I remember when....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omahahahaha

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...two weeks before December 1st, huh? I remember last year at this time I was so nervous I could hardly sleep at night. But I can tell you guys aiting in eager anticipation that it is the greatest feeling in the world once you are in. In that moment, nothing can bring you down. Now, I know all of you won't find out right away in early December, but the time will come if it was meant to be.

I basically started this thread to get an idea for the types of thoughts you all have?... Nervous?... Anxtious? ... Happy it's almost over?...

Just through something out there. I think it would give us now in Dental School some renewed excitment about the way we felt when we got that good news letter in the mail in early December.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just happy all the various application stuff is done for better or worse and now it is just sitting back and waiting on the schools. putting that application together, including dat, letters, shadowing and work experience, the essay, and interviews...on top of trying to keep my grades up in all my classes... it was grueling!

Omahahahaha said:
Just through something out there. I think it would give us now in Dental School some renewed excitment about the way we felt when we got that good news letter in the mail in early December.

Same thought here bro. The only reason that I'm still lurking on this board. :laugh: :laugh: :love: Man, I'm really missing that excitement. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Biogirl361 said:
I'm just happy all the various application stuff is done for better or worse and now it is just sitting back and waiting on the schools. putting that application together, including dat, letters, shadowing and work experience, the essay, and interviews...on top of trying to keep my grades up in all my classes... it was grueling!

The application process feels like it is more of an administrative undertaking than an academic one.

Man, December 1 my year of application fell on a Sunday, so we had to wait until the following day. It's funny now, but that nearly killed me. I remember calling all the schools on Sunday just on the off chance that somebody might be around getting some last minute work done and answer the phone.

Ha!

Good luck to all!

edkNARF said:
The application process feels like it is more of an administrative undertaking than an academic one.

For sure. Sometimes, after chasing down recaltricant professors and advisors, hounding AADSAS and certain schools, and basically doing everything that needed to be done in order to ensure that my application et al. were sent to (and recieved by) the intended parties, I felt like I was back in high school, trying to organise the yearbook in face of classmate perversity (they did not want to hand in their articles on time :D )...

now that it's over, though, i'm incredibly anxious. i put work into that app, more than may be readily apparent, and it should be appreciated!!

anxious as hell (check sdn ~ 20 times a day for relevant posts), annoyed that I applied a little late and didn't hear from two schools, ive been ecstatic ever since my last secondary was in and I could basically sit back because the ball is in their side of the court, excited about seeing new places (esp SF and Michigan) during the interviews and getting a taste for what I am in for. This has been one of the most rewarding and grueling processes so far... hope it just gets better after dec 1st.

ItsGavinC said:
Man, December 1 my year of application fell on a Sunday, so we had to wait until the following day. It's funny now, but that nearly killed me. I remember calling all the schools on Sunday just on the off chance that somebody might be around getting some last minute work done and answer the phone.

Ha!

Good luck to all!
It's a Wednesday for this cycle... letters can actually arrive as early as Monday or Tuesday, depending on how fast the mail circulates in your local area.

Mo007 said:
It's a Wednesday for this cycle... letters can actually arrive as early as Monday or Tuesday, depending on how fast the mail circulates in your local area.

or as late as Th, Fri, Sat, or even the following Mon... for the same reason.. especially from coast to coast mailings... :eek:

Comet208 said:
or as late as Th, Fri, Sat, or even the following Mon... for the same reason.. especially from coast to coast mailings... :eek:
Right!

I applied to midwest and east coast schools only, I am not expecting too much delay, if not early or Dec 1st, on the letters.

I suppose you can call the schools on Dec 1st if you can't take it anymore. :D

Ya, I suppose I am getting a bit nervous. I was just thinking to myself yesterday "Wow! The admissions monster is almost done!" For the past couple of years I listened to classmates discuss this interview and that, the joys of dealing with AADSAS, the essays, and so on. In my mind the admissions process sort of developed into a D-Day sort of thing encompassing a mass effort of organization, expenditure of money which I don't have, and hoping I could slim down to ace the swimsuit competition. Having all of that behind me has brought some closure, that's for sure. The wait isn't eating me alive, but certain moments throughout the day I'll have a quick "I wonder what kind of response I'll get." Then again, you should check back with me on the eve of November 30th and see if I am still in one semi-coherent piece or have any fingernails left....

Sprgrover said:
Ya, I suppose I am getting a bit nervous. I was just thinking to myself yesterday "Wow! The admissions monster is almost done!" For the past couple of years I listened to classmates discuss this interview and that, the joys of dealing with AADSAS, the essays, and so on. In my mind the admissions process sort of developed into a D-Day sort of thing encompassing a mass effort of organization, expenditure of money which I don't have, and hoping I could slim down to ace the swimsuit competition. Having all of that behind me has brought some closure, that's for sure. The wait isn't eating me alive, but certain moments throughout the day I'll have a quick "I wonder what kind of response I'll get." Then again, you should check back with me on the eve of November 30th and see if I am still in one semi-coherent piece or have any fingernails left....
I feel you.

I think AADSAS should offer post-Dec 1st psychotherapy, for those who waited months to hear from schools. The tension gets steep towards the final hours, hang in there. ;)

Mo007 said:
I feel you.

I think AADSAS should offer post-Dec 1st psychotherapy, for those who waited months to hear from schools. The tension gets steep towards the final hours, hang in there. ;)

:laugh: you mean if turn into a gibbering idiot from the wait, the schools will revoke their acceptances (that is, if i get any)??? unfair :( personally, i think dental school would just be much easier, not to mention funner, if i was stark raving loony.... ah well. the end is in sight; we will there somehow...

oodles of luck to everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Sprgrover said:

wow....I can not write an essay this good even if i spent a week on it. Your personal statement must be a killer! You should post it for us all to admire

KobeInnocent said:
wow....I can not write an essay this good even if i spent a week on it. Your personal statement must be a killer! You should post it for us all to admire

Ah, thanks. In all honesty my personal statement is void of life and reads much like a page from the IRS tax code - but thanks for thinking it would be stellar!

I remember after my final interview in September I was so relieved knowing that it was all done and out of my hands. I wasn't too nervous or anxious until November 1st when I realized how close the end was. Since then it's been difficult to clear my mind of this whole process.

I'm curious to know how many people will actually check their mailbox on December 1st thinking there might be some slim chance of having a letter. I will even though I know there's no realistic chance of having anything.

Bruxomaniac said:
I'm curious to know how many people will actually check their mailbox on December 1st thinking there might be some slim chance of having a letter. I will even though I know there's no realistic chance of having anything.

I know I will be checking the mailbox or running after the mailperson like a rabbid little dog on December 1st. Some schools do place letters in the mail in late November, and I interviewed at some of those very same schools. You never know. Plus, I feel like this is going to be my christmas present.

Sprgrover said:
I know I will be checking the mailbox or running after the mailperson like a rabbid little dog on December 1st. Some schools do place letters in the mail in late November, and I interviewed at some of those very same schools. You never know. Plus, I feel like this is going to be my christmas present.

i'll be anxiously checking the mail starting around nov. 28. also, if i find out anyone else got accepted to the schools i applied to, i am sure i won't be able to handle it and will call up the schools and ask for my status :D also, i was reading the 2004 "what did you recieve today" thread and it appears that at least 20+ people on here did indeed get something in the mail/phone call/email promptly on dec. 1 last year.

Bruxomaniac said:

Some schools were very upfront in stating that they mail their letters a few days in advance so the mail arrives on December First.

edkNARF said:
Some schools were very upfront in stating that they mail their letters a few days in advance so the mail arrives on December First.

I heard the same thing. After glancing over last year's acceptance thread it looks like a lot of schools send out those acceptance, be it by mail, phone, or email. It seemed a bit like an auction - they want to get those bids out to those special students before some rival snatches them up with another offer.

What really stinks is that I will be travelling during the latter part of next week to another interview. I will leave Dec. 2nd and come back home on Dec. 4th... bad time to be gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wimmcs said:
What really stinks is that I will be travelling during the latter part of next week to another interview. I will leave Dec. 2nd and come back home on Dec. 4th... bad time to be gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then again if you receive some good news in the mean time and your interview is wack, you can through some paper clips at the guy, scream "see ya!", and flee just like any self-respecting professional. You'll be fine, wimmcs and I look for you to get into several schools. Best of luck on the upcoming interview.

I was also looking through the 2004 acceptance list and I noticed that there were no acceptances for UCLA, USC, AND UCSF on December 1st. In fact there were very few acceptances into the middle of December. Does that mean that those of us who applied there shouldn't get our hopes up about hearing back on the 1st?

Sprgrover said:
It seemed a bit like an auction - they want to get those bids out to those special students before some rival snatches them up with another offer.

It will be nice to start feeling like we are the ones doing the selection, and not the schools.