I was looking at the pre-DO forum and...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yogiberra

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
was wondering: does anyone really go into college and say I'm pre-DO? Honestly, everyone starts out pre-allo and ends up pre-DO after sub-par MCAT scores and GPA. Who has meet someone who went into school and said "I'm purposefully going to go for average grades so I can get into DO school" (hey, dont get mad, its the truth allo schools are much more competitive, and have higher marticulating scores than DO students).

Everyone that I've spoken with treats DO and the Carribean as a fall back so it amuses me to see the pre-osteopathic forum, like people actual plan to F-uck up.

No offense did anyone on this site actually go into college thinking I want to be a DO or after a couple of hard courses and below average MCATs your like eh, "Well, I always wanted to be DO", because people who say that are just lying to themselves.

I seriously want to know this, because I've meet a lot of DOs and DO students that never planned on going to DO school they just went into it because their stats didn't meet the requirments to allo schools.

But if you really always wanted to become a DO, good for you, at least your being honest with yourself.

Note: I am sorry if an DO students are offended by this, the only reason I bring this up is because I've seen a trend of DOs and Do students being pre-allo and using the Do as a fall back rather than a goal to reach for.

Members don't see this ad.

:rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong with going the D.O. route, especially if you're into primary care. Why does it matter what people's original plans were? People change their minds about their careers all the time, for a variety of reasons, only one of which is "subpar GPA/MCAT". And why do you care, anyways? I take it you've already been accepted to an allopathic medical school and are trying to show us how good you are?

What a crock. Most everyone I know say they're pre-med, as in they'd like to one day have a career in medicine. If you've been announcing to the world that you're actually "pre-allopathic" or "pre-MD", then aren't you just the quirkiest little thing.

I think most of us grew up saying "I wanna be a doctor" when I grow up. Last time I checked, either a DO or MD degree would fulfill that requirement. And if you took a look at the US News and World Report ranking of medical schools (providing primary care), you might be shocked to find several osteopathic schools ranked in the top 50 nationally... ahead of the majority of alleopathic schools.

But not you... apparently you grew up saying, "I wanna be a pretentious prick when I grow up". Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though I'm feeding the troll, I just had to chime in here. I had a close friend in high school who went to college saying she wanted to be a DO. She met a DO she admired quite a bit, and liked the osteopathic philosophy. Regretfully I have lost touch with her, so I don't know where she is now. But yes, plenty of people want to be DOs.

yogiberra said:
Does anyone really go into college and say I'm pre-DO? Honestly, everyone starts out pre-allo and ends up pre-DO after sub-par MCAT scores and GPA. Who has meet someone who went into school and said "I'm purposefully going to go for average grades so I can get into DO school" (hey, dont get mad, its the truth allo schools are much more competitive, and have higher marticulating scores than DO students).

Everyone that I've spoken with treats DO and the Carribean as a fall back so it amuses me to see the pre-osteopathic forum, like people actual plan to F-uck up.

No offense did anyone on this site actually go into college thinking I want to be a DO or after a couple of hard courses and below average MCATs your like eh, "Well, I always wanted to be DO", because people who say that are just lying to themselves.

I seriously want to know this, because I've meet a lot of DOs and DO students that never planned on going to DO school they just went into it because their stats didn't meet the requirments to allo schools.

But if you really always wanted to become a DO, good for you, at least your being honest with yourself.

Note: I am sorry if an DO students are offended by this, the only reason I bring this up is because I've seen a trend of DOs and Do students being pre-allo and using the Do as a fall back rather than a goal to reach for.

If you "seriously want to know" the answer to this, I suggest you ask it on the pre-osteo board.

yogiberra said:
was wondering: does anyone really go into college and say I'm pre-DO? Honestly, everyone starts out pre-allo and ends up pre-DO after sub-par MCAT scores and GPA. Who has meet someone who went into school and said "I'm purposefully going to go for average grades so I can get into DO school" (hey, dont get mad, its the truth allo schools are much more competitive, and have higher marticulating scores than DO students).

Wow, you're pretty hung up on the whole DO thing.............

getunconcsious said:
And why do you care, anyways? I take it you've already been accepted to an allopathic medical school and are trying to show us how good you are?
Nah, he's just trying to stir $hit up. Look at his previous posts, he's only starting to "learn" about the application process.

One of my good friends is a biochemistry major at a competitive university with a 3.8 or so GPA; ridiculously high for someone in a difficult major. She also scored a 35 on her MCAT and is only applying to DO schools. Her family doctor was a DO and she just loves him. She also really wants to live in a city that has a DO school and no MD school. She really just loves the idea of being a DO and having that extra tool.

Now, do I think she is in the minority? For sure. Would I say 90% of people do go the DO route for thereasons the OP mentioned? Maybe. But honestly, people are dumb at age 21 or 22 and they often have dumb mentalities; for example the whole stigma against DOs which is hugely, hugely a premed thing. Once people get there I'm sure 90% of students are happy with their choice because why the heck wouldn't they be; they're doing the exact same thing they'd be doing at an MD school to get to the exact same place. I don't deny that there are indeed a minority of really disgruntled DO students.

For me, I'm applying both ways this summer. If the only acceptance I got was to a DO school I'd go, and I'd be happy and I'd be a doctor. If I had both DO and MD I'd probably have a very tough time choosing DO and I hate myself for that because I could live in a much nicer city where I want to end up (Phoenix) if I chose DO (assuming I got into AZCOM). The bottom line for me is though that with a 3.5/30 DO schools give me the confidence that I'll probably be going SOMEWHERE next year and that takes a huge amount of pressure off of me and makes me so happy.

yogiberra said:

Yes, the reason people go DO is because they can't make it into MD school or make it into such low ranking MD school that DO seems tempting. I do agreed that DO is subpar to MD since people who matriculate into MD school are just so more qualified.

crys20 said:
One of my good friends is a biochemistry major at a competitive university with a 3.8 or so GPA; ridiculously high for someone in a difficult major. She also scored a 35 on her MCAT and is only applying to DO schools. Her family doctor was a DO and she just loves him. She also really wants to live in a city that has a DO school and no MD school. She really just loves the idea of being a DO and having that extra tool.

Now, do I think she is in the minority? For sure. Would I say 90% of people do go the DO route for thereasons the OP mentioned? Maybe. But honestly, people are dumb at age 21 or 22 and they often have dumb mentalities; for example the whole stigma against DOs which is hugely, hugely a premed thing. Once people get there I'm sure 90% of students are happy with their choice because why the heck wouldn't they be; they're doing the exact same thing they'd be doing at an MD school to get to the exact same place. I don't deny that there are indeed a minority of really disgruntled DO students.

For me, I'm applying both ways this summer. If the only acceptance I got was to a DO school I'd go, and I'd be happy and I'd be a doctor. If I had both DO and MD I'd probably have a very tough time choosing DO and I hate myself for that because I could live in a much nicer city where I want to end up (Phoenix) if I chose DO (assuming I got into AZCOM). The bottom line for me is though that with a 3.5/30 DO schools give me the confidence that I'll probably be going SOMEWHERE next year and that takes a huge amount of pressure off of me and makes me so happy.

Now, you see this is a mature and honest response, unlike heech who most likely was the type of person I described in my OP, pre-allo, then f-uped then fallin back on Do, not because he really wants to because he has no choice.

Yes, I actually do know someone who is pre-DO. He started out as interested in physical therapy, but then became completely fascinated by OMT, and after realizing how much more money he could make as a doc, he's taking the pre-reqs for med school.

Some people are just really into that holistic, hands on approach.

sounds like we've got some experts on qualifications to enter physician training on our hands......how did you get so qualified to make judgements about qualifications?

Also, did you talk to every single person who has ever applied to DO schools? You are just so knowledgable.

Law2Doc said:
If you "seriously want to know" the answer to this, I suggest you ask it on the pre-osteo board.

Beautiful!
*sprays troll-b-gone*

Future D.O. who started as "pre-med" and then discovered osteopathic medicine, educated himself, and realized why so many pre-meds like the OP are such pricks. (no offense to the nice "pre-MDs" on the board)

i actually started out as a pre-DO. I wanted to go DO from the beginning, but I also applied to some MD schools. MSUCHM was just too awesome to pass up. So, I started out pre-DO and actually ended up going MD. I know of at least one other person on SDN that did something similar. I will definatly be doing some CE in OMM someday.

yogiberra said:

Actually I've had pretty descent scores up till now (30Q mcat, 3.7 gpa science and non) and I've always entertained the DO route regardless of what my grades were at a particular time. My primary reason is OMT, as well as the experience I've had shadowing DO's. That's what keeps DO school in contention for me, but I'm not necessarily saying I will attend one. Btw way to troll.

guys the op makes several valid points. you can't deny the fact that many undergrad students start out as premeds and rely on the do and carribean paths as backups. i don't see anything "trollish" about his post. although there are several among you who probably are interested in the do route, i'd say that most people don't want to become d.o..

and several of you are well qualified pre-dos who could go to med school if they wanted, however the average gpa and mcat scores are like 3.3-3.5 and 25ish respectivelly for the do route.

Law2Doc said:

Because if I asked them they would most likely start bitching and whining because they are going to be DOs rather than MDs. DOs an pre-DOs are really sensitive when you mention MD or pre-allo around them its like talking about a death in the family.

When talking to DOs its like talking to drunks who claimed that they could have made it to the pros but ended up only teaching P.E. in highschool.

A guy at my church was pre-allo all he did was talk about how MD was the way to go how he was gonna be a doc, but then he failed and decided to go the DO route, now whenever you try to talk about allo medicine or how he used to love it, hes like

"Nah man, DOs are really good at primary care"

I'm like what else?

"Why you being an ass?"

So you see pre-DOs are really sensitive having lost their dreams of being an allopathic doctor.

But to the ones who went straight off into the DO world (God knows why) good for you ------->Yogi pats Pre-DO student on head as if they were a dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.