I/O psychology Masters/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TroutTrout

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could tell me if you can do a masters in IO psych and then complete a PhD later in life? And also if you can get a masters in a different field of psychology and then pursue PhD in IO?

Reason I am asking is for my wife as I will be going to medical school and I am trying to find a school near my acceptances that would allow her to be an IO psychologist. I know there are combined MA/PhD programs like Michigan State but the masters and then PhD route would be optimal so we can have children and she can finish her PhD once I have my residency placement.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Michigan State, unless they've changed recently, is just a PhD program, like many others, you simply get your masters along the way to the PhD. Honestly, I'm not sure it's worth it to do a masters if the plan is to go back and get the PhD anyway. For one, jobs for I/O masters are very limited. Two, when you go back for the PhD, it probably won't be in the same program as the PhD, and other programs will not accept all of the credits, making some of the time spent a wash.

I agree with WisNeuro. PhD programs that offer a master's "along the way" are not really combined programs in the same way as an MD/MS, MD/MBA, etc. There are only a few situations when it makes sense to get a terminal master's before starting a PhD program. May as well just go for the PhD if that is the end goal.

If you're thinking about starting a family, consider that an I/O PhD program will usually take 4-5 years. Often people find it's easier, and less of an uphill battle, to finish their education before starting a family, but of course people have different needs and circumstances.

Thank you both :)

Ya tough situation because she doesn't want to have children late and we are both 28 already. I appreciate the input!