I really need some help here.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faraniqbal20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently about to start my second year at the University of Houston. I was leaning towards applying for Fall 2014 like everyone else is but I have a problem. After Fall 2013, I still need about 30 hours of my pre requisites to get done. I do not believe that I will be done in time. I haven't taken the PCAT yet. So if any of you people were in my position, what would you do? Any help and advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am currently about to start my second year at the University of Houston. I was leaning towards applying for Fall 2014 like everyone else is but I have a problem. After Fall 2013, I still need about 30 hours of my pre requisites to get done. I do not believe that I will be done in time. I haven't taken the PCAT yet. So if any of you people were in my position, what would you do? Any help and advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Unless you are maxing out what your institution allows (and probably taking more than what is allowed) as well as summer courses in 2014 I honestly don't see how you could possibly get it done. Go check with an adviser and see what they suggest. They can give you a better idea of what is possible than anyone on SDN. Like you said you will also have to squeeze in the PCAT (which requires some study time). It may be doable, but you'd have to be on top of your game and would likely be considerably stressed out. Rather than take on this impossible load and miss out on pharmacy school because your application was sub-par, I would take the time to get a good score on your PCAT, get involved with extracurricular activities, shadow some different pharmacists, get pharmacy job experience, etc. That kind of stuff looks really good on your application. Again it is possible to get in within 2 years (we actually had someone get into Pharmacy school out of High school) but it is all how ambitious you are and how much effort you are able to put into it before you get burned out.

Members don't see this ad :)

It also depends on what those 30 credits contain. If u have 3-4 classes in there that are online As or easy As I say go for it man... go for it if u think u can handle it. For example i got a 3.2 while takin 18 credits and i know i slacked off... now if i focused and added 3-4 EASY classes I would have a better result because I know the work ethic that I am capable of. At the end of the day its what you think u can handle because the advisors are always gonna say to not overload urself with work.... if u doubt urself wait until 2015 if not then good luck man.

It also depends on what those 30 credits contain. If u have 3-4 classes in there that are online As or easy As I say go for it man... go for it if u think u can handle it. For example i got a 3.2 while takin 18 credits and i know i slacked off... now if i focused and added 3-4 EASY classes I would have a better result because I know the work ethic that I am capable of. At the end of the day its what you think u can handle because the advisors are always gonna say to not overload urself with work.... if u doubt urself wait until 2015 if not then good luck man.

This. It depends if you need a lot of non-science classes like intro to psych or if you still need all of your organic chem, microbio, physiology, biochem, etc.

I suggest not rushing, getting those A's, and getting whatever experience you can. When you are writing your essays, having experience to draw from is incredibly helpful--gives it a lot more weight.

Like most said, take your time.
But I see no reason why, if you have your pre-reqs done, you shouldn't at least try.

My fall semester right now is:
-Physics 1
-Chem 1
-Anatomy
-Biology 1

My winter will have 1 course, microeconomics.

Spring semester:

-Physics 2
-Chem 2
-Physiology
-Biology 2

Summer: Org. Chem. 1+2

That will complete the pre-reqs I need for any school I want to apply to.

Strong points to focus on would be, having all the science material right in your head, fresh for starting next fall, if you have to wait a year, you might forget some things.

Your PCAT should be taken sooner then later, this way you can take it again maybe if you're not confident in your score, although if you score well on the first time around, that might show your devotion towards pharmacy school.