I need some real help here on LOUPES!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigEd

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, no one at my school is helping at all.
I need some loupes for my operative dentistry class.

I saw the Zeiss loupes - like them alot, mostly the flip ups. How do I find out about the prices?

Liked the Oakleys from Surgitel but they look like they have lots of potential to break.

The new Rudy frames from Orascopic are awesome. If I were to get these I would probably like the TTL the best.

Also, who has the best light?

My work station is old and I can't see a thing!

Thanks,

BigEd

Members don't see this ad.

I using Designs for vision 2.5x with the buddy holly frames. Theyre durable and have a nice feel. As far as a headlight, that might be over-the-top in dental school and sim lab work, unless you just really want one or can get one at a good price.

I using Designs for vision 2.5x with the buddy holly frames. Theyre durable and have a nice feel. As far as a headlight, that might be over-the-top in dental school and sim lab work, unless you just really want one or can get one at a good price.

No I want a light b/c I cant see what I am doing. It just seems so dark. As far as the buddy holly frames I don't think I could pull that off so I will pass on those. Thanks, BigEd

Members don't see this ad :)
No I want a light b/c I cant see what I am doing. It just seems so dark. As far as the buddy holly frames I don't think I could pull that off so I will pass on those. Thanks, BigEd

dentistry isnt a fashion show, get what feels good. i have the DFV "buddy holly" frames and look silly, but they are durable. while my classmates with the trendy oakley frames will be replacing their loupes a few years down the line, i will still be using my ugly buddy holly frames.

dentistry isnt a fashion show, get what feels good. i have the DFV "buddy holly" frames and look silly, but they are durable. while my classmates with the trendy oakley frames will be replacing their loupes a few years down the line, i will still be using my ugly buddy holly frames.

Dentistry sure isnt a fashion show but I do take pride in my appearance. The DFV would certainly destroy my image. They are just so ugly!!!

Designs for Visions is arguably the best product out there. Wider field of vision than their competitors, durability, and they offer lights. Don't your handpieces have fiber optics? I can't see why you are already having problems with "how dark" it is. DFV has two different style of frames, both of which are DURABLE.

Dentistry sure isnt a fashion show but I do take pride in my appearance. The DFV would certainly destroy my image. They are just so ugly!!!

I've been wearing designs for vision BCG's (birth control glasses) for coming up on 14 years. I have 2 sets. I still have the set I bought in 1993. They are very durable and when they get scratched, I send them back and DFV overhauls them for around $200. This is why I have 2. Once you use them you wouldn't want to practice without them. If your surgical glasses can destroy image than you may already have image problems.:laugh:

do they look like this....
alien.jpg

do they look like this....
alien.jpg

Its great that people on here are humorous, however, if one was to look at all the worthless responses posted on this website compared to the ones that actually help dental students I think the creators of the site would be more than depressed.

In the future why not either help those that ask or just play somewhere else.
Big Ed

As I have stated before Orascoptics Rudy frame is sweet I have the TTL they are incredible Super light sturdy and have a very long warantee. I recomend them to everyone that is looking into loupes they look good and guaranteed for a very long time.

As I have stated before Orascoptics Rudy frame is sweet I have the TTL they are incredible Super light sturdy and have a very long warantee. I recomend them to everyone that is looking into loupes they look good and guaranteed for a very long time.

thats what I am looking at now. They are nicer than the oakleys which is great. How about a light for them? Have you looked into that cost?

Its great that people on here are humorous, however, if one was to look at all the worthless responses posted on this website compared to the ones that actually help dental students I think the creators of the site would be more than depressed.

Big Ed

If you don't like to read it scroll over it. Suck it up! What you just posted just wasted a good 6 secs of my life, and I didn't even get a good laugh out of it.

Big Ed

People ARE trying to help you, however your damn "image" is in the way! Get a clue and pay attention to what people are telling you. By-the-by, even with the "coolest" frames you will still be a douche.
-C

People ARE trying to help you, however your damn "image" is in the way! Get a clue and pay attention to what people are telling you. By-the-by, even with the "coolest" frames you will still be a douche.
-C

another worthless response.

-C

This is the best advice you could ask for.

Biged, tell me you are a troll . You cant be a real dental student based on your attitude on some of the things you have said. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I just recently picked up the SurgiTel Oakley's and I have to say, they are by far one of the better ones out there, that I have tried. I'm sure there are other great ones too, this is just my personal option. Aside from the fact that they're Oakley frames (which may be a consideration for you? they do look good) they feel very balanced and VERY comfortable. This was NOT a decision for me; in fact, I almost didn't buy them because they were Oakley's and I was afraid it might look too cheesy from a patients perspective. Either way, comfort was my first priority. I don't need to use the strap they come with (I've removed it) and they don't move even a little when I look down.
I've found that because these frames don't have that little hook that comes down behind your ears, that they do not give me a headache after wearing them all day. Let me say, this is all personal preference as I've spoken to others who rave about the other brands available.
The lenses themselves are fantastic too: very clear, and very bright. I don't see the need for a light (although you may feel you need it) and with 2.5X mag, they are just perfect. I just cut my first anterior por-fused-metal crown prep with these loupes and I can't imagine doing it again without them! I highly recommend them.

Cheers,
Steve

Where did you purchase those oakleys?Online? I'm looking into getting a new pair for me ole man, and permanetly borrowing his old ones.

thats what I am looking at now. They are nicer than the oakleys which is great. How about a light for them? Have you looked into that cost?

I have 2 pairs of Orascoptic TTL's, 2.5x whichI use about 95% of the time and then a pair of 4.5x which I use mainly for endo "canal hunting" and occassionally for finishing gingival margins of anterior composites. Love them, light, durable, and very good customer service ( I needed the intrapupillary distance tweeked when my 4.5x's arrived and they were door to door back to me in 3 business days:thumbup:

I do have their xenon light with the belt clip battery pack. Very light and comfortable, and really illuminates the field (Ocassionally I'll inadvertantly start to cure some composite before I sculpt it if I don't remember to turn it down:rolleyes: ). The set up, including light, charger and I purchased 2 battery packs cost me just over $1400 (regular dentist convention rates, not student prices) last October.

I find that I'll use 1 battery pack before lunch(a 5 hour patient treatment time with the light on for an average of 3.5 of the 5 hours) and then switch to battery pack #2 for after lunch. I've never had any issues with the battery pack running out on me, and the orascoptic rep told me when I bought that most dentists will be fine with 1 battery pack for the whole day.

As for the illumination, it does make a decent difference in most mouths from basically the 1st molars on back, really helps on endo access canal locating, and in general is very comfortable to wear(took me less than a week of wearing it before I was basically forgetting it was there).

Hope that sheds some light on things for you (serious pun intended):D :laugh: :rolleyes:

One other thing, in general as for the flip ups vs. TTL's, as with many things, the rule of thumb is the greater the number of moving parts, the greater the chance of something breaking!

I have 2 pairs of Orascoptic TTL's, 2.5x whichI use about 95% of the time and then a pair of 4.5x which I use mainly for endo "canal hunting" and occassionally for finishing gingival margins of anterior composites. Love them, light, durable, and very good customer service ( I needed the intrapupillary distance tweeked when my 4.5x's arrived and they were door to door back to me in 3 business days:thumbup:

I do have their xenon light with the belt clip battery pack. Very light and comfortable, and really illuminates the field (Ocassionally I'll inadvertantly start to cure some composite before I sculpt it if I don't remember to turn it down:rolleyes: ). The set up, including light, charger and I purchased 2 battery packs cost me just over $1400 (regular dentist convention rates, not student prices) last October.

I find that I'll use 1 battery pack before lunch(a 5 hour patient treatment time with the light on for an average of 3.5 of the 5 hours) and then switch to battery pack #2 for after lunch. I've never had any issues with the battery pack running out on me, and the orascoptic rep told me when I bought that most dentists will be fine with 1 battery pack for the whole day.

As for the illumination, it does make a decent difference in most mouths from basically the 1st molars on back, really helps on endo access canal locating, and in general is very comfortable to wear(took me less than a week of wearing it before I was basically forgetting it was there).

Hope that sheds some light on things for you (serious pun intended):D :laugh: :rolleyes:

One other thing, in general as for the flip ups vs. TTL's, as with many things, the rule of thumb is the greater the number of moving parts, the greater the chance of something breaking!

awesome bro, thanks so much for the detailed reply!

nice to have someone post other than these people on here who just dont care.

Has anybody tried the Heine loupes? They are distributed by Sullivan Schein. I saw them at the Oregon Dental Convention this week and was really impressed with how they fit and looked. Can anybody that has experience with theses give some feedback?