I need some input during this waiting game.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnh113

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. After reading through some of these threads, it seems like someone had been or are currently in my shoes. I am in dire need of some kind of feedback. I don't think I've ever experienced this much anxiety over an extended period of time. I knew the waiting game was going to be brutal, but not this brutal Lol..

So, I e-submitted PTCAS on 8/27. It's now December and I've gotten one rejection and three pending statuses. I am extremely discouraged. I know the majority of the schools have either just started reviewing applications or will be, so it's still early.. kind of. I just need a couple of inputs whether or not I should continue to be optimistic and wait or fret and start planning a plan B.

My stats are as follows:
cGPA 3.4 / pGPA 3.1 (two prerequisites pending as until next week when grades are due/admissions wouldn't tell me either if this was the reason for my pending/if anyone from previous years saw a dramatic turn around after academic updates, please let me know!)
Composite GRE 296 / 3.5 w
Over +600 hours from interning/as an aide
Designations: UF, Nova, Armstrong Atlantic U., Chapman, Western U. of HS, USC, Midwestern U. DG, Touru U/College, UNE, Speingfield College, & Sacred Heart U.

It's not all that impressive but I know I've done the best I could at this point. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely know what you mean about the anxiety, I have been constantly checking my email literally every 10 minutes waiting to hear back from schools. All I can say is to keep yourself busy and remain positive, it is still kind of early and like you said the majority of schools have just began reviewing. I did my undergrad at Armstrong and I know for sure that they don't notify anyone until mid-late January. Also, I applied to UF last year and did not hear back until January as well. I know of a lot of programs that don't have their interviews until Jan-March so they may not be notifying applicants until later this year/early of next.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you don't mind me being blunt because sugarcoating it got no one anywhere.

on paper you are not that impressive. a lot of people will lie to you saying that "oh the essay counts a lot" it basically doesn't that much. what most schools will do is give you a numeric score based on your application(gpa, pre req gpa, GRE score, school you went to) and the top so many people will be sent out invitations for interviews. at this point in the year i would just start prepping for next year as a back up. retake some classes in the spring, get a higher GRE score, and apply earlier in the application cycle. some schools do rolling admission.
schools have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or even 2.9 with no pre req with a C- but honestly most people who interview have at least a 3.4

hope that wasn't too mean. i am just trying to be realistic.

i applied, i received an interview 1 month later and was accepted 1 week after my interview.

Im glad we are all experiencing the same feelings together! I don't have great stats either BUT I went to a session at a DPT program and the feedback she gave me made me feel a little better. She said that contrary to popular belief, DPT programs work long and hard to read all the applications and review them thoroughly in order to fill their classes with students that fit their program style. So they don't put all their stock into stats, GPA, GRE or what have you. She also said you have to work even after your application is submitted to stand out. Shoot someone an email just to see if you can have an opportunity to tour their facility or observe a class. Make sure they see your name (in a positive way) as many times as possible prior to decision time! They are more likely to give Suzie Smith a chance if they have seen Suzie Smith prior to seeing it on PTCAS. Obviously don't be overbearing and annoying! Just remember we are all in the same boat and all about to have a mental break down between finals and the uncertainty of PT school. That's what this forum is here for in my opinion, to keep us all from losing our minds! One last thing, don't get discouraged about waitlists, I have a lot of friends who were wait listed like wayyyyyy far down and they were eventually accepted.

Also, I know a lot of west coast schools have already sent out acceptances but many schools on the east coast havent even passed the due date for applications yet. I don't know where the schools you applied to are located but just keep that in mind when people are posting acceptances for west coast schools.

In response to above, it is awesome that you were accepted to your top school and you had great stats but not all schools rank you in that manner. Most are aware that it takes a lot more than a 4.0 GPA and a 165 on your GRE to be a great physical therapist. We are having enough anxiety about this whole process as it is. No one is trying to sugar coat anything, we all know lower GPAs do have less of a change of getting in but it is not impossible. We see all through this forum that it is not easy however a little positive thinking never hurt anyone.

If you don't get in, try again, if it is really what you want to do don't give up easily.

Reactions: 1 user
Just don't overlook the importance of showing your love for PT.

Last edited:
Don't be discouraged, they definitely don't only base interviews on the grades alone. I have fairly low stats.. 3.33 cGPA and 3.22 pGPA and 297 combined GRE and 4.0 writing. This is my second year applying. If this is really what you want to do, then yeah, you may want to go ahead and just be prepared to apply next year, just in case. And definitely apply early as possible because that is where I screwed up last year. This application cycle I have already went to an interview for my top school and have another interview in two weeks... fingers crossed! I know SOME programs will pretty much base who they accept on grades alone, but many programs will look at the application as a whole.

Don't be discouraged, they definitely don't only base interviews on the grades alone. I have fairly low stats.. 3.33 cGPA and 3.22 pGPA and 297 combined GRE and 4.0 writing. This is my second year applying. If this is really what you want to do, then yeah, you may want to go ahead and just be prepared to apply next year, just in case. And definitely apply early as possible because that is where I screwed up last year. This application cycle I have already went to an interview for my top school and have another interview in two weeks... fingers crossed! I know SOME programs will pretty much base who they accept on grades alone, but many programs will look at the application as a whole.

I have an even lower cGPA than that and have gotten interviews at 4/11 schools with no rejections and 1 acceptance so far. I wouldn't want to go to a school that blatantly puts all the weight on GPA. Especially since I am an older candidate, what grades I received as an 18-19 year old aren't indicative of my capabilities as a student.

Reactions: 1 user
As you wait read a few books, Why We Run and *A short history of nearly everything, are two that come to mind. If you feel like being more ambitious give the programs an email/call and ask for a status on your application. Most will be helpful enough to tell you in its in processing, review, etc.

I have received 4 interview invitations and no rejections from the 11 schools I applied to. My cumulative GPA is a 3.18, prereq 3.45, 151 V 148 Q 3.5 AW. I believe my essay/LORs have a lot to do with this. Personally, I think its ridiculous to consider retaking classes/GRE at this point because it is still early. Capitalize on any interview opportunities and try to stay calm.

My stats are literally almost identical. I'm waiting it out too. Best of luck!

I somehow stumbled on this feed and have a couple of things to add. I have been invited to two interviews and have a low overall GPA (3.14). To say that someone has no chance of an interview under a 3.4 is completely false. Obviously it will be harder for those of us with lower GPA's to impress admission committees, but some schools are still willing to give us a chance.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you everyone for all of your feedback. It makes me feel somewhat optimistic while waiting. I have also decided to prepare for next year's cycle, just incase. Thank you again, and good luck!

So I've applied to 7 schools thus far and have gotten rejected from 3 of them (UIC, CSUN, and SMU- which I totally deserve at least an interview hmph) ...and so now I'm starting to think of a plan B. There are some schools (obviously not my first choice and they're out of state -_-) that have a later deadline and I was thinking about applying to them since I really don't want to wait until the next cycle. Anyone else thinking the same thing or has any input/suggestions as to which schools I should look into?

So I've applied to 7 schools thus far and have gotten rejected from 3 of them (UIC, CSUN, and SMU- which I totally deserve at least an interview hmph) ...and so now I'm starting to think of a plan B. There are some schools (obviously not my first choice and they're out of state -_-) that have a later deadline and I was thinking about applying to them since I really don't want to wait until the next cycle. Anyone else thinking the same thing or has any input/suggestions as to which schools I should look into?
You could try applying to The University of St. Augustine. Although their fall 14' application closed Dec 16, they do a rolling process, so you may still be able to be considered for their fall 14' class. They have campuses in St. Augustine, FL, Austin, TX, and San Marcos, CA. I recently applied their after not getting accepted to a couple of my first pick schools.