IA after acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Internationalinterest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got caught torrenting on school WiFi, just got the notice today. At my school they take away you internet until you meet with the disciplinary office and they make you write an essay about why torrenting is bad.

1) Obviously as an IA, I have to report this to schools that have accepted me?

Yes
2) What is the best way for me to contact and explain this to schools?

Read the letter of admission. There might be some information there about how to report. If not, send a letter saying, "I got caught torrenting on school WiFi, on [date]. As per school policy, I lost my internet privileges until I met with the disciplinary office which I did on [date]. I must write an essay about why torrenting is bad before my internet privileges will be restored."
3) How bad is this? Could my acceptance be rescinded?

Thanks guys. Im really freaked out right now, so don't give me too hard of a time.

Does the school want someone who does this in its community? The school could rescind your acceptance, or it might not do so.

Reactions: 3 users
I got caught torrenting on school WiFi, just got the notice today. At my school they take away you internet until you meet with the disciplinary office and they make you write an essay about why torrenting is bad.

Thanks guys. Im really freaked out right now, so don't give me too hard of a time.

This is when having multiple acceptances is helpful ;) Go to whatever school doesn't care about torrenting lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think the school will follow some rabbit hole about how what I did is theft? Because if I told schools I stole something, I don't see how they won't rescind....
While torrenting is technically theft, its not the same as if you had broken into someone's dorm and robbed them.

Public perception of torrenting is a bit more forgiving, however it depends on the strictness of the school.

Send your letters out explaining how it was a bad decision and take responsibility for your actions. I think you should be okay but it could go either way.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you'll be okay. Torrenting and mysterious USB drives containing dozens of medical school resources cane up at my tour days pretty often by the students and even admin

Noob question: What exactly is torrenting? I'm vaguely aware of what it is, but not totally sure.
Anyway, I think you might be fine OP.People have IA's for alcohol possession and other non academic things, and still make it to med school. I'm pretty sure that only IA's having to do with cheating are a deal breaker, but that's just my two cents.

I hope so. Right now I hate myself for torrenting, if this is why I don't get to go to med school after all the work I put in, I'm pretty sure I would hate myself the rest of my life.
That would be absolutely ridiculous. I'm pretty sure 95% of college students have done that at some point.

Reactions: 1 users
???????
Then why is it worthy of an IA? Is it just the same as streaming tv shows without paying for them???
No. Torrenting you get a file that you can save on your computer. Usually people just use it to play movies because then you don't have to wait through buffering/horrible quality if the wifi isn't good. And you can watch them offline.

Members don't see this ad :)
???????
Then why is it worthy of an IA? Is it just the same as streaming tv shows without paying for them???
Illegally downloading movies, video games, music and much more. It's theft because the companies aren't making money. My friend torrented numerous movies and his ISP provider sent him a letter in the mail, and reduced this Internet a great amount.

Last edited:
Noob question: What exactly is torrenting? I'm vaguely aware of what it is, but not totally sure.
Anyway, I think you might be fine OP.People have IA's for alcohol possession and other non academic things, and still make it to med school. I'm pretty sure that only IA's having to do with cheating are a deal breaker, but that's just my two cents.

Torrenting is a method of partial downloading that allows many people to download a single file without crashing the uploader's internet.

Normally, any one user will have a faster download speed than upload speed. Because of this, if multiple people want to download a file (such as a song or movie) the uploader must have a ridiculously large bandwith. Since this is not feasible, torrenting allows the burden to be spread among the downloaders, creating a "Swarm" wherein different parts of the file can be downloaded from multiple users, speeding download times.

For example:

-User A uploads a torrent file to a torrenting site

-Thousands of downloaders try to download the file.

-To stop User A's upload bandwith from being reached, a bitclient / torrent is used.

-The BitClients used by the downloaders will read the torrent file, which contains directions to the different parts of the real file. The torrent will tell the BitClient the locations and filenames of all the different pieces of the original file .The BitClients then automate the process and go out and download all the little pieces of the song from each location on the internet as marked by the torrent file.​

-This process speeds efficiency because it creates a "swarm". Every user that downloads a piece of the file will become part of the swarm, and will serve as a secondary location from which the BitClient can download that particular piece. Therefore, after a couple of cycles, the entire file can be downloaded from secondary locations (aka other downloaders and not User A). At this point, the file is essentially impossible to delete.​

-So from User A, the file may be broken into 10 pieces

- 10 different downloaders will each download a single piece

- The BitClients of the downloaders will then download their missing pieces from the other downloaders instead of User A.

This means that User A does not have to keep his computer online, and does not even have to host the file anymore, because copies of small pieces of the file are spread across the internet and hosted on all the (potentially millions) of computers of the "swarm"

Thus, the Torrent file is not an actual file, but moreso an internet map that will allow a user's automated BitClient to download a file quickly by taking small pieces of the file from thousands of different sources.

Torrenting itself is not illegal, it is simply a method of optimizing download speeds. However, it is often utilized to download copyrighted material, in which case it is technically piracy.

hope this helps.

*Edit*
I do not torrent, nor do I condone torrenting. I just like computers.

Seriously dude just buy spotify premium. Better quality, no jail time, no viruses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 users
Torrenting is a method of partial downloading that allows many people to download a single file without crashing the uploader's internet.

Normally, any one user will have a faster download speed than upload speed. Because of this, if multiple people want to download a file (such as a song or movie) the uploader must have a ridiculously large bandwith. Since this is not feasible, torrenting allows the burden to be spread among the downloaders, creating a "Swarm" wherein different parts of the file can be downloaded from multiple users, speeding download times.

For example:

-User A uploads a torrent file to a torrenting site

-Thousands of downloaders try to download the file.

-To stop User A's upload bandwith from being reached, a bitclient / torrent is used.

-The BitClients used by the downloaders will read the torrent file, which contains directions to the different parts of the real file. The torrent will tell the BitClient the locations and filenames of all the different pieces of the original file .The BitClients then automate the process and go out and download all the little pieces of the song from each location on the internet as marked by the torrent file.​

-This process speeds efficiency because it creates a "swarm". Every user that downloads a piece of the file will become part of the swarm, and will serve as a secondary location from which the BitClient can download that particular piece. Therefore, after a couple of cycles, the entire file can be downloaded from secondary locations (aka other downloaders and not User A). At this point, the file is essentially impossible to delete.​

-So from User A, the file may be broken into 10 pieces

- 10 different downloaders will each download a single piece

- The BitClients of the downloaders will then download their missing pieces from the other downloaders instead of User A.

This means that User A does not have to keep his computer online, and does not even have to host the file anymore, because copies of small pieces of the file are spread across the internet and hosted on all the (potentially millions) of computers of the "swarm"

Thus, the Torrent file is not an actual file, but moreso an internet map that will allow a user's automated BitClient to download a file quickly by taking small pieces of the file from thousands of different sources.

Torrenting itself is not illegal, it is simply a method of optimizing download speeds. However, it is often utilized to download copyrighted material, in which case it is technically piracy.

hope this helps.

*Edit*
I do not torrent, nor do I condone torrenting. I just like computers.

Seriously dude just buy spotify premium. Better quality, no jail time, no viruses.
I don't think jail time would be a possibility lol

I don't think jail time would be a possibility lol
depends what/how much you're downloading.

Jailtime is always a possibility if you get a judge that is on a crusade to end piracy. OP probably won't even get a fine from the University, nevermind the government.. But there are real consequences that can come from such things.

Either way, I still think the OP will be okay at at least 1 school.

971433E1-C0E1-4AFD-98F6-B3759708410F-7178-000006DB0B6295CB.jpeg

*meets with disciplinary officer to discuss the harms of illegally downloading music*

Reactions: 7 users
This sucks OP, but I would be really surprised if they were to react so strongly.

As long as I live I don't think I'll understand how file sharing isn't the same thing as a library.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I think you'll be okay. Torrenting and mysterious USB drives containing dozens of medical school resources cane up at my tour days pretty often by the students and even admin

My school legit tells you that torrenting/obtaining copyrighted materials illegally (aka, not purchasing them or using the library) is a professionalism violation and you will get in trouble for it. I'm sure it's a school by school basis, but OP did technically break the law... so idk.

With a .edu email you get it for $5 a month. Money so well spent.

My school legit tells you that torrenting/obtaining copyrighted materials illegally (aka, not purchasing them or using the library) is a professionalism violation and you will get in trouble for it. I'm sure it's a school by school basis, but OP did technically break the law... so idk.

With a .edu email you get it for $5 a month. Money so well spent.
Some people don't want to spend $5 a month :(

Wow wtf you get IA for torrenting first time? That's terrible, at my university students only get caught for torrenting if they continue seeding the downloads (and even then it's somewhat rare). If you are caught all that happens the first time is to say you deleted the files and promise not to do it again, 2nd time i think you get a meeting and third time they revoke your internet.

Wow wtf you get IA for torrenting first time? That's terrible, at my university students only get caught for torrenting if they continue seeding the downloads (and even then it's somewhat rare). If you are caught all that happens the first time is to say you deleted the files and promise not to do it again, 2nd time i think you get a meeting and third time they revoke your internet.

Some schools take it really seriously. I had to sign a contract IIRC when I started undergrad saying I wouldn't do it. I forget what consequences there were other than suspended internet privileges...

I don't know if UCLA has changed this this story was published but you 'll note, relevant to @Internationalinterest that:

"For international students, disciplinary actions from file sharing on their academic record may be reported to the U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement and can lead to deportation from the country...."

Downloading trouble

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know if UCLA has changed this this story was published but you 'll note, relevant to @Internationalinterest that:

"For international students, disciplinary actions from file sharing on their academic record may be reported to the U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement and can lead to deportation from the country...."

Downloading trouble

What a silly thing to be deported for. Nevertheless, a tale of caution for everyone to watch what they download.

My school has warnings about it all over the place. Apparently, it's a big deal to someone.

What were you downloading OP? There are legitimate things that can be downloaded through torrents like large open source files and repositories, or stuff outside of copyright.

2013: A federal appeals court upheld Tuesday a $675,000 fine issued against former Boston University student Joel Tenenbaum for illegally downloading and distributing music in violation of copyright law.

Court upholds $675,000 fine against former BU student for illegal music downloads - The Boston Globe

2012:
A Minnesota woman, one of the last people to be individually prosecuted in the US for illegal downloading and file-sharing, faces a $220,000 bill after a federal court ruling on Tuesday.

The federal appeals court reversed a district court's decision to reduce Jammie Thomas-Rasset's owed damages to $54,000 from $1.5m. Tuesday's ruling (pdf)sets the damages at $220,000 and forbids Thomas-Rasset from making sound recordings available for distribution.
Minnesota woman to pay $220,000 fine for 24 illegally downloaded songs

2013: A federal appeals court upheld Tuesday a $675,000 fine issued against former Boston University student Joel Tenenbaum for illegally downloading and distributing music in violation of copyright law.

Court upholds $675,000 fine against former BU student for illegal music downloads - The Boston Globe

2012:
A Minnesota woman, one of the last people to be individually prosecuted in the US for illegal downloading and file-sharing, faces a $220,000 bill after a federal court ruling on Tuesday.

The federal appeals court reversed a district court's decision to reduce Jammie Thomas-Rasset's owed damages to $54,000 from $1.5m. Tuesday's ruling (pdf)sets the damages at $220,000 and forbids Thomas-Rasset from making sound recordings available for distribution.
giphy.gif

Reactions: 9 users

2012:

Fake News

Is this really an IA??? I got caught torrenting a few times and all the school did was block my internet until I called the help desk.

2012:

The key word here is distributing. Get a VPN.
Also lmao to anyone who thinks piracy == theft. I will risk an IA before I send even a CENT to Pearson, Elsevier etc, and I will always suggest libgen, sci-hub, etc to anyone that asks.

Last edited:
True, but that doesn't mean a rescinded med school acceptance is int order. If this were a DUI, then yeah. But for what basically amounts to piracy? Don't you think its a bit harsh.
And what adults do when they don't want to spend $5/month is just use the free version or do without.

True, but that doesn't mean a rescinded med school acceptance is int order. If this were a DUI, then yeah. But for what basically amounts to piracy? Don't you think its a bit harsh.

I'm not an adcom, but it is still theft. You're still breaking the law, right?