I Quit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreverLaur

MSN, RN, CNE
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In case you haven't read any of my prior posts about myself...
-I did two years of post secondary (college while in high school) and used it as a goof off don't have to work/go to class type thing and therefore had a terrible GPA (below 2.0).
-I graduated high school in the top 10 of my class (taking honors/AP) and scored a 34 on my ACT.
-I went to college to pursue business and did okay. I wasn't too fond of my major or my college and thus didn't work at all so I had roughly a 3.4 cumulative GPA.

I finally decided to pursue my lifelong dream/goal of becoming a doctor and switched schools and majors (to microbiology).

I consider myself to be fairly intelligent. Most subjects I pick up very quickly and with a normal amount of work, I can get A's. However, my work ethic blows and I seem incapable of gaining a work ethic.

I thought at a new school I loved, with a major I found very interesting, and finally my goal in my future to be achieved, everything would be great. It isn't.

Calculus II is ruining my life. I took Calc I in high school, but never took the AP exam and my professor allowed us to use a TI-89 calculator, so I never bothered to learn the basics because my calculator could do it all. Since I didn't take the AP exam, I took it again my first year of real college and again, used my TI-89 and scraped by with a C+ because not everything can just be stuck into a calculator and you need to show work. Since I transferred schools from semester to quarter, I have to take Calc II now for my major. The big downfall - no calculators. How am I supposed to go from TI-89 to no calculator? :confused: It isn't working. I have spent tons of time in the math help lab with the TA's and I hired a private tutor who came very well recommended as well as buying the two 'Calculus for Dummies' books as I heard they were a ton better than my textbook. None if it helped as I ended up with a 10/100 on the first exam, with a class average of 54/100. With this being 1/3 of my grade, I'm pretty much doomed to get a poor grade. I can't drop it because this is my easiest quarter - if I can't handle it now I certainly won't be able to handle it then.

Since I changed majors, this year consists of physics, gen chem, and gen bio. My second year consists of genetics, biochem, ochem, and all my micro classes. I pretty much have a full schedule year round.

I'm 100% sure medicine is what I want and I know that if I study, I can do well in my courses, but I don't. I have every intention of studying and working hard, but I just don't know where the time goes.

I'm pretty much at the point where if I don't get a 4.0 or close to it from here on out, my GPA will be too low to get into medical school. I don't really have the option of continuing my education to lower it because of financial/family restrictions. So it is basically now or never and it is seeming like I am about to cross over the never line... :(

Members don't see this ad.

I consider myself to be fairly intelligent.

I'm 100% sure medicine is what I want

these two statements are the only ones that really matter in my opinion. if they are both true you will find a way. not saying this to be mean or harsh, but saying it to motivate you. good luck, and you never mentioned MCAT, just do well on those and you will be straight, at least for schools that don't focus much on gpa's like d.o. schools.

Can you drop and retake it in the summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
-I did two years of post secondary (college while in high school) and used it as a goof off don't have to work/go to class type thing and therefore had a terrible GPA (below 2.0).
-I graduated high school in the top 10 of my class (taking honors/AP) and scored a 34 on my ACT.
-I went to college to pursue business and did okay. I wasn't too fond of my major or my college and thus didn't work at all so I had roughly a 3.4 cumulative GPA.

I finally decided to pursue my lifelong dream/goal of becoming a doctor and switched schools and majors (to microbiology).

I consider myself to be fairly intelligent. Most subjects I pick up very quickly and with a normal amount of work, I can get A's. However, my work ethic blows and I seem incapable of gaining a work ethic.

I thought at a new school I loved, with a major I found very interesting, and finally my goal in my future to be achieved, everything would be great. It isn't.

Calculus II is ruining my life. I took Calc I in high school, but never took the AP exam and my professor allowed us to use a TI-89 calculator, so I never bothered to learn the basics because my calculator could do it all. Since I didn't take the AP exam, I took it again my first year of real college and again, used my TI-89 and scraped by with a C+ because not everything can just be stuck into a calculator and you need to show work. Since I transferred schools from semester to quarter, I have to take Calc II now for my major. The big downfall - no calculators. How am I supposed to go from TI-89 to no calculator? :confused: It isn't working. I have spent tons of time in the math help lab with the TA's and I hired a private tutor who came very well recommended as well as buying the two 'Calculus for Dummies' books as I heard they were a ton better than my textbook. None if it helped as I ended up with a 10/100 on the first exam, with a class average of 54/100. With this being 1/3 of my grade, I'm pretty much doomed to get a poor grade. I can't drop it because this is my easiest quarter - if I can't handle it now I certainly won't be able to handle it then.

Since I changed majors, this year consists of physics, gen chem, and gen bio. My second year consists of genetics, biochem, ochem, and all my micro classes. I pretty much have a full schedule year round.

I'm 100% sure medicine is what I want and I know that if I study, I can do well in my courses, but I don't. I have every intention of studying and working hard, but I just don't know where the time goes.

I'm pretty much at the point where if I don't get a 4.0 or close to it from here on out, my GPA will be too low to get into medical school. I don't really have the option of continuing my education to lower it because of financial/family restrictions. So it is basically now or never and it is seeming like I am about to cross over the never line... :(

Keep your head up. The minute you stop trying will be the minute you should find another career. If you have enough confidence in yourself, and instead admitting your work ethic "blows" and doing nothing about it, change it! If you can do this, you will reach your goal. The question you need to ask yourself is do you want it enough?

Can you drop and retake it in the summer?

I'd be taking it along with Spanish I, Spanish II, Molecular Genetics, and Physics III.

The language thing is ticking me off. I proved profiency (by a long shot) at my previous school and new school won't accept it - need to take 4 quarters of a language :mad:

Also, I have to stay in a certain geographic location for medical school, and there are not any DO schools in the area (luckily, there are numerous MD schools). The boy has a fantastic job that is going to help me pay for medical school and he's restricted to a few certain big cities, all lacking DO schools.

Keep your head up. The minute you stop trying will be the minute you should find another career. If you have enough confidence in yourself, and instead admitting your work ethic "blows" and doing nothing about it, change it! If you can do this, you will reach your goal. The question you need to ask yourself is do you want it enough?

There is nothing that I want more - but I'm seriously starting to wonder if I am incapable of studying. I have taken an actual class on study skills, spoken to counselors about getting better study habits, stuck pictures/posters all over my walls about my future goal of becoming a doctor, and written a list of goals and posted them next to my desk. No help :( Is it possible to just not be able to study? I mean what the heck - I'm finally in the major I want, pursuing the career I want, and science has always been my favorite and best subject.

I would love to be able to take courses over the summer, but I have either 20 hours every quarter, or 4 full upper level science classes (quarter school, so 3 is the norm where 5 is the norm at a semester school). There is one way to make my schedule work and still graduate. I run out of money and financial aid in June of '09 so I pretty much am done after that.

You're setting yourself up for failure from the beginning by saying you have no work ethic. When you dwell on such negative thoughts your mind will say "ok" and accept them to be true - as a result your work ethic actually diminishes.

Think Positively. "I can do this, I'll do what ever it takes". Sit down and write out your problem and and all possible solutions to it (it works). You'll know what to do.

First stop living in the past your achievements in highschool mean nothing. My brother graduated the bottom of his class but is in the honors college at his university and currently has 3.8.... I repeat Highschool means nothing.

Intelligence also means nothing the sooner you realize this the better off you'll be.
work ethic and attitude gets you to medical school not your I.Q, it can only help.

If you want to quit, quit, if you want a pick me up--here it is "try harder"... It is you who is about to cross over that never line. These circumstances are not beyond your control find a solution or accept the consequences easy as that. Good luck

Maybe you can drop the course and take it at a junior college? If med schools question you about that when the time comes, then explain your situation to them. I don't know if you've considered it as an option yet, but I've taken several jr. college courses, during and after attending a 4 yr college(Physics 2, Govt1&2, History 1&2, Orgo1&2, Anatomy and Phys 1&2), and I don't think it has set me back too far. I did the orgo and A&P at a jr. college b/c of time constraints (had to take a job) and it was financially much easier for me. The other stuff, I didn't want to mess w/ engr'ing physics at UT again (too tedious) and I wanted to get Govt./History out of the way in the summers so I didn't have to worry about having heavy course loads in the fall/spring. I'd keep typing but I have to head out...I'll try and post more later...keep your head up!

The words that come out of your mouth are powerful. The tongue has the power to make you or simply break you. If you verbally keep putting yourself down then guess what..? You WILL fail.

First thing's first- STOP PUTTING YOURSELF DOWN!

Second- Don't take too many pre-reqs or science HEAVY courses all together.

Third- Stop Rushing, you have time (regardless of what you may think)... SO take it ONE step at a time.

*When Financial Aid runs out, just get a part time job and see if you can take some of the classes at a Community College, if adcomms ask just tell them you had financial strains thus you having to take them elsewhere besides your 4-yr...

Fourth- By verbally saying "I quit" or "I don't think I'm capable of studying" your murdering yourself and killing all of your hopes and dreams...Simple..

Last- Try to see if you can drop Calc.. If you don't have that many W's or any at all then I would DEFINITELY do it..
Reason: So that you can come back next semester and regroup, relearn, and reapply yourself...

*Don't just study harder, study smarter....

Cramming all that coursework into two years is just going to crazy. You may run out of Federal aid in 2009 but you will still be eligible for loans from private lenders. Yes, the interest rates suck, but spreading out your coursework over three years will benefit you in the long.

On a side note, if calculus is the only course where you're having problems then don't let your frustration spill over into your other classes. Worse case scenario, you'll have to re-take at a junior college later (not a big deal). However, if the problem is more systemic, then bite the bullet and take the loans.

(Another solution may be to finish your degree as a business major and then do a post-bac, during which you'll be eligible for GradPLUS loans).

Members don't see this ad :)
Why the hell are you taking Calc II? Drop the #%@*.

I took AP Calc I in high school, cried every week, barely scraped by with a B thanks to a genius roommate who helped me with homework....and then aced the AP exam despite not even finishing all the problems.:laugh: GOD BLESS THE CURVE!

I would NEVER, however, put myself through Calc II.:scared: :barf:

If your work ethic blows you'll have no chance in med school. Where I'm at, you've set yourself irreparably behind if you do so much as take 2 consecutive afternoons off from studying and writing up ****. I feel bad if/when I take a couple of hours to watch a movie, and have to be up late afterward reading as fast as I can and trying to retain it all.

Why did you decide to pursue your "lifelong dream/goal of becoming a doctor" only after going to school for something else? What's wrong with you?

...and I'd like to meet whatever joke of a teacher let you use a calculator to do differentiations and integrations. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the course?

However, my work ethic blows and I seem incapable of gaining a work ethic.

Here lies your problem. You lack self-discipline, at least in terms of academics. If you know you have to bust your ass, but yet you choose not to, you are copping out.

If medicine is 100% where you want to be, stop selling yourself short and work your ass off to achieve your goal. None of this whoa is me, I can't find a work ethic crap. You're obviously very smart and have the ability to excel in your classes, so you have no excuse to not perform well. Struggling in math? So what? You aren't the first and won't be the last. Get a tutor. Schedule office hours with your teacher. Go to the math help room every night. Stay in Friday night and redo your homework problems you struggled with. Get up early Saturday and Sunday morning and do them a third and fourth time until you're an expert on them. If you want it bad enough, you'll get in gear. If not, well there's always the Carib :D But even then, you'll have to work hard to pass the boards. Where there's a will there's a way. Good luck to you.

ps: sorry if this sounds harsh, I just think you're wasting a ton of potential by not working hard. I consider myself a pretty smart guy, but I still had to work very hard in college to pull those 4.0s. It's not easy, if it were, everyone would do it.

If you're anything like me you will tell yourself you quit and its all over but tomorrow morning you will be back at that calc book.

Study it, learn it, ace it, dump it.

Calc 2 won't make or break you.

Unless you are a savant, you need a fairly developed work ethic to get into medical school, to do well, and to survive residency. Maybe its better that you don't get accepted. And I'm not buying that "100 percent sure" thing either. Nobody is that sure. In fact, being so gung ho for it (while important to keep yourself motivated) is probably a predictor or future disatisfaction as medicine cannot possibly live up to your expectations.

With that being said, a 3.4 is not that bad. I got in with a 2.9 (but a very high BPCM GPA because I ate calculus' lunch). Take calculus, scrape by with the minimum passing score, take your lumps, and move on. You so obviously suck at it that no book, tutoring, Vulcan mind meld, or anything else can possibly help you. Find an easy professor, whine, plead, cheat (metaphysically, not actually unless you are a good cheater), lie, and steal for the "C" and move on.

Alternately, if you don't get in because of a low calculus grades, then take a few years off, maybe for some post-graduate work, and re-apply at which point a stupid calculus grade will not loom as large. That's kind of what I did and why my 2.9 didn't keep me out.

You don't need a microbiology degree to get into medical school. Finish the business degree (since it sounds like you are close) along with the standard prereqs (bio, gchem, ochem, phys). No foreign language (depending on your school), no calculus, and easy business courses equal GPA improvement. Don't reply that you hate business and can't finish. Prove you want to be a doc as badly as you say you do and suck it up.

You don't need a microbiology degree to get into medical school. Finish the business degree (since it sounds like you are close) along with the standard prereqs (bio, gchem, ochem, phys). No foreign language (depending on your school), no calculus, and easy business courses equal GPA improvement. Don't reply that you hate business and can't finish. Prove you want to be a doc as badly as you say you do and suck it up.
Shes actually at the same point for her business major that she is for her microbio major so it would be kinda uselesss.

Shes actually at the same point for her business major that she is for her microbio major so it would be kinda uselesss.

Not sure about that, she's talking about 20 credits/quarter of hard sciences. 20 credits/quarter of business courses would be a lot easier.

Hi there,

If you genuinely want to become a doctor and you stay motivated, you can do it. My original undergrad GPA was a 3.06 (including incomplete, Ds, Cs, withdrawal, with 2 semesters of low 2.xx GPA) and my major was non-science. I had some family hardships that affected my academics. I worked in the business field for a couple of years, regained my confidence and pursued informal post-bacc for 2.5years.

I started out with 3 science courses just to make sure I could handle it before I dived in taking 4 science courses per semester. I'm guessing since you didn't major in science you didn't take many science courses back in the days? In that case, as long as you work hard now, you can raise up your BCPM significantly given that you do well moving forward. Now, I managed a 3.98 GPA during my post-bacc years and raised up my overall cumulative from 3.06-->3.4x and a BCPM of 3.7x. One thing I kept in mind was that I needed to raise my GPA, so I avoided courses like Calc II (you don't need that) and even microbiology (too much work, ended up taking an easier intermed bio course). I took Intro Statistics to fulfill 2nd semester of math course some med schools require.

I advise you to not overload yourself with too many courses and focus on pulling off A's in the 3-4 courses you end up taking per semester. Even with a 3.4x cumulative GPA in the end, I managed to get 7 interviews given that I applied broadly and early. You're at a much better state starting off with a 3.4 GPA! Stay focused and take one semester at a time. Wish you the best!

Sounds like you need to learn to just suck it up and do it. Decide if this is what you really want, if it is...you're going to have to learn to do the work...that's just how it's done, especially in science. All the tutoring in the world isn't going to help if you don't sit down, read the book, and work through problems. Have you done all the homeworks? It's really hard to believe that you did all the homework problems (suggested and required) and managed a 10% on an exam with any regular curve.

I've helped a lot of humanities majors switch over to the dark side (science) and the thing a good number of them had problems with is learning that you can't slack off in science classes and easily make it up in the end for the exam. To do well, you need to A) familiarize yourself with the material before class, read the chapters that will be discusses, B) work through the problems in the book, a whiteboard is a great thing, because it's all logical and follows a pattern, it's easy to think you understand it only to find out that you don't when you attempt the homework at midnight the night before it's due, C) get into the rhythm of attempting the homework the afternoon it's handed out, if you get stuck, give yourself a day to think the problems over and then come back to it the next day. Math is very systematic and logical, once you learn the procedure, you just need to apply it to the problem. Doing this a couple times will help it sink in and also will make the problems on the exam a lot easier to solve because the more practice problems you do, the more familiar the solutions will look. D) don't be afraid to ask for help but try to figure out what part is confusing you first, nothing is more frustrating and annoying to a tutor than when someone comes for help and has no clue what they need help with and can't tell you what doesn't make sense to them.

Science is all about work. You say you have a hard time sitting down and doing the work, but honestly, if medicine is what you want, you're going to have to just do the work. Schedule time to study and DO THE HOMEWORK and MAKE SURE YOU ACTUALLY DO IT. If you don't have the self control and determination to force yourself to study, you're going to have a hell of a time at med school, where no one is going to hold your hand and walk you through if you can't make yourself do the work. You might be better taking time off until you can make a serious attempt at it. Otherwise you're just wasting your money on a half-assed attempt at college that you're barely getting anything from. There's no shame in giving yourself time to mature and grow up before spending thousands of dollars on schooling that you otherwise would just be trying to breeze past without really absorbing it.

Hi there! Have you considered a D.O. degree? The requirements for DO are generally lower, and you can still work as a full-fledged doctor if being a physician is your passion. The difference between DO and MD (technically) is that DO is supposed to be more wholistic and more hands-on. However, I think that there's a general (subtle) feel that MD is more prestigious. If you want to be a physician, the prestige shouldn't matter THAT much.

Also, consider doing a post-bac program like the one at Georgetown. That one's supposed to be really good if you're looking to boost your science GPA.

Keep in mind that SDN tends to be populated by people very SERIOUS about the application process. I mean, there are high school students asking about pre-med stuff! I think that on the whole, people who take the time to read and post on SDN tend to be very qualified for medical school, and they tend to cause a lot of anxiety for the rest of us.

HOWEVER, if you're serious about med school, you NEED to work on that work ethic of yours. Everyone wants to (and does) party/slack/procrastinate, but it would be a shame if you worked really really hard to get into med school and then have problems or drop out because you couldn't hack the work...

1. Calc exam was not curved.
2. I figured it out and I need the same amount of classes for the accounting degree vs the microbiology degree. The microbiology degree may be harder, but I find it much more interesting and think the topics covered in the coursework will be useful for my (hopefully) career in medicine.
3. I've worked through many of problems in Calc myself... or at least attempted to work through them. Even after 3 hour session with a private tutor, he still couldn't drive in the basic concepts of calculus :(.
4. I am required to take Calc II - both science majors and business majors are required to take it.
5. I am as close to 100% sure as possible. I started out as an engineering major, switch to business, worked full time for Ernst & Young, and found myself here. It was a windy path to get back to medicine, but I learned a lot from it and know that this is where I am meant to be because I experienced the alternatives.
6. My parents gave me $40k for college, which was all used up my first two years at my previous private school. My dad is the hardest working person I know and I also know he'd give me money if I asked, but he'd have to eat into his retirement to do so. I'd hate to see him spend his entire life working so hard and then not be able to enjoy retirement eventually.
7. My science GPA is a 4.0 - it is my cumulative GPA that is lacking. Although that science cumulative will obv be lowered with Calc!

Thanks to everyone who "listened" to me vent, gave me critisicsm and words of encouragement.

The day ended well. With 10 minutes left to go in a 3 hour chem lab, my test tube exploded. Gotta do it all over again plus next weeks lab. Yipee.

p.s. Sorry for any typos - too tired to go back and fix.

Foreverlaur~
Going from understanding Calculus I to Calc II with out calculators isn’t that tough (I can see it being a pain in the butt because punching numbers is so much easier)… But I think your mentally giving up which is why your having a tough time with the class.

If you don’t think you can raise that C to an A, drop the class, go and re-learn most of the concepts from Calc I on your own (its such a fundamental course, you shouldn’t have problems with it), when your ready, retake Calc II

The exam wasn't curved? So 50% of the class failed since the average was 55%?

The exam wasn't curved? So 50% of the class failed since the average was 55%?

At the end of the quarter, the final grades are curved to a C average.

I also can't drop calc now because I'd have to replace it with something else and it is too late to do that. If I dropped it now, I wouldn't have any space to take it until the quarter after I am supposed to graduate.

Not sure about that, she's talking about 20 credits/quarter of hard sciences. 20 credits/quarter of business courses would be a lot easier.
Depends. I've been able to achieve a much higher GPA in hard sciences (save for 2 courses freshman year where I simply didn't do $#%& and the grades showed it) than in Economics. Business courses are what's dragging down my GPA!

At the end of the quarter, the final grades are curved to a C average.

I also can't drop calc now because I'd have to replace it with something else and it is too late to do that. If I dropped it now, I wouldn't have any space to take it until the quarter after I am supposed to graduate.
Why do you have to replace it with something else? A financial aid issue?

Then why did you go in business at all? I think you just lack a little confidence. make a schedule and stick to it. Study 3 hours for every hour spent in the lecture.

Why do you have to replace it with something else? A financial aid issue?

Otherwise, I will be lacking a course required for graduating with no space in my schedule to put it elsewhere. In order to take calculus in another quarter, I'd have to remove something from that quarter and take it now. If I don't, my graduation will be pushed by a quarter.

My Schedule

Autumn Quarter 2007
-US History I (5)
-Gen Chem I + lab (5)
-Gen Bio I + lab (5)
-Calc II (5)
-Bio Sci survey (1)
[[21 hours]]
Winter Quarter 2008
-Anatomy + lab (6 - but 11 hours of class time and it is taught by the med school)
-Gen Chem II + lab (5)
-Gen Bio II + lab (5)
[[16 hours]]
Spring Quarter 2008
-Gen Chem III + lab (5)
-Gen Microbio I + lab (5)
-US History II (5)
-Spanish II (5)
[[20 hours]]
Summer Quarter 2008
-Molecular Genetics + lab (5)
-Physics II + lab (5)
-Spanish III (5)
-Spanish IV (5)
[[20 hours]]
Autumn Quarter 2008
-Organic Chem I (3)
-Microbial Genetics + lab (5)
-Physics III + lab (5)
-Literature Gen Ed Class (5)
[[18 hours]]
Winter Quarter 2009
-Organic Chem II (3)
-Organic Chem I Lab (3)
-General Microbio II + lab (5)
-Virology (5)
[[16 hours]]
Spring Quarter 2009
-Biochem (5)
-Microbial Diseases (5)
-Another Gen Ed Literature class (5)
-study for MCAT
[[15 hours]]

GRADUATE!!!!!

Summer Qaurter 2009
-Organic Chem III (3)
-Organic Chem II Lab (3)

I have no idea why Organic Chem Lab I as a prereq of Organic Chem I. I am taking Ochem III + lab after I graduate because it is needed for med school, but not for my major. Everything I am taking prior to graduation is a requirement to graduate.

The only place I could take Calc II later would be Spring of '09 (my last quarter) but 20 hours of those classes seems like a lot to handle right before I graduate and while studying for the MCAT.

I went into business because I didn't like the lifestyle of a doctor - it conflicts with a lot of my life goals. Business is a great career, but not for me. The only classes I enjoyed were my accounting classes, but I hated the job of an accountant seeing as how I had a summer internship as an accountant and held a full time with as an auditor with Ernst & Young. This is what led me back to medicine - medicine is what I love and what I have a passion for and this is the career that will truly make me happy.

Sadly, Calc II is one of the few math classes not offered online by the local community college.

Past high school, few people are "smart". Everything is hard work. Most of it is time management. It's about learning how to learn.

I went into business because I didn't like the lifestyle of a doctor - it conflicts with a lot of my life goals. Business is a great career, but not for me. The only classes I enjoyed were my accounting classes, but I hated the job of an accountant seeing as how I had a summer internship as an accountant and held a full time with as an auditor with Ernst & Young. This is what led me back to medicine - medicine is what I love and what I have a passion for and this is the career that will truly make me happy.

Ummm....I hope that statement is in past tense.

Like I said, either get through the course load you have set up for yourself or take out loans and do an extra year to spread things out. Your family may not be able to pay for any more education, but you still have the means pay for extra schooling if you need it.

Ummm....I hope that statement is in past tense.

Like I said, either get through the course load you have set up for yourself or take out loans and do an extra year to spread things out. Your family may not be able to pay for any more education, but you still have the means pay for extra schooling if you need it.

Kinda both. I'm the type of person who would love to drop her kids off at school, pick them up after school, go to all their sporting events, see their plays, or whatever else they are doing. While some of this is certainly possible, depending on the specialty choice, you don't have a ton of flexibility, especially in the fields that interest me.

I had to sit down and decide what I would regret more. If i pursued medicine, would I regret going into medicine because I didn't get to spend the amount of time with my family that I would like? If I didn't go into medicine and spent the time I want with my family, would I regret it? I ultimately decided that I'd regret not going into medicine a bit more. I'll make it work to the best of my ability.

I'd be taking it along with Spanish I, Spanish II, Molecular Genetics, and Physics III.

What kind of school do you go to where you can take physics III with out a solid grounding in calculus?

What kind of school do you go to where you can take physics III with out a solid grounding in calculus?

We have the option to do Physics 111, 112, 113 which is non-calc based or Physics 131, 132, 133 which is calc based and requires Calc III and something else.

I have credit for Physics 131, but upon realizing I was not going beyond Calc II, I decided to take the non-calc based physics so that I do not need any additional math.

We have the option to do Physics 111, 112, 113 which is non-calc based or Physics 131, 132, 133 which is calc based and requires Calc III and something else.

I have credit for Physics 131, but upon realizing I was not going beyond Calc II, I decided to take the non-calc based physics so that I do not need any additional math.

I wish my school had this option....Surprisingly they don't....:(

I know your dad only gave you $40k for college that you already blew...but you're going to go crazy into debt for medical school anyways. Easily six figure debt. I would suggest maybe lightening up your loads and taking classes in Fall 2009 (including maybe calculus). With the amount of debt you're going to incur in med school anyways, one extra quarter will barely make a difference. DROP YOUR CALC II COURSE. The second time through you'll know what you're getting in to. I'd still audit it right now and get a general gist of whats going on. I just took Calc II this past summer after taking Calc I in Fall 2003. I struggled early on too, but you gotta take advantage of Office Hours. Having your professor sit there and grill you on problems twice a week does wonders for your grades. Without it, I would have tanked my class as well. I started with 0 help, and then went to every single office hours. Not only did he help explain concepts, he guided my studying. Exam 1- C with the curve. Exam 2- B- with the curve. Final- A/A+ without the curve. There's only like 15 types of problems they can throw at you in that class. Once you have them mastered it'll be a lot easier. Don't let it intimidate you. Good luck. :).

Again: Drop the class, audit it, then take it again later in an "extra" quarter. :thumbup:

if you're really having trouble with calculus and you absolutely NEED to take it...then focus on the procedures and not so much understanding. yes, it's good to understand the reasoning behind things...but if you're not getting it and you need to pass the class...just memorize the steps for the various problems (i.e. i have this type of equation, I use this procedure). If you can only do it with a calculator then you may want to take calc I over because math is something that builds progressively and you can't do step 2 before you understand step 1. Doing calculus with a calculator is completely pointless because the calculator does all the actual work, plugging in numbers is NOT math. sounds like you're trying to take the easy way around it and that doesn't work too well.

I second the taking out of a loan and spreading your courses out. Most people HAVE to take out loans, it's not a big deal and it's better than cramming everything into a few semesters and stressing yourself out.

Drop the Calc II, and go for the BA in Microbiology instead of the BS. All the other requirements are nearly the same.

Some other suggestions to help your schedule:
- for your Microbio electives, you could drop the Anatomy and take a 5 credit hour class instead, which will free up a lot of time (the Anatomy class is hugely time intensive according to friends of mine who have taken it)
- take the Spanish placement test, it could save you lots of credit hours. Seriously, I hadn't taken Spanish for 17 (!) years, took the test, and tested into 103, thus saving me 10 credit hours.

Good luck!

I know your dad only gave you $40k for college that you already blew...but you're going to go crazy into debt for medical school anyways. Easily six figure debt. I would suggest maybe lightening up your loads and taking classes in Fall 2009 (including maybe calculus). With the amount of debt you're going to incur in med school anyways, one extra quarter will barely make a difference. DROP YOUR CALC II COURSE. The second time through you'll know what you're getting in to. I'd still audit it right now and get a general gist of whats going on. I just took Calc II this past summer after taking Calc I in Fall 2003. I struggled early on too, but you gotta take advantage of Office Hours. Having your professor sit there and grill you on problems twice a week does wonders for your grades. Without it, I would have tanked my class as well. I started with 0 help, and then went to every single office hours. Not only did he help explain concepts, he guided my studying. Exam 1- C with the curve. Exam 2- B- with the curve. Final- A/A+ without the curve. There's only like 15 types of problems they can throw at you in that class. Once you have them mastered it'll be a lot easier. Don't let it intimidate you. Good luck. :).

Again: Drop the class, audit it, then take it again later in an "extra" quarter. :thumbup:

I second this post. Although, I recommend taking the Calc outside your school. If the class averages on exams are 50%, the course is crazy. I wouldn't bang your head against the wall with absurd tests that make you feel like you didn't learn anything. Take is somewhere where you can just focus on the concepts and pass the tests. You won't be solving Calculus problems of that caliber in medical school.

Do you really think you're going to fail? All those PM's you sent me tell me that you're a self-assured, motivated, intelligent person...

I hate to be 'that guy,' but pre-med/medicine isn't for everyone. I have had COUNTLESS friends who were 'smart, motivated, wanted it etc etc ...' and dropped it. If you know you want it ... go for it. However, it's not for everyone.

I hate to be 'that guy,' but pre-med/medicine isn't for everyone. I have had COUNTLESS friends who were 'smart, motivated, wanted it etc etc ...' and dropped it. If you know you want it ... go for it. However, it's not for everyone.

I dont understand what you are trying to tell her... no matter how movitivated, smart ect ect she can is or can be she wont make it?

I agree with the above posters. Drop the calc class while you can.

Also, an ophthalmologist whom I work for told me "Self-pity gets you nowhere." Having just graduated from college myself, I have to say (and you probably already know this) your classes the next 2 years, in the combination they're in (esp. that qtr with both Physics and Ochem!) will be very intense. Stay focused, positive, and ORGANIZED. Make sure you have a good stress reliever..

I dont understand what you are trying to tell her... no matter how movitivated, smart ect ect she can is or can be she wont make it?

That is a distinct possibility. Doctors are paid well and in high demand because not everyone has the abilities needed to become doctors.

He gave her the best advice in this thread, and you, much like every other premed on this board doesn't comprehend the fact that NOT EVERYONE IS DESTINED TO BE A DOCTOR.

"because I really really really really really want to" is not always enough unfortunately. Im not in a position to tell anyone here they can do something or can't. You can't always do whatever you put your mind to, period. Just because mommy and daddy told you that when you were in high school doesn't mean that's how the real world works. If she says she can't grasp calc II, all you idiots who are telling her "well just work harder" or "never say you can't do something" aren't helping, and I feel bad that she has to read that kind of nonsense. Just because she really wants to go into medicine doesn't mean she can pass calc II.

My advice: if you truly feel you cannot pass calc II, whether it be with this professor or retaking it with another (even if you have to stay in school an extra semester), then here are your realistic options:

1) start from scratch with a different major that doesn't require it

2) Take whatever you get in it (F or whatever) and move on. DO schools will probably be more understanding of this F, which brings me to my next point:

2a) You need to prioritize now which you want more, should it come down to it: a relationship with your current boyfriend, or medical school. The fact that there are no DO schools in the cities he can work is not an answer unfortunately. People here would do anything to get into a med school ANYWHERE, which is why people travel to the carribean or europe to schools that aren't even accredited in hopes of becoming a doctor some day. I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you saying you'll only go to med schools in certain cities may not work out for you.