I need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmalki75

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I currently am a senior set to graduate in the spring of 2017. I have an overall GPA of 3.60. I have yet to take my DAT. I just want to know if I should continue to pursue a career in dentistry. I'm not sure what is competitive and what isn't. I don't exactly know what classes count towards my science GPA so I will list all my Bio, Chem, Physics, and Math courses I've taken. As well as the grades I've received. Also if someone could tell me if these low level maths count towards my science GPA. Everything is appreciated!
Intermediate Algebra- B
College Algebra- C
Pre Calc- C
Trig- B
Calc w/ analytical geometry I- A
Stats- A
Gen chem I- A
Gen Chem II- A
Bio I- A
Bio II- A
Orgo I- A
Physics I- A
Physics II- A
Cell Bio- A
Genetics- A-

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your overall GPA remains solid, I don't think it would be a problem.

As 8_man mentioned, Math isn't exactly the most useful thing. Even if math was important, I think your solid calculus mark will wipe away any doubts regarding your math ability.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try takin more upper level science and getting A's in those and you'll be stellar

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You're fine. You don't need to be a mathematician to fix teeth.
It's not that I'm not good at math, it's more of I just didn't care when I first began my college career. However since my sophomore year I've gotten only one B. I have been told that it'll look better since I'm am finishing moderately strong. I don't know if this is true or not.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not that I'm not good at math, it's more of I just didn't care when I first began my college career. However since my sophomore year I've gotten only one B. I have been told that it'll look better since I'm am finishing moderately strong. I don't know if this is true or not.
You'll be fine. I started off College with a bump my first semester and ended up with a low gpa but I got it up and ended finishing strong, even though its hard. It looks better when it shows you put effort and end up finishing strong going uphill instead of going downhill. I have two interview invites so far, so don't worry. Just do good in the upper level science classes like microbiology, immunology..etc.

Your grades look solid. Especially genetics, cell bio, ochem and physics! See how you do on the DAT, I don't think your grades will be the issue here.

Your grades look solid. Especially genetics, cell bio, ochem and physics! See how you do on the DAT, I don't think your grades will be the issue here.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated!

Prove to ADCOMs that you understand fundamental mathematics by doing well on the QR section of the DAT.

As long as you take upper level sciences and continue to get A's, you're fine. Don't take upper level if you're gonna do worse than an A in them. It's better to have Gen Bio as a B and then get an A in some advanced Bio but not good to have an A and then get a B in the upper level.