I really could use some expert SDN advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OU11BB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my aadsas last week. I only included my state school of oklahoma and I have been trying to research where I wanted to spend my next $1500.00! Unfortunately for me that is all I can afford the shell out right now. With that said, the schools I have narrowed down to are....

Midwestern (AZ).....Interview 22% of OOS applicants
Loma Linda
USC
UoP
Colorado....Interview 8% of OOS applicants
LSU..........Interview 22% of OOS applicants
BU............Interview 8% of OOS applicants
Creighton
UNLV
Buffalo......Interview 10% of OOS applicants
USN
Tennessee
VCU...........Interview 7% of OOS applicants
Marquette...Interview 7% of OOS applicants
Oregon.......Interview 8% of OOS applicants

My stats are low due to undergrad problems, but have been corrected just not my GPA's.
oGPA...2.96
sGPA...2.91
Masters.3.95

DATs...21/23/21.....I interviewed at creighton and OU last yr. also applied to pitt and UoP, but kind of late

before you say I dont have a shot please consider I have 4 years of full time work in a dental office. My last 120 hours of school have been a 3.6 and I have B.S. in biology, B.A. in Biochemistry, and Masters in Microbiolgy...I REALLY appreciate your help.. I need to get this cost more manageable, while still giving myself a shot to get interviews.

ALso feel free to suggest more schools, I open to any location!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my aadsas last week. I only included my state school of oklahoma and I have been trying to research where I wanted to spend my next $1500.00! Unfortunately for me that is all I can afford the shell out right now. With that said, the schools I have narrowed down to are....

Loma Linda
USC
UoP
Creighton
UNLV
USN
Tennessee

My stats are low due to undergrad problems, but have been corrected just not my GPA's.
oGPA...2.96
sGPA...2.91
Masters.3.95

DATs...21/23/21.....I interviewed at creighton and OU last yr. also applied to pitt and UoP, but kind of late

before you say I dont have a shot please consider I have 4 years of full time work in a dental office. My last 120 hours of school have been a 3.6 and I have B.S. in biology, B.A. in Biochemistry, and Masters in Microbiolgy...I REALLY appreciate your help.. I need to get this cost more manageable, while still giving myself a shot to get interviews.

ALso feel free to suggest more schools, I open to any location!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

look at my loma linda thread before you check off loma linda LOLLL

2 bachelor's and a master's?

What happened last year anyway? Too few schools? Late? Or you suspect the undergrad GPA? Masters GPA looks hot.

Edit:
What about MWU-IL, Western, or NYU?

The OOS Colorado & Oregon students are almost all from regional states. So maybe drop that one.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Loma Linda
USC
UoP
Creighton
UNLV
USN
Tennessee

oGPA...2.96
sGPA...2.91
Masters.3.95

First of all, you'll get in this year, no question. Awesome DAT, excellent master's GPA, tons of EC. So, in addition to OU, here are some schools to apply to:

MWU-AZ
MWU-IL
USN
UNLV
Creighton
Oregon
Marquette
Nova
Western
Indiana
Louisville
USC
BU
NYU (USC, BU, and NYU are really expensive)
Buffalo
UoP

They are all either private schools or OOS friendly.

I would not apply to:

Colorado
LSU
Tennessee
VCU
(All of these schools are not OOS friendly)

Make sure you apply to the schools ASAP!

What happened last year anyway? Too few schools? Late? Or you suspect the undergrad GPA? Masters GPA looks hot.

Edit:
What about MWU-IL, Western, or NYU?

The OOS Colorado & Oregon students are almost all from regional states. So maybe drop that one.

Oregon accepts students from all over the country. They are increasing the number of OOS seats to try and help with the state's budgeting problems (cutting funding to the D-School). Oregon is a good place to apply to.

They are all either private schools or OOS friendly.

I would not apply to:

Colorado
LSU
Tennessee
VCU
(All of these schools are not OOS friendly)

Make sure you apply to the schools ASAP!

VCU is not OOS friendly? They accept about 40% of OOS. Thats pretty "friendly" to me :)

Oregon accepts students from all over the country. They are increasing the number of OOS seats to try and help with the state's budgeting problems (cutting funding to the D-School). Oregon is a good place to apply to.

Good to hear they're expanding beyond the western region. It doesn't appear they take from all over the country in the past. Last round MN is as far east as they went since it's a WICHE school (who technically pay OOS tuition): AZ-8, CA-3, HI-4, ID-2, MN-1, MT-2, UT-1, WA-3, WY-1, Korea-1.

Not so good to hear they're losing funding...but what state school isn't these days?

Good to hear they're expanding beyond the western region. It doesn't appear they take from all over the country in the past. Last round MN is as far east as they went since it's a WICHE school (who technically pay OOS tuition): AZ-8, CA-3, HI-4, ID-2, MN-1, MT-2, UT-1, WA-3, WY-1, Korea-1.

Not so good to hear they're losing funding...but what state school isn't these days?

They changed as of this past cycle (entering 2011). Also, keep in mind that those numbers are for the people who end up matriculating. I know that at least six of us from my state were accepted, but only one or two will actually end up going there.

They changed as of this past cycle (entering 2011). Also, keep in mind that those numbers are for the people who end up matriculating. I know that at least six of us from my state were accepted, but only one or two will actually end up going there.

Even though those are martriculants, last reported cycle looked like this:

Of 744 OOS applicants, only 21 interviewed, and 17 were accepted (6 declined)

Of 158 WHICHE applicants, 41 interviewed, and 36 were accepted (21 declined)

I'm not arguing that they are adding (I'm guessing you have some inside info from interviewing or something), but historically, not so great of odds for those outside WHICHE or other western states. It'll be interesting to see how others might extend out to the OOS pockets for more money.

Last edited:

Ya....I think it was the combination of not early, only 4 schools, and didnt complete masters until this year. Undergrad gpa is like trying to escape your shadow on a sunny day.

What do you guys think about USN?

Loma Linda
USC
UoP
Creighton
UNLV
USN
Tennessee

oGPA...2.96
sGPA...2.91
Masters.3.95

you need to add schools that maximize your chance (AKA schools with reputation to look past pure numbers and pay more attention to upward trends + DAT ~ because thats really where you shine)

I know for a fact U of Michigan does that, and Detroit Mercy did that up to last year (but the person in-charge of admission left her position so I dunno if the new individual will follow that methodology). You should also add NYU and Temple

Do some research around for schools that pay attention to upward trends

I believe Louisville, KY added lots of seats for OOS students recently.

Last edited: