I took my prerequisites a few years ago...what is the best way to study for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Natalia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Natalia said:
I'm beginning my 4th year of grad school this fall & I plan to apply to medical school next year for entering in fall 2008. I took my pre-med requirements from 99-01. I'm a strong science student, but I'm a bit nervous about relearning all the physics, inorganic chem, and organic chem. I'm wondering what the best way to prepare for the MCAT will be. Will Kaplan be enough? (supplemented by using my college textbooks for reference) Should I just go ahead and try to re-read my college textbooks? Should I try to sit in on undergrad classes? Any advice? Thanks!

Kaplan should be enough, assuming you were comfortable with all the topics when you learned them originally.

Agreed that Kaplan should be enough. Use your old texts as references when you can't quite grasp a topic or want more background, but I would hesitate to reread them cover to cover. I'd also avoid undergrad classes if you're a strong science student. The hour spent in a lecture introducing rookies to material could be spent much better reviewing on your own.