Would appreciate feedback on my timeline of my journey to dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supersandy17

Reaction score
Undergrad (2018-2021):
• Graduated a year early
• GPA: 3.1 sGPA: 2.9
• Was in a total of 10+ organizations
• Served as pre-dental society president & started my own cultural organization that I led for the 3 years I attended

Gap year 1 (2021-2022):
• Assisted/shadowed/volunteered
• Tried to study for DAT & did a no show
Gap year 2 (2022-2023):
• Currently in my second gap year now doing an online masters and assisting/shadowing/volunteering
• Current Masters GPA: 3.5, have two more classes left
Gap year 2 (2022-2-23): Studying for DAT & taking it in August (I’m scared & relearning all the sciences
🥲
)
• Currently have ~200 hrs shadowing & ~200 volunteering, and 900+ hrs assisting
• Solid personal statement!
• Strong rec letters
• Started a dental blog
Gap year 3 (2023-2024):
• Matriculation to dental school (interview prep/waiting period?)
• Planning to assist full time
—————————
Any advice you’d give me? What chances to I have? I think my DAT is going to be what makes or breaks my application? Hoping to stay in Texas for dental school!
🤠

Dentistry is truly my passion
🦷

Members don't see this ad.

Undergrad (2018-2021):
• Graduated a year early
• GPA: 3.1 sGPA: 2.9
• Was in a total of 10+ organizations
• Served as pre-dental society president & started my own cultural organization that I led for the 3 years I attended

Gap year 1 (2021-2022):
• Assisted/shadowed/volunteered
• Tried to study for DAT & did a no show
Gap year 2 (2022-2023):
• Currently in my second gap year now doing an online masters and assisting/shadowing/volunteering
• Current Masters GPA: 3.5, have two more classes left
Gap year 2 (2022-2-23): Studying for DAT & taking it in August (I’m scared & relearning all the sciences
🥲
)
• Currently have ~200 hrs shadowing & ~200 volunteering, and 900+ hrs assisting
• Solid personal statement!
• Strong rec letters
• Started a dental blog
Gap year 3 (2023-2024):
• Matriculation to dental school (interview prep/waiting period?)
• Planning to assist full time
—————————
Any advice you’d give me? What chances to I have? I think my DAT is going to be what makes or breaks my application? Hoping to stay in Texas for dental school!
🤠

Dentistry is truly my passion
🦷
are you URM?

Did I miss a DAT score? Oh, you are just planning... honestly we can't say until that part of the puzzle is in. I don't know if you have networked with the Texas dental schools or student clubs like ASDA or SNDA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Feel like August is pretty late to take your DAT and apply this cycle. You wouldn't even get your official score until late Aug, early September depending on when you take it. That plus a 2.9 sGPA makes me think you should hold off on this cycle and ensure you get your DAT score solidified before applying.

Reactions: 1 users