I think I might have applied to too many schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sm1nty

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my AADSAS application early July, without having taken the DAT. (Finally got it out of the way last Friday)

Now I think that I might have applied to too many schools. Does it look bad if I applied to 16 schools?

I really want to move out west, California or Seattle, and I know it's really really competitive out there, especially for nonresidents, but I want to give it a shot. I also applied to all the east coast schools (cos they're within driving distance from me), thinking that the more schools I see and the more people I talk to, the better the decision-making process for me.

What do you think about 16 schools? Too many, or okay? And I'd like to hear from nonresidents who got into UW, UCSF or UCLA. Does UoP favor Ca residents even though it's not a state school?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh yes, my stats - TS24/AA22/PA21; Science GPA 3.9; Non science GPA 3.85.

I'm worried about my RC and QR though. Got 19s. Don't know what happened. Do schools have a 20 cut off? There's no time to retake!

why is it always the smart people who lack common sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to many schools too.
I'm not too worried about this.
As long as you can justify all your school selections you will be fine.

You think you applied to too many schools? Try 32 schools for size. But then again, my GPA (the source of my insecurity) isn't anywhere near yours. But better to go overkill on apps then have to reapply next year.
I can't see any good reason a school would hold number of schools applied against you. Keep the paranoia at bay.

I'm worried about my RC and QR though. Got 19s. Don't know what happened. Do schools have a 20 cut off? There's no time to retake!

Yup, they sure do. Actually, the cutoff is at a 21. Looks like you won't be accepted anywhere. Try applying to 48 dental schools and then maybe, just maybe, you might get in.

When I read these types of posts I think to myself that either the poster likes to brag, is a super duper overachiever, or has no common sense at all. If you come to SDN often, you should know by now that most score low on the QR, very low. I'm talking about scores in the 14-16 range. Secondly, you should know that schools don't have a cutoff of a 20 from common sense as a dental school applicant. If the average DAT score is 18-19, do you think schools would cutoff applicants at a 20? Plus, if you are that worried about your scores why not go to the school website and check for cutoff requirements yourself? Geez.

I dont know about the rest of your application but your stats are very good. I wish I had those kinds of numbers when I was applying. Grades wise I think you are a very competative applicant for the schools you are interested in the west coast.

No offense but I think to retake your DAT would be a really stupid decision. As mentioned I think 16 schools maybe too much for a person with your kind of scores. And again your definitely going to have more of a challenge choosing between all your acceptances but better to have more acceptances than none. Best of luck to you.

Yeah man, with those scores you should retake.

I applied last cycle and remember that in many interviews the interviewer would ask me where else I applied. I do not think that schools know where else you applied and for that matter to how many schools you applied. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I applied last cycle and remember that in many interviews the interviewer would ask me where else I applied. I do not think that schools know where else you applied and for that matter to how many schools you applied. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

They have access to that info

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my AADSAS application early July, without having taken the DAT. (Finally got it out of the way last Friday)

Now I think that I might have applied to too many schools. Does it look bad if I applied to 16 schools?

I really want to move out west, California or Seattle, and I know it's really really competitive out there, especially for nonresidents, but I want to give it a shot. I also applied to all the east coast schools (cos they're within driving distance from me), thinking that the more schools I see and the more people I talk to, the better the decision-making process for me.

What do you think about 16 schools? Too many, or okay? And I'd like to hear from nonresidents who got into UW, UCSF or UCLA. Does UoP favor Ca residents even though it's not a state school?

Do yourself a favor and chill-out; unless you blow your 12-16 interviews, you'll be accepted to dental school - congrats - you're in!:thumbup:

This is the stupidest post of my life!

When I read these types of posts I think to myself that either the poster likes to brag, is a super duper overachiever, or has no common sense at all.

Amen.

damn it, who put a question mark on the teleprompter!?

In German San Diego translates to whale's vagina.

When I read these types of posts I think to myself that either the poster likes to brag, is a super duper overachiever, or has no common sense at all. If you come to SDN often, you should know by now that most score low on the QR, very low. I'm talking about scores in the 14-16 range. Secondly, you should know that schools don't have a cutoff of a 20 from common sense as a dental school applicant. If the average DAT score is 18-19, do you think schools would cutoff applicants at a 20? Plus, if you are that worried about your scores why not go to the school website and check for cutoff requirements yourself? Geez.

what i thought..

Yeah, I was asked in my interviews last year why I had applied to the schools I applied to (they named the ones I applied to) and then asked why I wanted to go to school there when I had applied to all the other ones. This absolutely does have a negative affect for people who have high stats b.c. they figure you will get accepted elsewhere. Drop some of those schools if you can and tell them in the interviews if they ask that you withdrew from some of them. You will get in...just don't brag about your stats b.c. nobody likes that type of personality in d-school...we have too many of those people

I agree with the above post that it can negatively impact you if you have good stats and applied to so many schools, but my advice would be to tell your interviewers that you applied before you took the DAT and had no idea how well you would do on the DAT. As it turns out, you did quite well, so now applying to 16 schools looks like overkill.

I agree with the above post that it can negatively impact you if you have good stats and applied to so many schools, but my advice would be to tell your interviewers that you applied before you took the DAT and had no idea how well you would do on the DAT. As it turns out, you did quite well, so now applying to 16 schools looks like overkill.
I have been thinking of withdrawing my application from several schools, now that 16 schools does seem like overkill, so thanks guys, for the constructive comments, I appreciate it. I feel better about my decision.

Wow this whole process is completely nerve wrecking!

I have been thinking of withdrawing my application from several schools, now that 16 schools does seem like overkill, so thanks guys, for the constructive comments, I appreciate it. I feel better about my decision.

Wow this whole process is completely nerve wrecking!
Why withdraw if you already submitted your money. You can never have too many interviews in the event you get screwed.

This is my 3rd time applying in 4 years... after not having applied to enough schools the last time, I'd highly recommend not withdrawing from any schools. You are obviously going to get into multiple schools. But i would just tell the schools that you are committed to going to dental school and you wanted to make sure you had all your bases covered. Some crazy **** goes down in the dental school application process sometimes. Just let those interviews and acceptances roll in... and then have a good time picking your favorite :)

The only gripe I have of applying to so many schools is the annoying supplementary material. I though AADSAS is suppose to centralize this whole application process???:confused: