i need your help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batista_123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, so finally i have been able to find a doctor who will allow me to shadow. he said on days that he is doing surgery i will need to wear scrubs, and on days that he is seeing patients, a "lab coat?" did i hear him right? what is lab coat, is it the white coat that doctors wear, with the holes on the sides (the holes look like pockets but they are not pockets?)
where do i get these 2 items?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Try the yellow pages for a uniform shop. My university bookstore actually has lab coats, so there's that too. If you cant find anything local check the web - there's tons of stores where you can order scrubs and a coat. Have fun! :)

In the hospital they have free scrubs for you, ask a nurse to get you a set. Be nice and tell her you didn't know where to buy one outside the hospital plus you didn't want to end up buying a set of scrubs that were differently colored from everyone else.

Lab coats are sold at any major university/college bookstore. It's okay if it doesn't look exactly like his lab coat. He just wants to make sure the patient doesn't ask too many questions or gets suspicious why you are there. The coat is probably for the patient's benefit.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am cheap and i appreciate you telling me how to get the scrubs for free.
can i get the lab coat for free too?
is the lab coat the white thing that doctors wear?

Yeah, the lab coat is what they wear. However, I doubt you will be able to get one exactly like his, but don't worry. The hospital might have one for you to wear, I would check with them. I know during some of my shadowing they had a lab coat available to me. They should definitely have scrubs for you though. Good luck!!

no. you can't.

scrubs are getting harder to come by, too. hospitals figured our scam out and now you usually have to put in an old pair to get a new pair. depending on your institution, of course.

but look, if you pretend you know what you're talking about, you'll be able to find a sympathetic nurse to help you out.

but if you're all timid, you're screwed.

walk like an egyptian.

Ah yes the cheapness is what brings people together.

the lab coat is essentially any laboratory lab coat that's white. Patients can rarely tell the difference between the one that medical doctors wear and the one that research pepole wear anyways. If you want to go cheap, find a friend who took any kind of chemistry or biology lab (not currently cuz we wouldn't want them be exposed to the dangerous chemicals of an undergrad laboratory now), WASH the lab coat (very important becuase it will probably have these yellow stains where they lean over the counter top), and wear it for your shadowing.

*EDIT*
Quick note though, your lab coat will probably look kind of shabby and more see-through than the doctor's one if you choose to borrow from a friend. So wear white on the inside. Doesn't apply to all case, but just putting it out there just in case.

hey guys, so finally i have been able to find a doctor who will allow me to shadow. he said on days that he is doing surgery i will need to wear scrubs, and on days that he is seeing patients, a "lab coat?" did i hear him right? what is lab coat, is it the white coat that doctors wear, with the holes on the sides (the holes look like pockets but they are not pockets?)
where do i get these 2 items?
thanks

ahh that sounds like so much fun! im so jealous..

my university store sells them for really cheap, you should probably check if yours has them too(they probably will)

no. you can't.

scrubs are getting harder to come by, too. hospitals figured our scam out and now you usually have to put in an old pair to get a new pair. depending on your institution, of course.

but look, if you pretend you know what you're talking about, you'll be able to find a sympathetic nurse to help you out.

but if you're all timid, you're screwed.

walk like an egyptian.

:laugh: What? I've never heard that phrase before in reference to confidence.

so which was more important? this or the first time you paid for sex?

Ask your mom. :cool:

Seriously though, I'm just not familiar with that phrase, or what you meant by the quoted question.

Ask your mom. :cool:

Seriously though, I'm just not familiar with that phrase, or what you meant by the quoted question.

then you

1) didn't listen to the radio in the 80's

and

2) the verbal section of the mcat is going to be a real bi*ch.

if you are going to shadow him in the OR they will give you OR scrubs to wear (you can probably just wear street clothes, change inside the hospital and wear them throughout the day then change again). you can always email/call him or his secretary to ask them if they will have OR scrubs for you to wear.
i would suggest buying a short lab coat b/c you are a student. (long coats are for physicians, short coats are for med students).
have fun! :)