I was blessed by a silent program coordinator post-match, and I have many questions:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knightmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, one of my program's deadlines for documents is approaching within 1 week, and my program coordinator has not responded to a single email I sent her. I don't want to start there by having to cc the program director with every email I send her, so instead I'm hoping you guys can help:

1) My program's website says I need to apply for a "National Provider Identifier Number" (NPI), so I googled it and there are two types: Individual, and Healthcare Provider Organization.... Which one should I apply to?
https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov/NPPES/StaticForward.do?forward=static.npistart

2) The document checklist includes a "Temporary Licensure Application (if applicable)".... so is it applicable? I'll be training in Illinois if that makes any difference.

3) I'm supposed to send her a signed letter of offer in 1 week. But I haven't received it yet. Is that normal?

4) These documents, do I mail them or scan and email them?

5) For FMGs on J1 visas.... have your programs initiated your application on ECFMG's EVnet yet? ECFMG says each medical school has a liaison that initiates J1 applications.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

#1 NPI: yes, apply for individual.
Haven't received my packet yet so can't help you on the rest.

#1: individual NPI.
#2: you need a temporary (i.e. training) license in IL to be a new intern/junior resident there. If you already qualify for a permanent license (in IL, this means you have passed step 3 and have completed 2 PGY years), you can apply for that instead.
#3: If you haven't received a letter to sign, you can't send it back. Nor can any of your co-residents, so I wouldn't stress too much about this one. This is your PC's issue . This is less time-sensitive than the licensing paperwork, which can take a while (understatement) to process.
#4: license app needs to be mailed....but your program may have to fill out parts to confirm you have a trainee position, or they may send everyone's into the state as a big batch so that the licenses get sent directly to the program (so they can confirm you have your license before practicing....they WILL need a copy of your license on file). This can also be an issue if the license is mailed out last-minute and you are moving between now and July 1---where will it be sent to? You need to find out how your program wants you to handle this.
NPI is an online app.
Letter of offer---depends on what your program prefers but prob can be either snail-mailed, faxed or scanned back to them.
#5: ??? I have no idea.

Reactions: 1 users
#1: individual NPI.
#2: you need a temporary (i.e. training) license in IL to be a new intern/junior resident there. If you already qualify for a permanent license (in IL, this means you have passed step 3 and have completed 2 PGY years), you can apply for that instead.
#3: If you haven't received a letter to sign, you can't send it back. Nor can any of your co-residents, so I wouldn't stress too much about this one. This is your PC's issue . This is less time-sensitive than the licensing paperwork, which can take a while (understatement) to process.
#4: license app needs to be mailed....but your program may have to fill out parts to confirm you have a trainee position, or they may send everyone's into the state as a big batch so that the licenses get sent directly to the program (so they can confirm you have your license before practicing....they WILL need a copy of your license on file). This can also be an issue if the license is mailed out last-minute and you are moving between now and July 1---where will it be sent to? You need to find out how your program wants you to handle this.
NPI is an online app.
Letter of offer---depends on what your program prefers but prob can be either snail-mailed, faxed or scanned back to them.
#5: ??? I have no idea.
THANKS! Found the 30-page application https://www.idfpr.com/Renewals/Apply/forms/md-t.pdf

FYI, get your Illinois app in asap. They are nortoriously slow and even at this point could delay your starting.
So just to confirm, I can't scan and email my filled app to my program, I actually need to have it mailed to my program so they can fill the last page and send it.

2) The Temporary License thing can be a little tricky, follow the instructions in the first 10 or so pages of that file section by section. You will need undergraduate and medical school transcripts, and that may take a while, so request them soon. Also there are rules about CME training which you may have to complete.
4) Mail/FedEx/UPS them with delivery confirmation/signature required. Make a copy before you do. You will need a check or money order to pay the application fee so you have to mail them something anyways.

I figured I would just add my question to this thread instead of creating a new one....

Is it odd to not hear ANYTHING from my program at this point. All of my fellow classmates have been doing a lot paperwork for their respective programs and I'm feeling very anxious that time is ticking and I've heard nothing, especially b/c I want to get in contact with my future intern class regarding housing etc. Should I contact the coordinator about this? Thanks!

sure, write the PC. There's literally nothing to lose.

To the OP: I highly recmmend you pick up the phone and call your PC. Be happy, don't complain. You're worried that somehow your email is being lost.

To the OP: I highly recmmend you pick up the phone and call your PC. Be happy, don't complain. You're worried that somehow your email is being lost.

This. You're family now, you won't bother anyone by calling if you maintain a pleasant attitude on the phone. There's a good chance you're not getting anything because they have the wrong email and the wrong address for you.

Does everyone need an individual NPI? Haven't heard anything about that in my pile of paperwork. I'm not in IL, FWIW.

For the NPI business address should we put our hospital address or a home mailing address?

For the NPI business address should we put our hospital address or a home mailing address?
Hospital/program. Otherwise, your home address and phone number will be all over the internet when someone looks you up. And then even if you later change it, the many sites that list you and your NPI number will take forever to get your personal information off their sites.