I Want to be Doctor! I'm Burnt Out and my Parents don't Believe in Me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WMUBroncoMan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This initial post has been deleted! Thank you all for you insightful opinions as I truly do appreciate them!

All the best,
Thank you sincerely!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Do you really want to be a physician, or do you want to be one because your parents want you to be one?

I suggest moving out from under your parent’s thumb and figuring things out for yourself.

Do you really want to be a physician, or do you want to be one because your parents want you to be one?

I suggest moving out from under your parent’s thumb and figuring things out for yourself.

Believe you read it wrong, the parents do not want him/her to be a physician

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I hope everyone finds this thread helpful! As an aspiring physician, I like many of my pre-med comrades want to make this journey of becoming a physician. What daunts me is that I am a senior now as where... you guessed it Western Michigan University studying Bio Med Sci. I am not the smartest individual (GPA 3.69) which is good, but I find this not to be the point. Academically I eventually end up getting an A, BA, B in my sci courses by hook or by crook and by God's Will! Grades are not everything, though! I have a great slew of extracurricular activities! What daunts me is the fact that my mother thinks I will not be able to get into medical school and thinks more or less that I can't take the plunge. I live with my parents and I try to help them as much as I can! What daunts me is that my mother is being very discouraging to me and I am trying to phase that out of my mind! I was also recently accepted into a Master's Program at UMich and my mother was not thrilled or seemed to truly care. She more or less wants to take her way as I have done before and it did not turnout well for me! My mother constantly tells me explicitly or implicitly to do something else other than medicine! My two older sisters have PharmDs my dad has a PhD and my mom is a pharmacist/microbiologist. I am also the youngest one in my family. If you find yourself in a similar situation you are not alone and feel free to share! I also have to say that I'm suffering from senioritis!
Haha pharmacists.

are you going to apply? MCAT score, ECs, research, etc. Keep at it and when you’re a doctor nothing else will matter.

Believe you read it wrong, the parents do not want him/her to be a physician

You’re right. My advice largely remains unchanged however. Get out from under your parents thumb. If you want it bad enough, you’ll find a way.

Reactions: 1 users