I need some advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nano

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm currently a bio major trying to get into med school. So far i've satisfied my english and bio requirements and still have my chemistries and physics to do. As of now, my GPA is dropping and it is killing me... i thought of changing my major to something in the art degree (interior design or graphics, for example). I want to know if it is a good idea to do that... no one here in my community college or the university i'm transfering to in the fall are giving me any satisfying information. I feel like they are not experienced at all. As for med school, i'm trying to go to George Washington. So what should i do? Should i change my major to something i enjoy more and get a better GPA, which can also give me time to get better grades in my pre-reqs OR get a degree in Biology BA (i'm not willing to do Bio BS or concentrations! too much for me).

I think now i'm just going to take a vote. But please give me your reasoning why you think i should do what i should do.

THANKS EVERYONE! <--- ahaed of time.

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter what your major is, so pick one you'll enjoy and do well in. Courses required for matriculation into medical school vary depending on the school. Those will need to be taken in addition to the requirements for graduation for your major. Check out the website of your school of choice and others as well, as you would be foolish to limit your application to one school unless you are a sterling candidate.

A high GPA is very important. Aim to get mostly As from now on.

If you don't love biology and do well in it at the community college level, you will probably have difficulty with it at the 4-year university and in medical school. Consider your goals carefully.

Hi everyone. I'm currently a bio major trying to get into med school. So far i've satisfied my english and bio requirements and still have my chemistries and physics to do. As of now, my GPA is dropping and it is killing me... i thought of changing my major to something in the art degree (interior design or graphics, for example). I want to know if it is a good idea to do that... no one here in my community college or the university i'm transfering to in the fall are giving me any satisfying information. I feel like they are not experienced at all. As for med school, i'm trying to go to George Washington. So what should i do? Should i change my major to something i enjoy more and get a better GPA, which can also give me time to get better grades in my pre-reqs OR get a degree in Biology BA (i'm not willing to do Bio BS or concentrations! too much for me).

I think now i'm just going to take a vote. But please give me your reasoning why you think i should do what i should do.

THANKS EVERYONE! <--- ahed of time.

Your major has very little impact on your application, some schools like diversity (non-science) but not enuf that it really makes up for anything else. Having some extra upper-level science when you take the MCAT can make it easier than if you take it only having had the prereqs. There is also some advantage once in medschool to knowing how to study sciences and having heard some of the more difficult concepts before, but plenty of people come into medschool as nonscience majors and do fine. Even though you may boost your GPA a bit by doing a non-sci major, your math&science gpa will be calculated seperately on your application to medschool and it will show if you have poor grades in those classes and still hurt you, so you need to figure out how to study for science courses and do well, and then take a few upper levels and ace them to balance out what you might have already struggled in before you figure this out. Also you need to ask yourself if medicine is really for you if you dislike bio so much, medschool is a wholelottabio in the first two years that will blow your undergrad classes out of the water in how they challenge you, so if you don't at least like bio it might be excessively painful for you. Finally, don't worry so much about which medschool you are targeting, its great to have a dream school but you will have to apply to many to have any chance of getting into one, and many of us end up somewhere different than we originally envisioned ourselves. Theres a whole lot more that goes into choosing a medschool than a name that you don't even need to be thinking about at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Nano I'm in Virginia too. What university are you transferring to?

Anyway, I agree with what the above posters said. I think with any major you pick, though, you have to be prepared to answer why you didn't pursue that field instead of medicine. For example, a med school interviewer might ask you why you didn't decide to become an interior designer instead of a doctor. There are several ways you can approach those kinds of questions, so it's not a big deal, but it's something you should be ready for. It's a plus (not a requirement) if you can relate your non-science major to your future medical endeavors (e.g. an international studies major planning on pursuing medicine on an international level).

Like the above posters have said, med school is a whole lot of bio, so I hope you learn to love it.

Like everyone will say, pick what you want, that is your best bet. I've gotta say though, if you can't handle consintrated bio, or a BS, then you are gonna have a hell of a time in med school and with the MCAT. IMO anyway.

Why do you want to go into medicine? Would a career in graphic arts or interior design be satisfying? Don't focus in on one career without exploring other options and finding what really excites you.

Also, I feel a little bit concerned when you name a single medical school and state that you'd like to be admitted there. Keep in mind that GW has 10,000 applications for 160 seats. Most medical school applicants apply "broadly" (to at least 10-15 medical schools) in order to get admitted to at least one as each school is a long shot.

Besides GPA and other reasons noted, you should do the other major as a fall back plan. In case you don't get into med school right away, at all, or you change your mind, you can probably do more with a bachelor in design than in bio.

yeah this is etting hard. This guy i talked to on the phone who's actually done with med school said that if i can't handle biology, he doesn't know how i'm gonna handle med school. He was like med school steps up like 10 levels, so it is extremely difficult. Problem with me is test taking. When i study i know the info well, but then u give me those MCQs i blow it! If it was essay, i would do much better!!! So he was like know how to study better and take tests, because that will hurt me! Now i'm gonna talk to my teacher and see what she can do, or give me any advice. oh btw, i am applying to georgetown and howard just in case... i just prefer to go to gwu. Bu i'm not allowed to move out... my dad is saying no! wich sux.

Green Pirate If i'm sticking with biology or something in science field as a major i will be going to GMU. I'm already accepted, so i got my spot there. If i decide to do interior design, i applied to marymount. So we'll see now... how about u?

Thank u guys for the great advice. I really appreciate it!!

I will echo the sentiments of other posters. You do not need to major in biology, or any science for that matter. So enjoy your college experience and learn about things that interest you. However, you need to perform well in the science classes that you do take. Your biology,chemistry, physics, and math scores are claculated separately in your AMCASA application (BCMP average as compared to your general GPA average). If you find that you continue to struggle with science coursework, then make sure you think long and hard about the path ahead of you.

You see that is why i kinda of wanted to major in something i enjoy much more and is easier for me because it will give me time to study reall hard and aim for an A in all my courses better than if i was a science major. I have a feeling if i major in science, i will concentrate in my classes in general and will end up with bad grades. Then if i don't get into med school, i'll be like: ok what am i gonna do with biology! So i was like ok, i should do a major as plan B, and to give me time to study for my pre-reqs. I do plan to may be take upper courses in bio here and there, like anatomy and physiology, genetics, cell bio, micro, but i dunt see what's the purpose to go on with animal biology, plant and those pointless classes. So do u all think that i'm thinking correctly or is this a bad? My friend was like, you seem like ur getting around those sciences when they will appear again. So i'm soooo confused....!!!! HELP! lol <--- but seriously i do need help!

You see that is why i kinda of wanted to major in something i enjoy much more and is easier for me because it will give me time to study reall hard and aim for an A in all my courses better than if i was a science major. I have a feeling if i major in science, i will concentrate in my classes in general and will end up with bad grades. Then if i don't get into med school, i'll be like: ok what am i gonna do with biology! So i was like ok, i should do a major as plan B, and to give me time to study for my pre-reqs. I do plan to may be take upper courses in bio here and there, like anatomy and physiology, genetics, cell bio, micro, but i dunt see what's the purpose to go on with animal biology, plant and those pointless classes. So do u all think that i'm thinking correctly or is this a bad? My friend was like, you seem like ur getting around those sciences when they will appear again. So i'm soooo confused....!!!! HELP! lol <--- but seriously i do need help!

Well, it sounds like you have a plan. And I don't think that it is a bad one. However, I do differ from your opinion that animal and plant sciences are pointless. After all, even evolutionary theory may show up on the MCAT. Plus, animal and plant science offers a wealth of information that is relevant to placing the human condition into an appropriate context. And there are some directly applicable lessons to medical science as well. But I do agree, there is no point in killing yourself by learning about things in which you have no interest, especially if it is not directly required for med school.

yeah this is etting hard. This guy i talked to on the phone who's actually done with med school said that if i can't handle biology, he doesn't know how i'm gonna handle med school. He was like med school steps up like 10 levels, so it is extremely difficult. Problem with me is test taking. When i study i know the info well, but then u give me those MCQs i blow it! If it was essay, i would do much better!!! So he was like know how to study better and take tests, because that will hurt me! Now i'm gonna talk to my teacher and see what she can do, or give me any advice. oh btw, i am applying to georgetown and howard just in case... i just prefer to go to gwu. Bu i'm not allowed to move out... my dad is saying no! wich sux.

I'd take your friend's advice and really look at how you study and take tests....because those multiple choice questions aren't going away, and are the core of the MCAT and medical board exams. Some schools even offer counseling/advising services teaching test taking and studying strategies....see if your school does.

And about that last bit...your father is making you live at home for medical school? You'll be in your mid/late twenties by the time you finish...:confused:

Are you sure that medicine is for you? I suggest doing some shadowing or volunteering at your local hospital in order to get a closer look. Medicine looks like a sparkling diamond to everyone from the outside but once alot of premeds get their hands dirty they hit the road.

I'd take your friend's advice and really look at how you study and take tests....because those multiple choice questions aren't going away, and are the core of the MCAT and medical board exams. Some schools even offer counseling/advising services teaching test taking and studying strategies....see if your school does.

And about that last bit...your father is making you live at home for medical school? You'll be in your mid/late twenties by the time you finish...:confused:

Hey wait. I did not catch the part about the Dad not letting her leave. What is up with that? How did he get control over your habitation choices?

Hi! I am a non-science major and I have three thoughts: 1) make sure the major fits into the "story" of why you want to go to medical school - I get the impression that the story you put forward to adcoms should be pretty seamless. You can certainly study something like interior design, but it may be looked upon with suspicion if you cannot tie it in to your desire to pursue to medicine. 2) I am really happy I chose to study a field that I will not get to study once I am in medical school (...keeping my fingers crossed!), but I also think the bad grades I got early on have really hurt my science gpa because I don't have additional coursework to make up for it. 3) consider the requirements for your major. My non-science major required almost twice as many courses as typical non-science majors at my university, including workshop courses that are almost as time consuming as labs, so it was really hard to fit all the pre-med courses in along with upper division courses. Hope this helps!:luck:

Well, i'm gonna try to reply to everyone in this post i hope. So here is the story of why i chose medical, because i didn't get into it because of the lifestyle, money or any of that. I actually wanted medical since i was in 9th grade, around senior year i found out how long it takes, and i was like.. oh no, i dunt wanna be in school that long. But then i was working in a medical office since i was 16. I've worked in an Office with a a family practice and pediatrician, and i've worked with a gynecologist, internal medicine, and recently i've been working in a pediatrics office since septmeber 2005. And after working in these offices, i realized i really love what i'm doing and i always tend to like to easedrop on the doctor when she is speaking to patients to learn more. I love watching health shows in Discovery health, i love what i see and what those doctors do. So i really want to do it. The only reason i was considering art as major, again, is because i have talent in that since i was a little girl and i've always won prizes and all that good stuff! So i was like, hey do that, get a 4.0 and study well for science pre-reqs. But then, i say no bio is good for me, it trains me to take lots of sciences at once and still excel! <--- that's no happening though.. for now! So yeah...

Now my dad has these rules on me sorta... no marriage till bachelors cuz he doesn't want my husband to be like: umm stay home and cook/clean! (that's my culture.. but only those who are VERY cultural u c) and he doesn't care if i marry throughout med school, as long as my husband will not tell me to drop out ( so i figured i should marry a doctor! lol :laugh: ). Anyways... so i'm guessing in med school, i hope to get married and i'll make my husband move to where i wanna go... but for now, i gotta make plans here for as long as i am here. My mom doesn't care if i move, but my dad is OVERPROTECTIVE! he loves his girls...

well... i talk so much, i think ima stop here!

but... still open for suggestions.. keep'em coming!

p.s. if i dunt go to med school, i'm going to do architecture<--- that's the plan for now. Oh, is a bachelors degree in Physician Assistant good or bad? and then go to med school...