I want to be a doctor, but I'm not strong in science

Blueberry17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a high school senior, and I like medicine. My mom is pathologist and I really like going to work with her. I mostly like the grossing and autopsy more than microscope work. I've also shadowed surgeons and radiologists that work in the hospital, and I think that surgery is really cool (like seeing what the inside of people looks like and removing diseased things). I think that I would be most interested in specializing in a surgical area. But I'm not a strong science/math person. I usually get B's in math and science classes, and my math SAT score was the lowest. I'm very strong in humanities (English and history). I don't know if I'll be able to survive in college science and math classes. I don't know what to do. I really think that medicine is cool and I want to be a surgeon.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about this too much until you actually get to college. For now, just focus on doing as well as you can in high school and getting into a college that feels like a good fit for you.

Once you get there, don't pigeonhole yourself as a pre-med. Take classes in a variety of areas that interest you. Keep up with shadowing and clinical experiences and if it feels like medicine is still your passion, start taking basic science classes (intro bio, intro gen chem, etc.). Give yourself time to adjust to college classes and see how you do! You may find that college science, although more challenging than HS, is actually more interesting, too. And you may find yourself doing better than you expect. I hated Chemistry in high school and didn't do very well. Flash forward: I still hated college chemistry but I got mostly A's. I've also always been more of a humanities person--doesn't mean you won't make it to med school! There are lots of resources you can take advantage of in college: pre-med advisors, tutors, TAs, study groups.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't really know what you are good at until mid way through college. You also have plenty of time to figure out what you really want to do

Reactions: 1 users
First, concentrate on getting into college.

I'm currently a high school senior, and I like medicine. My mom is pathologist and I really like going to work with her. I mostly like the grossing and autopsy more than microscope work. I've also shadowed surgeons and radiologists that work in the hospital, and I think that surgery is really cool (like seeing what the inside of people looks like and removing diseased things). I think that I would be most interested in specializing in a surgical area. But I'm not a strong science/math person. I usually get B's in math and science classes, and my math SAT score was the lowest. I'm very strong in humanities (English and history). I don't know if I'll be able to survive in college science and math classes. I don't know what to do. I really think that medicine is cool and I want to be a surgeon.

Reactions: 1 users
Science courses in high school are a totally different beast than those in college. Get into college, major in WHATEVER you want (doesn't have to be science), and take some pre-med pre-requisites, then re-evaluate.

Medicine is rooted in science, and your first two years of medical school are a high-volume of hard sciences. It's intrinsic to the education and intrinsic to the career.

Practice and dedication > raw talent
You can learn how to learn science (if that makes any sense).

Reactions: 1 user
Mclovin wanted to be a body builder but he wasn't strong in muscles.

Before you make a hasty decision, the key thing to determine first is whether you have issue with STEM classes because you have difficulty understanding the material or because of your study habits

95% of medicine is just memorization... Until you begin to practice.

Depends on your work ethic. I was terrible with high school biology :rofl::rofl:. As long as you develop good study habits, and efficient time management skills you will be fine.

The best way to approach science is to become interested. In high school I went through the routine, memorized equations and terms, and got the hell out of dodge. In college I took time to digest what is almost the same material, but in greater detail, and I gained a new perspective on life. I started applying basic concepts into the real world, and learned everything with a purpose. When it comes to science, it's all about perspective and how everything ties in together. If you truly are curious about the existence and behavior of molecules and more importantly life, then fundamental science classes can be rather interesting and fulfilling. There is a major science component in medicine, no one can argue that.

No need to be a science genius. You need dedication + discipline.

My science scores in HS were a joke. Just put on the effort come undergrad.