I want to be a dermatologist?

Started by mas1996
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mas1996

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really am considering a term career, and i know its really competitive. I'm considering applying to the brown PLME program since the lack of taking the MCAT is tempting. However, I'm worried that the Warren Alpert medical school isn't good enough to help me get into a dermatology residency. Also, is not taking the MCAT bad preparation? Will I be at a disadvantage? I looked at the residency placements for the school and saw that it was like 1%. I know it's really competitive but I don't know what I should do. I want to go to brown for undergrad but maybe I shouldn't do the PLME and take the MCAT. I'm willing to take a year off and do dermatology research if I don't get the residency.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Matching is all about board scores, department letters and away rotations. If, by the time you get to your electives in medical school (usually by your 4th year), you would try to do derm rotations at institutions where you wanted to match into. Get there early, stay late and work hard.
 
Matching is all about board scores, department letters and away rotations. If, by the time you get to your electives in medical school (usually by your 4th year), you would try to do derm rotations at institutions where you wanted to match into. Get there early, stay late and work hard.
In addition to all of the above, I'd also recommend pursuing research as soon as possible.

To match into any competitive specialty, your resume must reflect that you are pursuing the field for the right reasons. For dermatology, you need to demonstrate interest in the normal function, disease and preventative care involved with the skin.

Start reading up about important topics in dermatology. A big one is skin cancer, particularly melanoma. If you can join a lab that is involved in research in this (or any other field of derm), then that is absolutely golden on your resume.

Good luck.
 
I really am considering a term career, and i know its really competitive. I'm considering applying to the brown PLME program since the lack of taking the MCAT is tempting. However, I'm worried that the Warren Alpert medical school isn't good enough to help me get into a dermatology residency. Also, is not taking the MCAT bad preparation? Will I be at a disadvantage? I looked at the residency placements for the school and saw that it was like 1%. I know it's really competitive but I don't know what I should do. I want to go to brown for undergrad but maybe I shouldn't do the PLME and take the MCAT. I'm willing to take a year off and do dermatology research if I don't get the residency.

It doesn't matter about the med school. It matters about your performance in med school just like it does in UG for an acceptance to med school but this is for residency.

Dermatology is a competitive specialty due to high salary, and comfortable lifestyle.
 
Agreed with others. It is incorrect to think that you can't match into derm because your med school somehow isn't good enough. It meets the same LCME standards as every other school, and your performance on the USMLE exams and experience in the field are the largest influence on your chances.
 
Agreed with others. It is incorrect to think that you can't match into derm because your med school somehow isn't good enough. It meets the same LCME standards as every other school, and your performance on the USMLE exams and experience in the field are the largest influence on your chances.

But will higher ranked med schools prepare you better?
 
This is somewhat of a distant concept in high school, so I think you brought up a great question. First, let's look at how schools are ranked. There are two general fields for ranking: primary care, and research. Generally when we just talk about "top schools" people are discussing the latter. So why does research make a school "better" and how is it calculated? Well, it doesn't really. It's calculated based on how much NIH funding comes in, among other things, regardless of whether that money is applied to med student education or not. In ~2006 Boston University put up two major biomedical research buildings. At the time, the space was mostly empty still. Few med or grad students used the facilities at all. In fact, they had to hire in a lot of surrounding researchers just to get labs going. And despite these efforts in no way affecting the medical school curriculum or learning experience, the med school ranking shot up.

By now in your high school career, you've come across teachers who promote active learning. That's the majority of med school. In third year after you've seen a patient with some disease you don't know much about, no one will teach you. You have the choice of going home and reading about it yourself, or not. There are no professors. No lecturers. No syllabus or day planning as far as learning goes. Your supervising attending may give you a few factoids, but the depth of your knowledge on that topic is self-motivated. You can easily learn a lot or a little at any med school accordingly.

Now why is it that the "lower ranked" med schools don't "have better residency placements?" Difference of focus. The people who go to med schools who are ranked poorly in research and highly in primary care teaching, on average, have a higher likelihood of wanting to go into primary care. Whereas dermatology pretty much requires research in the field to get into a residency. Even if your school doesn't require research, you can still do it if that's the field you want. But again, people who go to the non-research driven schools are more likely to not want to do research or research-driven fields. Also, people who get into "top ranking" schools generally have better standardized test scores and grades. When they are similarly evaluated in med school with standardized tests, they have a habit of performing well, which repeats the cycle. That doesn't mean the USMLE Step 1 is somehow harder for people in primary care driven med schools. It's the same test.

Bottom line: get through high school and college. Get into the best med school that has the type of community and setup that feels right to you, then worry about residency. You may not realize it in high school, but the road is long and you won't know for sure if you like dermatology until you do it in med school.
 
Last edited:
thanks for the post! I'm just on the fence whether I should I apply to Brown's PLME and be placed in Warren Alpert or just for general admission and go through the more difficult route of the MCAT and admissions but have many med school options.

I would love to think solely about college now, but given the nature of Brown's 8-year program, I'm forced to think about med school now and whether or not I would like to have more options.
 
I actually almost went to Brown; its insane grade inflation makes it a pretty cool place for premeds. Their medical school is great too. Either way, you can get into derms from almost anywhere (aside of Carrib). You just need to basically kick medical school's metaphorical ass. Which is not easy at any medical school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really am considering a term career, and i know its really competitive. I'm considering applying to the brown PLME program since the lack of taking the MCAT is tempting. However, I'm worried that the Warren Alpert medical school isn't good enough to help me get into a dermatology residency. Also, is not taking the MCAT bad preparation? Will I be at a disadvantage? I looked at the residency placements for the school and saw that it was like 1%. I know it's really competitive but I don't know what I should do. I want to go to brown for undergrad but maybe I shouldn't do the PLME and take the MCAT. I'm willing to take a year off and do dermatology research if I don't get the residency.

You will not be at a disadvantage for derm if you graduate from most any US-MD school (having a strong derm dept helps). Last I remember, Brown is a top 30 school (out of something like 130 MD schools). MCAT scores don't matter. Residency placement just shows the percent of the class that went into derm--maybe only 1% wanted to go to derm, so they could theoretically have a 100% match rate (there's no way of knowing). Being prepared to take a year off for research is a good idea for anyone.
 
do med schools vary a lot in terms of difficulty?

This question could really go in two opposite directions. On one hand, the fact that schools have different standards for evaluating students creates an environment that will vary from one school to another. for example, one school (lets call it school A) uses a traditional grading system (A,B,C, ect.) which will naturally push students harder to get the best grade they can, all while pitting students against there fellow classmates to fill out their respective spot on the bell curve. For every "above average" student, there MUST be a "below average" student. Most people going to medical school have always been at the top, and this is a very difficult adjustment for half of the class. This makes the school "harder" in the sense that unless you are comfortable with were you fall on the curve, you may worker harder than someone in the next scenario (we'll call that school B). At school B, grades are pass/fail. All you need to do is pass the class, no one making you compete against your fellow classmates. The guy who got a 76 and just passes get the same grade as the gal who got a 99.

You could argue that school A is harder than school B in this way, by forcing you to compete if you want to be at the top.

You can also argue my other point; Both schools are subjected to the same national tests by which all medical students are heavily evaluated on (USMLE steps, NBME shelf exams, ect.) Both are learning the exact same materials and schools A and B. To do well on these big tests you need to work hard to learn a vast amount of information, regardless of how your classes the first 2 years were graded. So in this respect, they really are the same in terms of difficulty (same material is tested by the same tests).

I hope that answers at least part of your question
 
Last edited:
^ Really great post. I'm just wondering that because you said that they teach the same materials, is one better at preparing you for boards then another? Do higher ranking schools go into more depth and have better opportunities? Or is it because students that get accepted into those schools are naturally self-motivated and hard working because they achieve good scores on the MCAT?
 
^ Really great post. I'm just wondering that because you said that they teach the same materials, is one better at preparing you for boards then another? Do higher ranking schools go into more depth and have better opportunities? Or is it because students that get accepted into those schools are naturally self-motivated and hard working because they achieve good scores on the MCAT?

1. This really is an independent factor, in that people work best in different situations. Some thrive on the competition, others work more effectively in the lower pressure environment. All you can hope for is to get into a school that fits your style.

2. I dont think the depth of material is that variable school to school. I do think it depends on what you consider a "better" opportunity is. Sure, top schools may have a better research opportunities if that is what you are looking for. But other schools may have a super unique rural medicine tract (not to say that a school couldnt have both). It's really about what you are looking for.

3. see response to #1
 
Last edited:
^ Really great post. I'm just wondering that because you said that they teach the same materials, is one better at preparing you for boards then another? Do higher ranking schools go into more depth and have better opportunities? Or is it because students that get accepted into those schools are naturally self-motivated and hard working because they achieve good scores on the MCAT?

I go to a school that has a tiered grading system and I believe that it motivated me to work harder and helped me do well on the boards. I am generally self motivated, but the chance of honors pushed me the extra mile. Most of my classmates don't care about honors at all, so you can treat it as pass/fail if you want to.
 
http://med.brown.edu/about/match

According to this there has been at least 1 per year who matched into dermatology, 3 in 2010 and 4 in 2007...so just make sure you're at the top. Also, why don't you worry about this after you get admitted. There are also other programs with higher medical school rankings if you're worried, and you still don't have to take the MCAT. Look around a bit more if needed 🙂
 
http://med.brown.edu/about/match

According to this there has been at least 1 per year who matched into dermatology, 3 in 2010 and 4 in 2007...so just make sure you're at the top. Also, why don't you worry about this after you get admitted. There are also other programs with higher medical school rankings if you're worried, and you still don't have to take the MCAT. Look around a bit more if needed 🙂

I know but the thing is I really want to go to Brown for undergrad! Basically, my decision is PLME or general admission and MCAT.