I will be "shadowing" an ENT soon and would like some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drivesmecraazee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I just talked with an ENT that will let me shadow him, even in the OR and I would like to learn all that I can from this experience, my only question is: What should I study or read to make this oportunity the most productive for me? Which kind of knowledges should I have to learn the most?
Currently Im finishing a semester, my classes are Advanced Anatomy, Histology and Embriology, so I guess my knowledges are kind of limited and I couldn't understand ANY book you recomend, so consider this when you make your sugestion.
I a very thrilled of doing this.
Your answers are welcome and will be thanked.

Members don't see this ad.

I would try and figure out exactly what type of surgeries you'll be seeing. Then, if you have access to the medical records it would be nice to have some idea why the patient is having the procedure. Then, take a brief look at what the procedure entails and the relevant anatomy. No one expects you to know a ton about anything really. But, having the information I noted above will hopefully make the experience more meaningful. Have fun as this should be a good chance to get your feet wet with the OR in general and ENT specifically.

All of the above suggestions are great. I've heard it said that anatomy is the basic science of surgery. I'd recommend "Handbook of Head and Neck Imaging" by Harnsberger -- it will have all the basics in a rapidly absorbable format. Read it BEFORE the case and you'll be amazed how much more you get out of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree. As a resident and now an attending, the first thing I'll quiz a student on is the anatomy. Whether in clinic or in the OR. Next I'll go to the path, but usually the basics. If they know that, then I get in depth. The more you know, the more I review. I don't spoonfeed, but I love the Socratic method of teaching.

I recommend ENT Secrets to med students for the generic overview. KJ Lee for the gunners or first years. eMedicine.com for backing up the specific pathologies.

If you review the ENT Secrets book, know the anatomy cold, and do a bit extra on eMedicine, you'll be light years ahead of most students.

As a resident I was always amazed by the students who acted like gunners on work ethic, but never seemed to read a book or realize they should read about a patient's surgery before they showed up in the OR.

Best question from a subI ever, said after he asked me if he could try some drilling in the mastoid, "So what are we doing this guy for anyway?" I didn't allow him back in the OR with me again--made him hang out with the R-2's the rest of his rotation.

Same guy, a week earlier had already pissed me off. My R2 is putting in tubes on a kid, I'm doing the paperwork to help out because a case cancelled. SubI says, "I just don't get it. 1/2 of ENT stuff should be done by family practice. Tubes should be beneath us."

So I say, "Looks easy."

Him, "Yep."

Me, "Why don't you put in the one on the Right."

Him, "Sure, no problem."

He shook so bad I thought he'd shred the entire TM. After attempting 3 times to get the tube in after making 2 myringotomies (the first a puncture just ant sup to the umbo), he says "Man, I worked out too much last night. Can't do this with all the shaking."

My R-2 finished it up.

Don't be that guy.

Thanks for your advices.
Hope I don't have to live those embarrassing moments...:oops:...I think I'll be fine.

So I say, "Looks easy."

Him, "Yep."

Me, "Why don't you put in the one on the Right."

Him, "Sure, no problem."

Funny, almost everybody, I think, at first underestimates the tubes. I have the same discussion with some of the doc from the anesthetics every other week when they complain we'll take to long fro something that simple.

I agree as far as it goes with anatomy, although I rarely question my stundents on it. I rather ask about the indications for the surgery procedure and what complains usually lead to an admission and what the risks of the procedure are. I don't go into detail and most of it should be common sense.

You guys are freaking me out! I am already paranoid about having the dexterity required to work in the famed "small, deep holes", and I haven't even done my SubI yet! :scared:

Everyone's a bit freaked out about it the first time and you're not supposed to be good. Just don't be a tool, like Throat said.

Humility will take you a long way in surgery. People generally only fault you and yell at your ineptitudes when they think your attitude needs a realignment. Be humble, work hard, and be a team player and everything else will fall into place.

Hey guys! I forgot to tell you about my experience shadowing and ENT, this is why Im posting, and becasue I would like to thank you all for you advice. So far I've been in three surgeries with this doctor: two tonsil and an endoscopic surgery of paranasal sinuses and septum.
Both were cool, but I'll have to say endoscopic surgery it's definetly not so good to look at for a starter, I barely understood the anatomy of what was on the screen, I got it but I had to take my time; on the other hand, tonsils was a great thing to see, very "graphic", the procedure was easy to understand too since no high-tech gadgets are used (I guess that depends).

ear surgery...that must be sooo complex, I want to see that...:eek: