I want to date an ex preceptor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viral_candy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished a rotation with a site today, it was an IPPE [1 week] and he wasn't my preceptor- he's just a pharmacist who worked there but I shadowed him for a little bit. How would I go about asking him out on a date and would it be ok?

Members don't see this ad.

Worry about your loans first. It’s what everyone does here lol

Reactions: 3 users
Just ask him out for lunch/dinner/hangout, if he is interested he will make time. If he is not, he will give you myriads reason that he is "busy".

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’d put a little more buffer time in.

Reactions: 1 users
Usually girls asking guys out doesn’t result in a favorable outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming I wasn't already married, if some almost graduated student asked me out, I would assume they were looking for someone to help them pay off their loans. I would tell them uh, I'm kinda of dating someone else right now. Sorry, but NO!

He technically isn't an ex-preceptor if he wasn't actually your preceptor. There's nothing wrong with it... However, as others have mentioned he may suspect that you want something else (connections, jobs, someone to help pay off loans). If you want to ask him for professional related help, I personally wouldn't also ask him on a date, since it just makes the whole situation uncomfortably weird. Also, if he isn't interested or things don't go too well, your relationship will be super awkward and you'll probably end up avoiding each other. Then again, that may happen anyway, and I suppose ulterior motives are always a risk, so wth. IMO it's cool as long as you're not trying to be a brown-noser/gold-digger/etc.

Wait a few years until you are older, wiser, employed, stable, & not still perceived as a student & someone possibly looking for an out for loans, job security, etc...does not seem "professional" to do so right out of the gates. Sure, be friends & keep as a contact/someone who can give advice
Just my opinion, "but at the end of the day, you can do whatever the ****, you want"

* I think @idiot needs to chime in on this issue

Last edited:
Assuming I wasn't already married, if some almost graduated student asked me out, I would assume they were looking for someone to help them pay off their loans. I would tell them uh, I'm kinda of dating someone else right now. Sorry, but NO!
Co-sign
I had another student P4 ask me out when I was a P3. I assumed his intentions were to just get someone financially stable so I said no

Just send your nudes and if he sends back you know he's interested.

Reactions: 6 users
What the hell is everyone talking about?! If a P1(she’s only on her IPPE) asked me out and if I find her attractive, I’d be so down! JESUS!!! Bunch of... never mind...

Reactions: 5 users
I finished a rotation with a site today, it was an IPPE [1 week] and he wasn't my preceptor- he's just a pharmacist who worked there but I shadowed him for a little bit. How would I go about asking him out on a date and would it be ok?

If you don't have any other professional relationship with the person otherwise since the rotation is over (as in this person's not faculty or you're not planning on having him as a preceptor again), I don't see a problem with it. With those exceptions though, it's situational and complicated. I'd usually say for people to wait. If this person is faculty, university bylaws can be rather punitive from a risk management perspective. Sometimes that's worth the risk, I've seen too many careers shot down for sex to think that the old days still prevail.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

And that's when you know you're too old :), when $ > 0:. Seriously though, the materialism aspect is pretty chilling. I have actually seen people of both genders marry for a meal ticket. It's a pretty tragic fate usually for the both of them.

Worry about your loans first. It’s what everyone does here lol
She could get him to help her with her loans though. She dates him, he pays off some of her loans every month.

What the hell is everyone talking about?! If a P1(she’s only on her IPPE) asked me out and if I find her attractive, I’d be so down! JESUS!!! Bunch of... never mind...
As someone who is currently an "incel" and having trouble finding a wife/gf I am really jealous of the preceptor in the above situation. Hopefully when i'm a pharmacist young girls will contact me to go on dates.

As someone who is currently an "incel" and having trouble finding a wife/gf I am really jealous of the preceptor in the above situation. Hopefully when i'm a pharmacist young girls will contact me to go on dates.

Not too hard when they learn about your occupation and financial status.

I had to google “incel.”

But honestly, your interests might be better served if you used a more appropriate-sounding term than “young girls” when referring to your dating life.

Not too hard when they learn about your occupation and financial status.

Hahahaha, tell that to the MDs over in The Lounge that are just piles of angst.

Reactions: 2 users
From the preceptor's side, I wouldn't date any students until they graduate.

Usually girls asking guys out doesn’t result in a favorable outcome.

Could be a guy asking another guy out. Happy Pride!

I have been asked out by working pharmacists and I am a pharmacy student so yeah there are still pharmcists who doesn’t think that you (student) wants to be with them because you need help with your loans or need contacts.

I wouldn’t date or ask guy preceptor or anyone I am professionally related. But then I only date non pharmacist.

Last edited:
She could get him to help her with her loans though. She dates him, he pays off some of her loans every month.
when did dating someone means help paying their loans?? I thought that came in after you were married or engaged..

when did dating someone means help paying their loans?? I thought that came in after you were married or engaged..

Since Seeking Arrangement became kind of well-known. Although, that's actually been happening since long before that. There were about four in my class (one who is probably one of your faculty still) who paid for their pharmacy education through their unmarried boyfriends.

I know a lot of females won't date anyone one making less than them. So, dating a fellow pharmacist is a safe, easy choice.

Many women seek higher status (money, confidence, tall, masculinity, dominance) in men. Many men seek reproductive values (beauty, flawless skin, young) in women. It's a fact of life.

Since Seeking Arrangement became kind of well-known. Although, that's actually been happening since long before that. There were about four in my class (one who is probably one of your faculty still) who paid for their pharmacy education through their unmarried boyfriends.

I wonder who that faculty is? But good for them!

You know that "incel" **** is nonsense right?

Reactions: 6 users
I don't know how other guys do it, but the few girls that ask me out, I said no.

If I'm interested, I would make the move even if I get turn down. I'm sure if your preceptor is interested, he would gotten to know your relationship status and make the move.

LOL.

This looks like it's gong to be a top Sparda Meme ™

It's really amazing how so it's so natural to some people and yet so out of reach for others. I've no problem seeing @Sparda having a good time with someone (maybe even someone different on a daily basis) because he's just so *(#$(ing entertaining and vivacious. I don't know, @Modest_anteater, I suppose picking up The Game or something might help (and contrary to popular belief, the book is more about not acting like a loser even if you are one goes a long way). You don't have to stay an incel.

this has to be the most interesting topic i've encountered on this forum... haha

my 2 cents is that... i've dated a professor before. lol she wasn't from my school but this was once i became a pharmacist and she was a professor at another pharm school. she said pharm students asked her out all the time but she felt uncomfortable since she didn't want to cross any lines or felt it was unprofessional of her to do so. she told me about another professor who dated a student in secret but things got weird... haha

It's really amazing how so it's so natural to some people and yet so out of reach for others. I've no problem seeing @Sparda having a good time with someone (maybe even someone different on a daily basis) because he's just so *(#$(ing entertaining and vivacious. I don't know, @Modest_anteater, I suppose picking up The Game or something might help (and contrary to popular belief, the book is more about not acting like a loser even if you are one goes a long way). You don't have to stay an incel.

My problems are in maintaining a long term relationship. No problem finding short term partners, god I love NYC. When Pokemon Go was the craze, I'd literally just walk around Central Park playing the game, see women who were playing the game and just start talking to them, get their numbers, go out, etc.

My problems are in maintaining a long term relationship. No problem finding short term partners, god I love NYC. When Pokemon Go was the craze, I'd literally just walk around Central Park playing the game, see women who were playing the game and just start talking to them, get their numbers, go out, etc.
The whole city is one sweaty ****-fest.

My wife can't leave me alone for 5 minutes at Whole Foods or the 30-somethings start circling

i've met several girls in the past and when i tell them on the dates that i am in the pharmacy field they don't automatically light up or become more interested, they just treat it as normal conversation. this would probably be the case if you were a doctor a dentist. so my conclusion is that simply having a good profession doesn't mean anything. the girls want to know if you're actually willing to invest in them, that's what they care about, not your title

i've met several girls in the past and when i tell them on the dates that i am in the pharmacy field they don't automatically light up or become more interested, they just treat it as normal conversation. this would probably be the case if you were a doctor a dentist. so my conclusion is that simply having a good profession doesn't mean anything. the girls want to know if you're actually willing to invest in them, that's what they care about, not your title

I don't think OP is asking about that... she's asking student-professor relationship. Like how Ross from Friends dated his student... haha

Also, if you're a hot pharmacist/doctor/dentist, i'm sure girls will be much more interested in you than if you were a not-hot pharmacist/doctor/dentist or a hot not-pharmacist/dentist/doctor... but then what do i know haha

V I R T U O U S

Yeah, the only people who believe this are nerds with no confidence in themselves as an individual outside of what they do/own/have.

V I R T U O U S

Yeah, the only people who believe this are nerds with no confidence in themselves as an individual outside of what they do/own/have.

My brother is an example of this. He is one of the most socially awkward people I know. He's crazy into video games and cosplay. When he goes to these conventions though, he all of a sudden becomes super confident and ends up getting a lot of action from cosplay girls.

Ask him to talk to a non-nerd girl though and he is helpless, he doesn't know what to talk about other than video games or cosplay.

From the preceptor's side, I wouldn't date any students until they graduate.

Not in this case unless the account is hijacked or this person is a troll. A reminder that she has a hobby on the side which if this person was homosexual, the sorts of concerns with that hobby would not be the same.

I detect a lot of nerds with no dating life in this thread lol

I detect a lot of nerds with no dating life in this thread lol

well this IS a medical/pharmacy/dental forum lol i'm sure there are lots of nerds on it... such as myself. although, my dating life has been prolific lol

I have girls asked me out or gave me obvious hints.

To all the girls.....If you want to end up with the right guy, you need to be the one who is selecting and pursuing. If you wait for a guy to select you, then you are at a major disadvantage. You might end up with the right guy or you might end up “settling”. Don’t wait to be selected. Be the one who is selecting.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have girls asked me out or gave me obvious hints.

To all the girls.....If you want to end up with the right guy, you need to be the one who is selecting and pursuing. If you wait for a guy to select you, then you are at a major disadvantage. You might end up with the right guy or you might end up “settling”. Don’t wait to be selected. Be the one who is selecting.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hmm... i don't know what kind of girls you've dated but... girls do do the selecting lol if you think otherwise, you have been fooled my friend. We, as men, really don't have a choice unless you look like one of the Chris's from the Avengers movies. lol

Someone already mentioned it. It's a fact of civilized, modern life. Women seek men with power. Power can be in the form of new money/ old money, status, etc. Secondary things are height, confidence, feelings of security (whether it's brawn, perhaps military background or law enforcement) etc. Men want a woman with large breasts, pretty face and supple skin. The younger they are, the better. That means they can bear children for a longer time and feed them appropriately. The legacy continues...

well this IS a medical/pharmacy/dental forum lol i'm sure there are lots of nerds on it... such as myself. although, my dating life has been prolific lol

HA NERDSSSSS! lol jk

seriously everyone is getting philosophical acting like they are going to get married or something

I don't think OP is asking about that... she's asking student-professor relationship. Like how Ross from Friends dated his student... haha

Also, if you're a hot pharmacist/doctor/dentist, i'm sure girls will be much more interested in you than if you were a not-hot pharmacist/doctor/dentist or a hot not-pharmacist/dentist/doctor... but then what do i know haha
well generally the way it works is that if you're hot then you automatically receive interest regardless of your job. that's why you hear stories of good looking dudes who are still in college with no income that are successfully getting plenty of girls. when you're among the average population of men in terms of looks (bottom 80% of men) then you go through the standard value system in terms of dating which is being a provider, offering security, money, success, etc. which is why when you're older you have more bargaining power and should in theory be more successful in dating, granted that you built your life in a successful way and didn't turn out to be a total loser slob. this is a concept called SMV or sexual market value. as a young male in your 20s, your value to women is chit if you're in the bottom 80% of looks. however, a young female in her 20s has incredible SMV, it's practically through the roof because around this age girls will look their hottest and obviously men want this. for this reason, i think it would be wise for girls in their 20s to lock down a stable guy quickly, because honestly it will just become harder post 30 years old. as a man though, you can still be balling it up throughout your 30s and decide to settle down around then if you want. does it really matter? not really, as long as you still have your success, money, and baller status, your influx of women will not decline at all. just don't be an out of shape piece of chit