I need some motivation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamadream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I start getting confused about life. It's like I know I want to be a doctor but I'm not motivated. I have not taken any science courses yet and I'm in my second year. Why? Because I'm taking my general education courses at community college. For some reason sophomore is always an awkward stage in life for me the same went for when I was sophomore in high school. Any advice/tips on staying motivated?

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you want to be a doctor?

Honestly you've given us very little to go on to give you good advice.

The way I motived myself through tough parts of school was to read books by doctors about their experiences. I found their stories quite inspirational and they let me push forward when I was feeling like I was losing steam. If you're interested in doing the same thing, there are lists of good books all over SDN.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely wait till you've taken your science courses and had at least a few significant medical experiences to decide you want to be a doctor. I remember when I was a freshman their were ~500 students (that I knew) that were going to be doctors, sophomore year that number was ~400, then junior year ~200, senior year there was maybe 50 or so that applied and a very small handful that were actually accepted. Its crazy to think back at how many students/friends/family were going to be doctors yet im the only one left standing. You have to be an extremely self motivated person to make it and it only gets harder. But if its meant to be, with hard work, it will be!

Why do you want to be a doctor?

Honestly you've given us very little to go on to give you good advice.
At five years I anticipated a new member of the family to come home as soon as possible. My brother was in the hospital for a few months following a premature birth. Every visit I asked the doctors and nurses when is he going to come home, they told me very soon. So when my brother did come home, I was amazed at what the doctors and nurses did. They took care of my brother at Johns Hopkins hospital and ever since I wanted to care of many people and bring them back home to their families healthy. Was that good? Also I started finding my niche when I would opt out Disney Channel for the Science and History channels. Also science class was the only reason I wanted to go to school. I was set out to do this from the start.

I would definitely wait till you've taken your science courses and had at least a few significant medical experiences to decide you want to be a doctor. I remember when I was a freshman their were ~500 students (that I knew) that were going to be doctors, sophomore year that number was ~400, then junior year ~200, senior year there was maybe 50 or so that applied and a very small handful that were actually accepted. Its crazy to think back at how many students/friends/family were going to be doctors yet im the only one left standing. You have to be an extremely self motivated person to make it and it only gets harder. But if its meant to be, with hard work, it will be!
Thanks, this was really good advice. I am a science fanatic though I am not taking these classes in which I really want to, I have gotten Calculus and stat out the way, Psychology, sociology, 1 year of english, and other med school prereqs(humanities courses). And I have to take the MCAT in 2017.

Sometimes I start getting confused about life. It's like I know I want to be a doctor but I'm not motivated. I have not taken any science courses yet and I'm in my second year. Why? Because I'm taking my general education courses at community college. For some reason sophomore is always an awkward stage in life for me the same went for when I was sophomore in high school. Any advice/tips on staying motivated?

To be brutally honest, if you need motivation in becoming a doctor, then perhaps being a physician is not a good fit for you

Explore different fields and find your passion

To be brutally honest, if you need motivation in becoming a doctor, then perhaps being a physician is not a good fit for you

I think you are wrong. I'm in my sophomore year which is weird for me. Again I haven't taken any science classes yet because I'm taking general education at a cc so yes I am very bored because I love science and that's what I want to do. Me taking these GenEd courses is making me lose motivation because they are very dull. I don't think its wrong for me to have a down moment in life, it happens to the best of us. And if this wasn't my passion, then I wouldn't be on this site...at all.

You can't be "brutally honest" if you don't know anything about the person. Asking for motivation is not unusual in any field--please don't tell people to find another career for asking simple questions.

Reactions: 1 users
You might be thinking too narrowly, and focusing specifically on your current situation of taking courses you're disinterested in. You can do more than your courseload allows. Sit in on research symposiums, volunteer at a hospital's ER, shadow a physician and ask a million questions. I don't think you'll find motivation if you go looking for it. Get involved, speak with (interesting, motivated, intelligent) people, and I think you'll gradually find yourself to be motivated.

Hi,I am your junior and I want to share with you some advice of myself.

True motivations for medical school:
1.Highly rewarding and fulfilling career,though it takes donkey years.
Think about what you can do when you are a doctor. You are not just limited to working in hospital :),you are able to venture to (combine research with clinical medicine),(humanitarian work ) and also be the best teacher around(medical professors)

2.The donkey years may seem to be a curse.With great power,comes great responsibility.I don't doubt that.Think about other career paths,are they as long as medicine?I believe med school really brings you back to help you become a more mature person,child,parent in the family.Don't just look solely on the medical aspect.

3.Dr. in your name.You may think it's silly but you deserve it for all the hard work and effort. You will feel more respected of yourself.

4.Science will be an integral part of your life,especially biology and chemistry. You do that like nearly every day,medicines to treating patients

5. Long shifts in hospital aren't as long when you make new friends.You are not alone,don't complain.There are other guys out there working alongside you,I am sure they feel the same.So step out and be a leader,encourage your colleagues to stay strong

Last edited:
I just recently got a job giving food to patients, picking it up, and asking them what they want their next meal to be. I start in 2 more weeks. Hopefully by me seeing the doctors walk by me everyday will give me some motivation. I just have to be patient. I don't plan on spending more than a year at this job because I want to do a summer premed program.

This is such a ridiculous naive premed thought. Everyone gets completely stressed out with the process and needs motivation and support to help them keep going at times. You don't think all medical students have times where they really doubt themselves and question whether they made the right choice to go to med school? You don't think the same thing happens to residents? Even attendings sometimes struggle with motivation, are they not cut out to be physicians? You really don't think the stress is ever going to get to you in the next years of your training? Becoming a physician is a tough and stressful path and everyone needs some help staying motivated, keep going, and believe in themselves sometimes, I hope you show more empathy and support to your future classmates, or it may be you who really isn't cut out to become a physician.