I want to be a a doctor but I suck at chemistry!

sonpat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've wanted to be a doctor ever since I was a tiny little thing. I'm in high school now and I loved Biology and did well in it . The problem is , I am so so so bad at Chemistry and Physics... I've struggled alot in those classes. I don't mind learning about those subjects, I think they are interesting. I just suck at them. I want to go into medical school but I don't know if I can handle the courses. What if I go to my undergrad and tank my GPA with Chem and Physics???

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, so I've wanted to be a doctor ever since I was a tiny little thing. I'm in high school now and I loved Biology and did well in it . The problem is , I am so so so bad at Chemistry and Physics... I'm struggled alot in those classes. I don't mind learning about those subjects, I think they are interesting. I just suck at them. I want to go into medical school but I don't know if I can handle the courses. What if I go to my undergrad and tank my GPA with Chem and Physics???

Chem and physics arent that relevant to med school. Just do your best in those courses. Plenty of my peers struggled in physics in undergrad. You can be bad at chem/physics and become a doc.

If you put the time and do enough practice problems you will eventually "get it." You don't need straight A's. Also use ratemyprofs to get a good professor that will explain info well. Also MCAT is more BIO based now!!!

Don't worry. I was pretty bad at chemistry in high school too. I was better in college but far from great. I had to work at it, but you'll be surprised how hard you're willing to work at something you really want once you get to college. Finding the topics interesting will be helpful to you too, it makes the work easier. Besides, things can really turn around with the right professor. I thought I was OK but not great at math in high school and didn't really find it that interesting, took some calculus for pre-med requirements in college, and BOOM ended up a math minor.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can always not take the prereqs in college and take them later in a postbac, after you've matured as a student and goosed up a high GPA with things you don't "suck" at. And take them as part of a lighter schedule to boot. Its how a lot of us non-science types got in. Just saying.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, so I've wanted to be a doctor ever since I was a tiny little thing. I'm in high school now and I loved Biology and did well in it . The problem is , I am so so so bad at Chemistry and Physics... I've struggled alot in those classes. I don't mind learning about those subjects, I think they are interesting. I just suck at them. I want to go into medical school but I don't know if I can handle the courses. What if I go to my undergrad and tank my GPA with Chem and Physics???

You can take them over again after you finish your degree, and there is something known as Osteopathic Medical schools, they have something known as Grade Replacement, if you take a course over again, they take the higher of the two grades you got, so don't sell yourself short.

You can take them over again after you finish your degree, and there is something known as Osteopathic Medical schools, they have something known as Grade Replacement, if you take a course over again, they take the higher of the two grades you got, so don't sell yourself short.

Much better for allo to never take them at all until postbac than take them over. And wouldn't hurt your chances for DO either. If you know going in that you'll suck at them I'd personally steer clear for now.

Physics is tough for me too, come to think of it, any mathematics based course is. You need to put in the time. I always struggled with mathematics in HS. In undergrad, I'm now tutoring others. Point is, you just need to dominate whatever you're weak at. Stoichiometry? I remember almost crying over that (silly, I know.) Worked at that for two weeks straight. Test time came around? 100%. :)

You can do it!