I sucked at the June '06 PCAT...should I wait to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BackeyWackey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, obviously I need to retake the PCAT in October, but do I need to wait until I take that and my scores are recieved by PharmCAS before I apply to Pharmacy school? That would really suck because my schools I want to go to have rolling admissions. I don't want my schools to see my awful score on my PCAT the first time around and then throw my application out the window because of my suckey score, and not even consider me before I take my second PCAT.
I did average I guess in Verbal, bio, and reading (68, 73, 64 respectively), a 4 on writing, but absolutely horrible on math and chemistry (36 for math :( , Im embarassed, and even worse for chemistry).

Help. Advice. Please.

Members don't see this ad.

I really sucked!!!!!
I think I am the worst score in this forum :(
WEll:
verbal: 55
biology: 48
reading: 24
quantitative: 49
chemistry: 65
composite: 45
writing: 3
I know this is not an excuse, but Englsih is my second language, and I think the reason why I did horrible in reading is because I am a very slow reader, and I didn't have enough time to read all the passages.
I know, you guys are thinking I should quit now...but I am possitive that when I take it for the 2nd time in October I will do much better because I will know how to prepare for it and what to expect that day.
My new strategy will be to take test after test and time myself like if it were the real PCAT. I know the material but I just have to practice to think faster.
Thank you for listening....

Carboxilic774 said:
I really sucked!!!!!
I think I am the worst score in this forum :(
WEll:
verbal: 55
biology: 48
reading: 24
quantitative: 49
chemistry: 65
composite: 45
writing: 3
I know this is not an excuse, but Englsih is my second language, and I think the reason why I did horrible in reading is because I am a very slow reader, and I didn't have enough time to read all the passages.
I know, you guys are thinking I should quit now...but I am possitive that when I take it for the 2nd time in October I will do much better because I will know how to prepare for it and what to expect that day.
My new strategy will be to take test after test and time myself like if it were the real PCAT. I know the material but I just have to practice to think faster.
Thank you for listening....

I haven't taken the PCAT yet, but I too am a very slow reader. I used to be around 160 wpm, which is about the avg level of a 16 year old :(, but now after about a month i'm at around 240-250. I've been using this book :Breakthrough Rapid Reading by Kump. People seem to have faster results than I have had, but naturally they were faster readers. Maybe this book can help improve your reading scores. I read about a girl in the book and english was her second lang. She struggled and didn't have much improvement, but at the end of the course she ended up at 600 wpm.

Also for timing i've been using a robic countdown timer, you can get it on amazon. The timer is much better than looking at a second hand or a stopwatch for that matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
BackeyWackey said:
Does anyone know the answer to my original question?

I think you should defintely apply early even though you have a bad PCAT score. From what I heard, the earlier you apply, the better it gets. My friend told me that you can also update your PCAT score on PharmCas.

I got a 61 percentile because it didn't study much. It will try again to boost my score.