I need you guys to pick me apart.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needhelp2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in really bad shape and I'm desperately seeking advice. Here goes:

I recently graduated with a terrible GPA, and I have pretty much the same standard excuse as anyone else in this situation: I just didn't have my head on straight, was immature, etc. early on, and I found myself in a hole that I couldn't get myself out of by the time I realized the magnitude of my screw-up. In short, I was an idiot.

But I haven't given up hope yet. I'm currently doing a one year SMP to bring up the GPA. On top of all of this, though, I'm worried that I may have other weaknesses in my application, and the thought of all of these red flags, especially the ones that are currently unknown to me, is stressing me out more than I can articulate.

So, I've decided to lay out all of my stats here, with the hopes that you guys can point out where I need to improve. For now I'd like to keep the discussion (try not to laugh) on MD schools.

- GPA (cumulative and science are around the same): 3.155 (Top 30 USA College)
- MCAT: 33 (PS: 10/ VR: 11/BS: 12. No retakes)

- Three years research experience (wet bench) with 2 posters and 1 publication
- About to start an 8-11 month clinically focused research project as part of the SMP

- 52 hours volunteering at the university hospital with mix of direct patient interactions and a handful of OR shadowing
- 2 week trip abroad to set up free clinics for the poor. A lot of direct patient interaction here
- Approximately 35 hours of proper shadowing

- One strong (I'm told) recommendation letter from an English professor, one from my former PI (from the lab with the publication). Currently working on getting more letters, as they're badly needed.

I think that may be it. Hopefully I didn't forget anything. This is my last chance to get where I want to get, and I want to know what ANY POSSIBLE problem areas are.

So go at it! Be as brutally honest as you feel necessary. But if you think I don't have a shot and should just give up, please don't just say so and leave. Tell me why.

Members don't see this ad.

The only real weakness in your application is your GPA, which is definitely going to close a lot of doors for you. If you're set on MD, all you can really do now is get a 4.0 in your SMP and hope for the best.

The only real weakness in your application is your GPA, which is definitely going to close a lot of doors for you. If you're set on MD, all you can really do now is get a 4.0 in your SMP and hope for the best.

Thanks for your input! Just to be clear, you think I have a good amount of clinical experience? I was toying with the idea of getting and EMT certification after the SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do well in the SMP, gain some more clinical exposure, apply early and you may have a shot at your state schools (if you're not from CA), and some of the private and OOS friendly ones that like upward trends/reinvention (e.g., Tulane). Otherwise you're looking at DO schools, which I would honestly suggest applying to at the same time. If the SMP doesn't get you into MD schools the first time around things are unlikely to change in the future. Just curious by why are you opposed to DO?

Thanks for your input! Just to be clear, you think I have a good amount of clinical experience? I was toying with the idea of getting and EMT certification after the SMP.

IMO you could use more. When I applied last year I had 4+ years as an aide and about 50 hours shadowing. When getting feedback from the one school I applied and interviewed at I was told they would like to see "more diverse healthcare exposure". BS in my opinion as I've worked in psych, med/surge, and shadowed in an ER - but you've gotta give them what they want.

Do well in the SMP, gain some more clinical exposure, apply early and you may have a shot at your state schools (if you're not from CA), and some of the private and OOS friendly ones that like upward trends/reinvention (e.g., Tulane). Otherwise you're looking at DO schools, which I would honestly suggest applying to at the same time. If the SMP doesn't get you into MD schools the first time around things are unlikely to change in the future. Just curious by why are you opposed to DO?
It might sound silly, but I'm using the prospect of MD schools as motivation more than anything. But if I work my ass off during this SMP, do really well, and end up a DO, I will have no problems. I have no issues with DO whatsoever.

IMO you could use more. When I applied last year I had 4+ years as an aide and about 50 hours shadowing. When getting feedback from the one school I applied and interviewed at I was told they would like to see "more diverse healthcare exposure". BS in my opinion as I've worked in psych, med/surge, and shadowed in an ER - but you've gotta give them what they want.
I've shadowed an ENT, Cardiologists, and I guess I shadowed the local physicians while interacting with the patients in the trip abroad that I did. But damn, what you had was way more diverse and they still gave you problems? I'll be working on that too then. Also, what do you mean you were an aide? I'm not sure what that is exactly.

Aide = CNA = patient care tech = whatever PC term you want to call it. To be fair though there are some confounding factors in my experience: a) my interview did not go well (SUPER nervous) b) that particular school is notorious for arbitrarily not accepting students the first time around. Usually only 6-12 students (out of a class of 70) who matriculate there are first time applicants, and I know quite a few students who were either waitlisted or rejected post-interview, reapplied with few if any changes in their app and were accepted. Regardless, clinical exposure will never hurt you and you're definitely in a realm of where it could really help.

I think if you do very well in your SMP you should have a good chance if you apply early. What state are you in? I am in a similar situation but FL schools numbers are more forgiving. So that helps me.

Hey man. I understand where you're coming from, I've been in a similar situation. Like others have said, your EC's are pretty strong, except you will need more clinical experience. Shoot for 300+ hours with direct patient contact. Free clinics are excellent places to start.
It also seems like you're heading toward the SMP direction, which I feel is the best way to go. I would recommend linkage programs, such as Drexel, Temple, and VCU. These guarantee interviews/acceptances if you fulfill their requirements. I'd say it's only a matter of time, good luck!

Edit: Oops, I see you're already enrolled in an SMP. Kill it and get some clinical experience, and you should get in somewhere with a broad app!

I think if you do very well in your SMP you should have a good chance if you apply early. What state are you in? I am in a similar situation but FL schools numbers are more forgiving. So that helps me.
NJ resident. Not the easiest, from what I understand. But it could be worse?

Hey man. I understand where you're coming from, I've been in a similar situation. Like others have said, your EC's are pretty strong, except you will need more clinical experience. Shoot for 300+ hours with direct patient contact. Free clinics are excellent places to start.
It also seems like you're heading toward the SMP direction, which I feel is the best way to go. I would recommend linkage programs, such as Drexel, Temple, and VCU. These guarantee interviews/acceptances if you fulfill their requirements. I'd say it's only a matter of time, good luck!

Edit: Oops, I see you're already enrolled in an SMP. Kill it and get some clinical experience, and you should get in somewhere with a broad app!
Thanks for the words of encouragement! Question, could you elaborate on your experience working at the free clinic? What kinds of things were you doing? That sounds like it could be really helpful for me.

NJ resident. Not the easiest, from what I understand. But it could be worse?

Lol not a bad place to be. Rutgers (previously UMDNJ) barely takes anyone else besides IS residents. Something like 20 OOS are admitted annually (from MSAR).

That UVM post-bacc sounds heavenly. If they only had an SMP...

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Question, could you elaborate on your experience working at the free clinic? What kinds of things were you doing? That sounds like it could be really helpful for me.

I think what you will be doing really depends on the clinic and what it needs. From what I could tell though, there are a lot of options.
I personally started off by screening patients. This is your typical paperwork, verifying that patients are eligible for services at the clinic, updating their personal information, etc. Although this doesn't sound very "clinical" per se, you're interacting with patients all day long, so it is definitely considered clinical experience.
I volunteered for an extended period of time, so my supervisor eventually took me off screening duties and let me do something a bit more "fun". I basically helped manage the medication aspect of the clinic, where I recorded/verified medication that patients need so that the clinic can send out orders to partnering pharmacies.
There were other volunteers who were doing a lot of different things. There were a few that took vital signs of patients before sending them to see the physicians (I think the majority were med students), administrative tasks like filing patient charts, and some other things I can't remember. I gotta say I loved my experience there, and it had a big impact on me as an applicant. IMO, free clinics are unique in that you're working with the underserved, and so you really begin to see the financial aspect of medicine. They also give you opportunities for more hands-on experience that larger hospitals would have difficulty doing. Hope this helps!