I need someone elses perspective on my situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlmaKarma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am going to apply UF pharmacy school and Im really nervous because my pcat scores are not great. I would call them low after seeing all the great scores out there.
I've taken it twice and feel like a third time would bring the same results. these are my latest results:

Verbal 81 (first time: 68)
Biology 69 (first time: 63)
Reading C 34 (first time: 47)
QA 21 (first time:45)
Chemistry 91 (first time: 81)
composite: 68 (first time: 64)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As you can see here: http://schoolpages.pharmcas.org/publishedsurvey/474 It says that they consider a 70+ to be competitive (if you are a FL resident), you are pretty close to what they consider "competitive", and with your high GPA, you might get a shot, but I wouldn't just apply to UF (unless you dont mind waiting another year and taking the PCAT again).

I would definitely apply since the worst they can say is no, but definitely apply to other schools as you do not want to wait another year and have to do the process all over again next cycle if you don't get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely apply and see what happens. As others stated, broaden your search for pharm schools, don't put all your eggs in one basket. If you do not get in, re-take the PCAT and use Dr. Collins study guide (seriously it will bring your quant/chem/bio to 90+). Since you are struggling the most with quant, really focus on the Dr. Collins quant guide and his practice tests (there are 7-8 if I remember correctly). This will help you time yourself better when you take the PCAT test.
The math part is a little harder than the rest just because you need a certain rhythm doing the problems to keep your pace and finish most of the questions (it's also a lot harder if you have not taken a math class for a couple of years). I personally did very well in Calc I and II (was even a math tutor) but because I didn't take math for 3 years I was very slow taking the PCAT quant test the first time. But after using Dr. Collins study guide and practice tests, I was able to do very strong the second time. And don't worry, you can take the PCAT up to 5 times so try again! Don't give up, good luck! :)

Never apply to only one school. It's very common for a school to reject qualified applicants (even over qualified) seeming without rhyme or reason.

If you're applying to other schools as well, don't you have to complete their list of prerequisite classes?

As you can see here: http://schoolpages.pharmcas.org/publishedsurvey/474 It says that they consider a 70+ to be competitive (if you are a FL resident), you are pretty close to what they consider "competitive", and with your high GPA, you might get a shot, but I wouldn't just apply to UF (unless you dont mind waiting another year and taking the PCAT again).
If you're applying to other schools as well, don't you have to complete their list of prerequisite classes?
Never apply to only one school. It's very common for a school to reject qualified applicants (even over qualified) seeming without rhyme or reason.
Definitely apply and see what happens. As others stated, broaden your search for pharm schools, don't put all your eggs in one basket. If you do not get in, re-take the PCAT and use Dr. Collins study guide (seriously it will bring your quant/chem/bio to 90+). Since you are struggling the most with quant, really focus on the Dr. Collins quant guide and his practice tests (there are 7-8 if I remember correctly). This will help you time yourself better when you take the PCAT test.
The math part is a little harder than the rest just because you need a certain rhythm doing the problems to keep your pace and finish most of the questions (it's also a lot harder if you have not taken a math class for a couple of years). I personally did very well in Calc I and II (was even a math tutor) but because I didn't take math for 3 years I was very slow taking the PCAT quant test the first time. But after using Dr. Collins study guide and practice tests, I was able to do very strong the second time. And don't worry, you can take the PCAT up to 5 times so try again! Don't give up, good luck! :)
I would definitely apply since the worst they can say is no, but definitely apply to other schools as you do not want to wait another year and have to do the process all over again next cycle if you don't get in.

Thank you guys for your input, I really appreciate it. I will definitely try those practice problems you mentioned. I wasnt even able to finish quantitave analysis on the PCAT. The problem is that I cannot move from the city I'm living since I have to help out at home. Don't give me wrong is not that I don't want to be a pharmacy student bad enough but if I can I would like to not have to pick between my education and my family. UF is the most feasible (distance wise) alternative.

Hey so I know someone who got in with a lower PCAT score than you, applied really late in the cycle (last day), and lower GPA. What is your science GPA? I feel like with a 67 PCAT you should be fine if you have other extracurriculars. I think you have a good shot just make sure to explain why a low pcat, and really stand out in the extracurricular section. Good luck i deff think you have a good chance.

Hey so I know someone who got in with a lower PCAT score than you, applied really late in the cycle (last day), and lower GPA. What is your science GPA? I feel like with a 67 PCAT you should be fine if you have other extracurriculars. I think you have a good shot just make sure to explain why a low pcat, and really stand out in the extracurricular section. Good luck i deff think you have a good chance.
Ive only had 2 B's (physics lab and organic chem 1 lab) so my science GPA is not low.
I will definitely let you know if i get rejected/accepted or interviewed
your friend is very lucky though
Thanks for the input!!

Last edited: