i read on this forum that biochem is not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batista_123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
required for med school but i called several med schools and they all said its not "highly recommended" but its actually "required" so whats the deal?

Members don't see this ad.

You will be taking Biochemistry in your first year of medical school. Seeing as how it is already a challenging course, it always helps if you have some foundation in it before matriculating. If not, then you'll have to get it all in medical school, which is hard for some people.

Members don't see this ad :)
required for med school but i called several med schools and they all said its not "highly recommended" but its actually "required" so whats the deal?

About a dozen schools require it. The rest may recommend it. A good percentage of people at these recommended schools haven't had it and still do fine. The leg up that a lot of folks get from a college course in med school is generally pretty short lived. So if you want to take it, go for it. If not, plan to work hard and you will still be able to do fine.

You will be taking Biochemistry in your first year of medical school. Seeing as how it is already a challenging course, it always helps if you have some foundation in it before matriculating. If not, then you'll have to get it all in medical school, which is hard for some people.

yeah because being required to learn NEW things while in medical school is just absurd!

Agree. But frequently the new thing those folks who already took biochem in college tend to learn is that you cannot rest on your laurels and assume you will know it from college better than someone who is busting their a%% learning it the first time. The competition is steeper, and everyone is going to need to work for it.

A friend of mine took a year of college biochem. She said it was covered in the first semester of med school. So even if you take all that you can, you'll still learn new material in med school. But definitely a good idea to take as much as you can to provide a good foundation.

To the OP: if you are interested in only doing the minimum to matriculate to med school, then you will most likely end up very disappointed during your application cycle.

I'd recommend taking it. I think it would've helped with the MCAT as well.

it's not required by many schools to my knowledge but is highly recommended, which might as well mean the same thing. if you have the opportunity to take it, take biochem. it'll not only satisfy the pseudo-requirement for med school but will also help once you take the MCAT/enter med school. you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.