever placed on probation or cheated but i did get F in that class though.
My overall and sGPA is 3.0 . i am not even going to bother applying to Medical school cause i know i am pretty much toast. But if i was wondering if i still have chance in Caribbean medical school or D.O i am pretty much toast because of the probation.
I know i did cheat but i learned a lot from it. I know 2 years to 3 year might not be enough to convenience med school that i have matured academically and mentally but i did get involved in helping out, volunteering after this incident.
1st question .
MOST likely i will apply with explaining my incident, but there is always a second thought in my mind that since its not on my transcript i shouldn't which contradicts my maturity.
Does anybody think i might have chance in Caribbean if i explain everything to them ? or am I pretty much toast for any medical school. DID anybody get into medical school with probation?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
background info - SO i just finished 4th year right now and will be graduating next year with BS . I am taking my MCAT this coming october
History - I was involved in academic dishonesty 2 years ago. involvement was cheating and once i was caught , i accepted my guilty. I went through conduct committee and everything, and after explaining that it was brutal but amateur mistake ( lot of other reason why i did it too) . After hearing my reason, the committee placed me on probation, and said i would be under watch until i graduate. My transcript doesnot show that i was ever placed on probation or cheated but i did get F in that class though.
My overall and sGPA is 3.0 . i am not even going to bother applying to Medical school cause i know i am pretty much toast. But if i was wondering if i still have chance in Caribbean medical school or D.O i am pretty much toast because of the probation.
I know i did cheat but i learned a lot from it. I know 2 years to 3 year might not be enough to convenience med school that i have matured academically and mentally but i did get involved in helping out, volunteering after this incident.
1st question .
MOST likely i will apply with explaining my incident, but there is always a second thought in my mind that since its not on my transcript i shouldn't which contradicts my maturity.
Does anybody think i might have chance in Caribbean if i explain everything to them ? or am I pretty much toast for any medical school. DID anybody get into medical school with probation?
1. DO school is medical school
2. @Goro is the opinion you want

Reactions: 1 users
Since you were the recipient of an institutional action for cheating, your chances are zero.

Why the repost? You posted this in pre-allo on Jul 11, 2014:

background info - SO i just finished 4th year right now and will be graduating next year with BS . I am taking my MCAT this coming september.
History - I was involved in academic dishonesty 2 years ago. involvement was cheating and once i was caught , i accepted my guilt. I went through conduct committee and everything, and after explaining that it was brutal but amateur mistake ( lot of other reason why i did it too) . After hearing my reason, the committee placed me on probation. My transcript doesnot show that i was ever placed on probation or cheated but i did get F in that class though.
My overall and sGPA is 3.0 solid. i am not even going to bother applying to Medical or D.O school cause i know i am pretty much toast. But if i was wondering if i still have chance in caribbean medical school or i am pretty much toast because of the probation.
I know i did cheat but i learned alot from it. I know 2 years to 3 year might not be enough to connivence med school that i have matured but i did get involved in lots of clubs , helping out, volunteering after this incident. which made me some what a better person. blah blah blah ...
MOST likely i will apply with explaining my incident, but there is always a second thought that since its not on my transcript, then i shouldn't .
Does anybody think i might have chance in caribbean if i explain everything to them ? or i am pretty much toast for any medical school. DID anybody get into medical school with probation?

dude, first of all. Your chances are slim because of the cheating incident.
Second, this is an osteopathic school forum and you specifically asked about your chances to get into Caribbean schools.
(quote: "Does anybody think i might have chance in Caribbean if i explain everything to them ? or am I pretty much toast for any medical school. DID anybody get into medical school with probation?")
Third, I'm sure your question was answered in your previous post. Why bother with this one?

Reactions: 1 user
1st question .
Your best bet is to pm goro and gyngyn to see what their thoughts are on the matter, just to get a perspective from an adcom in the US. No clue on the big 4

You have a pulse and access to US loans, so you're probably good to go on the Carib.

It really all depends on your MCAT scores, and were I you I would be putting some serious study time into them.

If you can do very well on the MCAT, enough to show that you really have changed into a successful student (there's really no way to cheat the MCAT) it might make up for your low GPA. When I say well I mean 32+, which is above the average in all DO schools matriculated students and for someone who didn't do stellar in college this far will be a tall order. But it's doable, and there are many guides on the forums in how to do well on the MCAT.

If you do well on your MCAT but not stellar I would suggest grade replacement, a masters program, or a post-bac before you apply to med schools.

You can get around the academic dishonesty, but your test scores better be stellar and I would look into retaking some classes.

I think time is the cure for this....

> You need time to help distance yourself from the cheating
> You need time to do retakes and get your grades up
> You need time to take the MCAT (and DO NOT RUSH IT)
> You need time to settle down and mature a bit. You seem to be all for becoming a doctor but you need to really grasp an understanding of Caribbean vs DO and what that actually entails for your future, residency placement, loans, etc.

I do in fact think that you can still do this. But you need to basically become a true blue non-trad and get some distance between you and undergrad. Finish school as strongly as you can. Then go get a medical or research related job, take a little break from school. Get some real world experience under your belt and when you are ready, study like crazy for 8-10 weeks HARD and take the MCAT. Then have a go at it. As it stands right now, if you apply with both your stats and your record, the money you are spending on the applications is nothing more than a donation to the school. I am not trying to be harsh, but at least from seeing tons of people on these forums with circumstances similar to yours, thats how they did it. Time is the greatest proof that you matured, there are no words that you could say that would convince them otherwise. So while you are waiting, use that time to build up your application and make yourself more competitive. I personally know someone who was in your shoes. They had a serious IA on their record and terrible grades in undergrad. He graduated and then worked for a few years, basically putting aside med school. After some time away from school he went back for a masters and made sure he destroyed it. He did everything absolutely right, he did not half @ss anything. He then spent a huge chunk of time being very dedicated to the MCAT and demolished it. I think he ended up applying with something like a 3.1 UG gpa, 4.0 Masters GPA, 35 MCAT and like 3-4 years of working as a CNA and doing research. He is now currently attending UNC (a top 10 med school). I do indeed believe you can follow a similar path, but I think it will take time and a lot of hard work.

Reactions: 3 users
I think time is the cure for this....

> You need time to help distance yourself from the cheating
> You need time to do retakes and get your grades up
> You need time to take the MCAT (and DO NOT RUSH IT)
> You need time to settle down and mature a bit. You seem to be all for becoming a doctor but you need to really grasp an understanding of Caribbean vs DO and what that actually entails for your future, residency placement, loans, etc.

I do in fact think that you can still do this. But you need to basically become a true blue non-trad and get some distance between you and undergrad. Finish school as strongly as you can. Then go get a medical or research related job, take a little break from school. Get some real world experience under your belt and when you are ready, study like crazy for 8-10 weeks HARD and take the MCAT. Then have a go at it. As it stands right now, if you apply with both your stats and your record, the money you are spending on the applications is nothing more than a donation to the school. I am not trying to be harsh, but at least from seeing tons of people on these forums with circumstances similar to yours, thats how they did it. Time is the greatest proof that you matured, there are no words that you could say that would convince them otherwise. So while you are waiting, use that time to build up your application and make yourself more competitive. I personally know someone who was in your shoes. They had a serious IA on their record and terrible grades in undergrad. He graduated and then worked for a few years, basically putting aside med school. After some time away from school he went back for a masters and made sure he destroyed it. He did everything absolutely right, he did not half @ss anything. He then spent a huge chunk of time being very dedicated to the MCAT and demolished it. I think he ended up applying with something like a 3.1 UG gpa, 4.0 Masters GPA, 35 MCAT and like 3-4 years of working as a CNA and doing research. He is now currently attending UNC (a top 10 med school). I do indeed believe you can follow a similar path, but I think it will take time and a lot of hard work.
i was thinking joining military, not because of this but because i want to go to military as well. before i was going to go after i finish my medical school but in this case i might go before and then reapply to medical school after finishing minimum years of contract.

dude, first of all. Your chances are slim because of the cheating incident.
Second, this is an osteopathic school forum and you specifically asked about your chances to get into Caribbean schools.
(quote: "Does anybody think i might have chance in Caribbean if i explain everything to them ? or am I pretty much toast for any medical school. DID anybody get into medical school with probation?")
Third, I'm sure your question was answered in your previous post. Why bother with this one?
thank you

You can get around the academic dishonesty, but your test scores better be stellar and I would look into retaking some classes.

Test scores are meaningless if nobody can trust you on the wards.

i was thinking joining military, not because of this but because i want to go to military as well. before i was going to go after i finish my medical school but in this case i might go before and then reapply to medical school after finishing minimum years of contract.
That could work and would absolutely help show maturity. You would also get solid benefits after. Nothing wrong with that, that might be a good plan.

Reactions: 1 user