I want to turn down harvard....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swifteagle43

Lover- not a fighter
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If i got into harvard I think I will still turn it down cause what a ****ty life to have....if you think getting into the next big school is the big thing then you are sorely mistaken....i have been told that the school you go to doesn't matter only that you graduate and get a residency.....:)

Members don't see this ad.

If the school that you go to doesn't matter, why do you single out Harvard? ;)

Dr. Chiquita said:
If the school that you go to doesn't matter, why do you single out Harvard? ;)

I meant any school in general that was all super duper

Members don't see this ad :)
When you get in, you'll have the chance.

I don't know why you think life is any more or less ****ty according to the rank of the school. I have friends at Harvard Med, and they are seriously coddled. I have friends at lower-tier schools that are worked to the bone. Your opinions are uninformed and you are posting nonsensically.

have you ever seen that sketch on the dave chapelle show where they are at the haters' ball? i think you should be nominated for the hater of the year award. keep on hatin, hater. hate on!

I don't believe you, unless it's for a school that is on par w/ harvard. Guess we will have to wait and see, keep us informed. :rolleyes:

i don't know about that. i wouldnt turn down yale, it seems pretty laid-back there. my friend's doing her residency there and she says she's never seen a happier bunch of med students. And you still get to say you go to Yale! of course, i'm probably not going to get in with my GPA, but i did study extra hard for the MCAT's, "just in case".

I wonder if its wrong to be horsewhipping myself so that i can kick back in med school and still look super duper smart.

captbadass said:
have you ever seen that sketch on the dave chapelle show where they are at the haters' ball? i think you should be nominated for the hater of the year award. keep on hatin, hater. hate on!
i just want to quote you for quoting that show

DieselPetrolGrl said:
i just want to quote you for quoting that show

I just finished watching Dodge Ball. I told everyone in the room that the pirate guy reminds me of DieselPetrolGrl.

swimerpaco said:
I just finished watching Dodge Ball. I told everyone in the room that the pirate guy reminds me of DieselPetrolGrl.
I watched Dodgeball too! Wasn't that the funniest!?! Poor Steve.

swifteagle43 said:
If i got into harvard I think I will still turn it down cause what a ****ty life to have....if you think getting into the next big school is the big thing then you are sorely mistaken....i have been told that the school you go to doesn't matter only that you graduate and get a residency.....:)
You do that...

My buddy turned them down a while back b/c he felt that admissions were playing games trying to keep the turned down acceptance ratio low. (ie. Are we really your top choice and will you really come if we let you in otherwise we'll waitlist you) After some back and forth he finally said yes you're my #1, and right away they sent him an admission, but he turned it down b/c he was sick of all the games he felt were going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have a friend who turned it down after being number 3 on their waitlist.

Personally, I don't understand how people can say things like, "If I get in, it'll be hard to turn Harvard down....cause it's number 1." Why not just go where you'll be happiest? If that's Harvard, fine. But if not, just turn it down. It's just a school, after all.

If I get in come March, I'm not planning to attend. I just want to see if I can get accepted. Besides, at my interview it didn't seem that friendly.

did u steal firebodys icon (purple spanky hippo)?

A SDNer from last year turned Harvard and UCSF down for Stanford. He went to my alma mater.

swifteagle43 said:

You want to turn down Harvard? Then go ahead and do it. I'm not sure what you're gaining by telling everyone about it. As they say, vanity is an atavism.

stinkycheese said:
I don't know why you think life is any more or less ****ty according to the rank of the school. I have friends at Harvard Med, and they are seriously coddled. I have friends at lower-tier schools that are worked to the bone. Your opinions are uninformed and you are posting nonsensically.

:thumbup:

Yep... My friends at top schools are definitely studying their butts off, but they're also very happy and suprisingly relaxed... meanwhile my friends at "lower tier" schools are very stressed...

To the OP.. Certainly this may be an isolated example from which we can't make any generalizations, but the point of the matter is that it's medical school, and you're going to have to work very hard anywhere you go.. Actually you're going to have to work hard the rest of your life in this profession, so get used to it... Your primary aim should be to learn as much as you can, and if you can do that in an environment that fits with your personality and likes, then awesome -- may that be at a top school or a lower tier school...

Fermata said:
Dude.

What about Yale?

No grades = sch-weet.

Not to mention optional exams only. Must be tough to stay focused there.

Ambs said:
:thumbup:

Yep... My friends at top schools are definitely studying their butts off, but they're also very happy and suprisingly relaxed... meanwhile my friends at "lower tier" schools are very stressed...

i doubt the whole stressed out vs. happy and relaxed deal is due to the school and more becuase those top schools enroll smarter people that can handle the workload easier than the students at the lower tier schools. sure there are still differences in the way things are taught, but everybody's still learning the same thing.

seth03 said:
i doubt the whole stressed out vs. happy and relaxed deal is due to the school and more becuase those top schools enroll smarter people that can handle the workload easier than the students at the lower tier schools. sure there are still differences in the way things are taught, but everybody's still learning the same thing.

Not necessarily true... My friends who go to lower tier schools actually got into top schools but picked state schools based on much lower cost and proximity to home... And yes, everyone is learning the same thing, but pass/fail at Harvard is less stressful for my best friend as opposed to letter grading for another one of my friends at our bottom tier state school... and by the way, I consider both of them equally brilliant..