i want a list of lowest tier US medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

link26

Loves the pooty
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
US news and world report is uninformative junk

What are the 'worst' med schools? i.e. your safety schools.
I need a list of ~10 to apply to. I'm only applying to schools that accept the worst of the worst (berkeley grad with 30 mcat, 3.1 gpa, and a bunch of C's in upper div science courses).

toss out some names, please

Members don't see this ad.

hawaii pacific univ,

temple univ,

and thats about it....

maybe you should take the mcat again... =(

I don't know anything about the other school, but I would never call Temple the worst of the worst. What makes you say that? Because of the probation? That has nothign to do with its academics. That has to do with financial aid and facilities/class size.

To the original poster: What's your Science GPA? If it's a 3.1 also, and unless you have strengths in other areas, maybe you should take some more classes to raise the Science GPA before you apply. Or apply just for the heck of it, and still do some classses and other stuff to strengthen your application for a subsequent cycle if you don't get in initially. Your Mcat is fine but your gpa on its face might be too low for any allopathic school. (On the other hand, who knows? Maybe they'll still like your appl. overall)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by kmnfive

temple univ,

I'm curious as to how you came to name Temple as the worst of the worst. I don't even think it's the worst of the worst in PA, much less the entire country!

Regarding the schools to apply to, really there is no worst school. Any medical school in the US is going to give you a good medical education. There is a broad range of MCATs and GPAs, therefore, some peopl with lower MCATs and lower GPAs are accepted at all schools.

The recommendation that I have heard for any applicant is to apply to at least 20 schools. If you want to increase your chances of being accepted, then apply to all the public schools in your state, and then apply to only private schools out of state. Present yourself well during your interviews. If you don't get in on your first try, then you could always take a few more classes to get your GPA up and then apply again. Your MCAT is at the average for all medical students accepted, so that is not going to reflect negatively.

Also, I am going to USUHS. It is a good school, and if you like the military, its the way to go.

Good luck,
Republicandr

Hawaii won't look at you unless your from Hawaii or have some sort of ties there.

Originally posted by republicandr
Also, I am going to USUHS. It is a good school, and if you like the military, its the way to go.

Good luck,
Republicandr

There is nothing quite like making a profit in medschool=)

over two hundred people viewed the page, and there's two schools on the list.. one apparently ISNT even "worst of the worst" and the other accepts like 1% of the nation.

just trust USNews man.

unless one of these veterans on here would like to compile a nice more accurate list....
(which would assist me a great deal too)

Here are the '96 Gourman rankings (top to bottom) ...

1. Harvard
2. Johns Hopkins
3. Penn
4. UCSF
5. YALE
6. UCHICAGO
7. Columbia
8. Stanford
9. Cornell
10. Michigan
11. UCLA
12. Duke
13. WA U
14. Northwestern
15. UMinn
16. Tulane
17. URoch
18. Vandy
19. NYU
20. UCSD
21. UVA
22. UNC-Chapel Hill
23. Tufts
24. UCDavis
25. BU
26. Indiana U
27. UWisc
28. UIll
29. UIowa
30. UWash
31. Georgetown
32. OhioState
33. SUNY-Buff
34. GWU
35. UC Irvine
36. Baylor
37. Bowman Gray
38. Emory
39. UPitt
40. LomaLinda
41. Einstein
42. ULouisville
43. Loyola Chicago
44. SLU
45. Dartmouth
46. USC
47. UMissouri
48. Wayne
49. Temple
50. SUNY Stony
51. Brown
52. Case Western
53. Sinai
54. UCONN
55. UKansas
56. Creighton
57. UCOL
58. UMaryland
59. OHSU
60. Albany
61. UUTAH
62. UFLA
63. MAYO
64. Miami
65. Michigan State
66. UTEX SW
67. UMissouri KC
68. UTEX Galv
69. UTEX SA
70. PennState
71. SUNY-Brooklyn
72. UCincinatti
73. SUNY-Syracuse
74. LSU-NO
75. UAL
76. UNEB
77. UKENT
78. UVM
79. LSU-SHreve
80. UTENN
81. NYMC
82. JEFF
83. UOK
84. WVU
85. UTEX-Houston
86. UARK
87. MCP/HAHN
88. UMDNJ
89. UARIZONA
90. USFLA
91. MC South Car
92. UMississi
93. MeHarry
94. Rush
95. UVA-Richmond
96. MC Georgia
97. MC Ohio
98. Finch
99. Howard
100. UNMex
101. Southern Ill
102. TEXTECH
103. UMDNJ-Rutgers
104. UHAWAII
105. UMASS
106. MC Wisc
107. U Puerto
108. U South Carolina
109. UNevada
110. Uniformed
111. UNorthDak
112. USouthDak
113. Northeastern Ohio
114. East Carol
115. Marshall
116. E VA
117. E Tenn
118. U So Carol-Mobile
119. Tex AM
120. VA Cmmnwealth
121. Wright State
122. Morehouse
123. Mercer
124. Ponce
125. U Cen Del Caribe

Disclaimer, this list is ancient and to many considered inacurate, but can be used to give you a general idea.

How old is that list??? I'm from TX and there is no way UTMB is higher than UTSA, UTH, TT and A&M. The TX schools have shuffled a lot in the past decade. Baylor, UTSW and TT have moved up sigificantly in national rankings. UTMB has MCAT/GPA something like 26/3.5.

I'm going to pretend I never saw that list............

I like Temple's position on the Gourman :D but to have Mayo so low pretty much destroys any credibility...

I'll toss out some potential names, but take them with a grain of salt - they just happen to have large classes with California contingents and are more likely to accept someone with your stats.

NYMC
Drexel
Finch Chicago Medical School

Possibly Albany, Loyola, Wake Forest and George Washington.
And definitely apply to Temple (the 30 MCAT should help, so who knows...)

Also unless you're dead-set against a URM school, give Howard and Meharry a shot. I don't believe any med school in the US is "bad" (in that you couldn't become a good physician) and that includes them.

I know this must be an old list. They are ranked pretty highly now.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeeaaah!!

med school #100-125, here i come.

I couldn't get a hold of the latest US news rankings anywhere. my bookstore and library didn't have it.

but the gourmans give me a good idea.

I'm not going to apply to california schools cuz i got no chance. the UC schools get a gazillion applications, and would be a waste of money for me.

I would NOT trust that list... there are a lot of things that raise suspicions besides of course mayo. Is this a list for research or Primary care, anyway? why don't you search for that gourman ranking and pull out a recent one.

Apply to all you instate school (umm, unless you calif, which it seems you may).

things that suprise me on that: Univ of Chicago is too high.

WashU and Duke are too low. Case is much better then a lot of schools listed with as better then it.
Even the top schools on this list definetly do n't correspond to the tops in US News. Besides, you shouldn't look for "worst" school as much as school with lowest selectivity. Some of those worst schools may be outside you state, and only except in state residents. then, you have no chance.

And... what year are you applying for? if you're applying for 2004, expecially with poor grades, you should have submitted AMCAS a while ago. It's not too late, but rolling admissions and all mean you should start acting.

I don't think kmnfive was being serious...

Originally posted by link26

I couldn't get a hold of the latest US news rankings anywhere. my bookstore and library didn't have it.

but the gourmans give me a good idea.

I'm not going to apply to california schools cuz i got no chance. the UC schools get a gazillion applications, and would be a waste of money for me.

If you have decent #s, and a resident of CA you should give Calif. schools a try, sometimes the process gets pretty random. You might be one of the lucky outliers that can get in, when others w/higher numbers don't. Never know until you try, and you might beat yourself on the head when you hear of someone w/lower #s then you get in.

US News rankings:

1 harvard
2 jhu
3 washustlouis
4 duke
5 upenn
6 ucsf
7 columbia
8 stanford
9 umichigan
10 yale
11 uwashington
12 baylor
13 cornell
14 ucla
15 vanderbilt
16 ucsd
17 utsouthwestern
18 upittsburgh
19 emory
20 mayo
21 northwestern
22 uchicago
23 unorthcarolina
24 casewesternreserve
25 ualabama
26 uiowa
27 uvirginia
28 nyu
29 MSSM
30 uwisconsin
31 urochester
32 oregon
33 ucolorado
34 einstein
35 dartmouth
36 usc
37 ohiostate
38 uminnesota
39 indianau
40 boston
41 umaryland
42 wakeforest
43 brown
44 tufts
45 uflorida
46 uofutah
47 georgetown
48 ucincinnati
49 jefferson
50 medicalcollegeofwisconsin
51 umass-worchester
52. UCI
53. UCD
54. Stony Brook, Tulane
56. Miami, UT Houston
58. UMDNJ-RWJ
59. UCONN, VCU
61 MUSC, Vermont
63. SUNY Buffalo
64 GW, SLU, Wayne State
67 UMDNJ-NJMS, Nebraska, Oklahoma

To the OP, so I guess anything not on this list would be considered the the bottom half of the class in research ranking.

what was the methodology used to compile the gourman list?

<P>in any case, i dont think there is such a thing as a bad med school. but if you're looking for a med school that has to go through a ton of their wait-listed kids before getting a final class, and/or have lower average GPA and/or MCAT scores, then i would suggest some of the following:

<P>Drexel (formerly MCP)
<P>Finch/Chicago Medical School
<P>New York Medical College
<P>St. Louis University
<P>George Washington U
<P>Albany Medical College

<P>however, some of you may want to dispute this list.

the reason i discarded the US News rankings was that it was divided into research/primary care, with a great disparity between the two.

The specialties i'm thinking of going into are pediatrics or dermatology. So I guess I should be looking at primary care rankings?? :confused:

The rankings have always confused me in this way.

Having a list of the top 67 schools is nice for ruling out. But it would be even more helpful to get the lowest 25 schools from the US News rankings.

Do Not Make the same mistake I did!!!!!!! PLEEEEEZ DON'T!!

APPLY TO WHERE U WANT TO GO, regardless of what the ranking, stats, and people in this forum tell u. U NEVER KNOW HOW THINGS TURN OUT!!!

here is my story: me and my best friend both graduated from a failry good college last yr with 4.0s....both had a whole bunch of volunteer work and both got gr8 research jobs at the NIH....it was totally amazing....our stats were so similar that my advisor told us not to apply to the same schools!!! I mean even our life experiences were the same darn thing!!! the only difference was our MCAT scores....I got a 27 and he got a 28!! the verbal killed us. Anyhow....just like u, i got on sdn and asked for advise....many many ppl told me not to waste my money and just resit for the test.....and tole him that he MIGHT, just MIGHT, have a chance of getting into a mid/low tier school if he got lucky. I took what i learned here kindda seriously and after reviewing the average stats of matriculants in a number of schools i was totally convinced that only we'd be lucky if we get an interview at ponce, so i went and applied to four schools just to "try my luck". My friend on the other hand was totally indifferent to what ppl told him...he had his list 15 schools...5 from the top...5 from the middle...anf 5 from the very bottom (including a carribean school).
Now i look back and regret the way i treated this whole process. Both of us got multiple acceptances, and we are both getting ready to start this fall. The only difference is that one of us is going to be an MSI at Harvard!!

Do the right thing!!! apply wisely!! with ur numbers u have a chance.....I'll tell u what my friend told me last august: "if there is only a 0.0001% chance of getting in, why not take a shot at it????!!!"

wish u all the best

Originally posted by IOE

Do the right thing!!! apply wisely!! with ur numbers u have a chance.....I'll tell u what my friend told me last august: "if there is only a 0.0001% chance of getting in, why not take a shot at it????!!!"

True. I checked the average stats for my school here . Although this data isn't statistically significant, for the people with my stats (30 mcat, 3.0-3.2 gpa), only 2 out of 9 people got into a medical school.
I just want to make the best of this low ratio. :p

My school, LSU Shreveport, is more exclusive then Harvard. If you ain't from Louisiana, you ain't getting in.

Put that in your pipe etc. etc.

Originally posted by kmnfive
hawaii pacific univ,

temple univ,

and thats about it....

maybe you should take the mcat again... =(
Where'd you get that??? Hawaii Pacific University doesn't have a medical school. :rolleyes:

There's only one medical school in the state of Hawaii, and that is University of Hawaii. I've interviewed there; I thought it pretty much sucked. And you can't get in unless you have very strong ties to Hawaii- more than just residency.

"Back ups" of which I'm aware: New York Medical College, Albany, and Drexel. I assume there are other such "back ups" in other regions, these are just the one proximal to MY region (NYC).

Apply to your state school(s), the regional (and non-regional) "back ups", and where ever you really want to go, even if that's Harvard.

wait, George Washington University is an 'easy' school to get into?

Originally posted by HouseHead
Where'd you get that??? Hawaii Pacific University doesn't have a medical school. :rolleyes:

There's only one medical school in the state of Hawaii, and that is University of Hawaii. I've interviewed there; I thought it pretty much sucked. And you can't get in unless you have very strong ties to Hawaii- more than just residency.

Hmmm.. soooo.. if my family recently made a newsworthy donation to the University of Hawaii, but I'm out of State.. does that give me a strong chance? :p Actually, I was being serious with that one..

But University of Hawaii seems to be ranked pretty low.. in terms of education and USMLE pass rates and average scores attained, would it even be worth it? I'm looking towards Caribbean Schools as back up like Ross and SGU where they have fairly reputable reputations.

the school that you picture youself getting into will never be the most probable school to accept you. Admissions is sooo very strange...

First off, my scores are very modest, and I am in a demographic that (stereo)typically gets stellar scores...

I got am not from NY or PA and got into schools there before I got into my own state school. I had to continually update my state school just to let them know they were my first choice and they finally took me off the waitlist in june.

So what was meant as a "safety" was actually the fifth school to accept me! And only after continual updates!

Furthermore, for just the sake of applying, I applied to schools i didn't think I had a shot at, and I got interviews there!

the process is very unpredictable.

apply to a whide list of schools, seriously

Like everyone else said, there are no such thing as "worse" medical schools or back up medical schools in the US. Basing your application decision solely on the admission criterions released by the schools can be a mistake. Applying just to schools which normally accpets students with similar or lower GPA/MCAT than your own doesn't guarentee your admission. There are just too many other variables that factor into the whole process.

Case in point, I applied to several medical schools that I thought were my safety schools, thinking that I have a great chance to get in because of similar GPA/ MCAT to their published average. But as it turned out, I didn't even get an interview with those schools. :confused: On the other hand, several schools that I thought I didnt' have a good chance of getting into were the ones that granted me interviews. In fact, I end up enrolling to a school that I thought I didn't have much shot at getting into in the first place (A State school that I didnt' have residency or any ties with). I know its tough for California students because our own state schools do not protect their own residents. Apply to schools that you want to go to and dont' worry too much on the ranking of the schools. On the other hand, Caribbean schools with good academic reputations can be a good "safety" option.