I would appreciate some opinions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ghettob1aster

Ninja
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is another "will I get in" thread.

I'm a finance major, bio minor, this will be my senior year. GPA 3.85, science 3.80 with all prereqs finished.

DAT:
PA 23
QR 18
RC 20
Bio 24
Gchem 24
Ochem 22
TS 23
AA 22

My extracurriculars, well, I don't have any organized extracurriculars. I play a lot of instruments on my own time. I'm starting with a volunteer group next week. I'm on a few scholarships right now. Those are probably the only appealing items I can put down.

20+ hours shadowing general dentistry and prosthedontics. The prosthedontist let me assist during procedures. I'll strive for MUCH more time by the end of this summer.

So that's my informal application. What do you all think my chances are?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a finance major, bio minor, this will be my senior year. GPA 3.85, science 3.80 with all prereqs finished.

DAT:
PA 23
QR 18
RC 20
Bio 24
Gchem 24
Ochem 22
TS 23
AA 22

My extracurriculars, well, I don't have any organized extracurriculars. I play a lot of instruments on my own time. I'm starting with a volunteer group next week. I'm on a few scholarships right now. Those are probably the only appealing items I can put down.

20+ hours shadowing general dentistry and prosthedontics. The prosthedontist let me assist during procedures. I'll strive for MUCH more time by the end of this summer.

Mate all I can say I wish I had ur GPA and DAT scores... what r u worrying about??? just volunteer a bit more, if u get the chance do some research do other than that IMO u r In

Also before I forget, any info on ur studying for the DAT, study time, ur opinions on each sections so on...
thanks mate

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are solid DAT/GPA scores. I don't know if you have any upper division bio's since bio was your minor, but try to squeeze in either anatomy, physiology, histo, or micro. Schools always like those upper level classes. Best of luck.

Those are solid DAT/GPA scores. I don't know if you have any upper division bio's since bio was your minor, but try to squeeze in either anatomy, physiology, histo, or micro. Schools always like those upper level classes. Best of luck.

Definitely agree with this.

With regard to your lack of ECs... not sure how adcoms will perceive this - your numbers are pretty solid, but then again, if you're not doing much outside of classes, it's not that difficult for anyone who is relatively intelligent to maintain a good GPA.

The applicant pool looks pretty damn competitive for this year, so it's tough to say whether or not having solid numbers is enough, or if adcoms truly want to see "well-rounded" individuals.

Definitely agree with this.

With regard to your lack of ECs... not sure how adcoms will perceive this - your numbers are pretty solid, but then again, if you're not doing much outside of classes, it's not that difficult for anyone who is relatively intelligent to maintain a good GPA.

The applicant pool looks pretty damn competitive for this year, so it's tough to say whether or not having solid numbers is enough, or if adcoms truly want to see "well-rounded" individuals.

Don't want you to get insecure as a result of my post - with your GPA and DAT score, you'll definitely get interviews at a good number of places. It all depends on how high you're aiming - if you're looking at one of the "top tier" schools (Harvard, Penn, Columbia, UCLA, etc.), it could be a toss up, if not, I think you're good to go with more shadowing/volunteering/ECs in the meantime.

Also before I forget, any info on ur studying for the DAT, study time, ur opinions on each sections so on...
thanks mate

Materials were kaplan blue book, destroyer, and mcmurray's ochem. Kaplan I only used for the bio and gchem, read through a few times and stressed physio I haven't had yet. Did all of the bio and ochem problems in destroyer 2 times. I looked up mechanisms in mcmurray when destroyer didn't provide enough information. This probably was around 60 hours of studying and took a little under 2 weeks with no job lined up at the time.

I don't really have anything to say about bio and gchem other than that kaplan and destroyer did a good job.

I feel that ochem was easier than it could have been, and if I missed a few they hurt my score more than they would have in other sections. If you had asked me right after I finished science whether I had a higher ochem or bio score, I would have gone with ochem without question.

Math is wicked quick. I was way too slow and didn't get to answer 5 questions. Go through that really fast, don't write things down that you don't have to.

Going on pubmed and reading lab reports would definitely help you prepare for the reading.

DAT:
PA 23
QR 18
RC 20
Bio 24
Gchem 24
Ochem 22
TS 23
AA 22

You look fine. Try to add a few more ECs just in case though.

I think you will be okay. Best of luck.