1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

IAUPR

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by Steph_Opto, Mar 10, 2018.

1. optometrygirl29

5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    I won't engaging you anymore, this is absurd. I really could care less why you are so aggressive towards the school or a particular set of people I have to go be an adult now. My experience was not in any way perfect but I can say that It wont be perfect no matter where you go. When I needed the most support from the school they gave me support even if I was a pain sometimes. I was probably the close to the lowest student who made an extraordinary effort, had epic meltdowns and anxiety and they actually cared. Its disrespectful to your colleagues to make these false claims and I imagine hurtful to those you should be congratulating instead of raining on their parade.

#101 optometrygirl29, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. We should definitely not argue like this. Name calling each other is childish. Unfortunately the comments by Rubeyco2018 are true. I know who he/she is speaking about and the residency program that person is in. It really is unsettling because I have seen so much cheating here that grads have ended the program with close to a 4.0 and they did not earn it. I know students who did not fail a class and had well above 3.0 gpa's and took boards 5+ times and are yet to pass. All this prior to the exam changes that happened around 2 years ago. The worst part is they know we cheat. In some cases its promoted as in Motility when they upload a test on blackboard and the professor leaves the room for 10-15 min at a time and the entire class has their powerpoint up looking up all the answers. Again I am not going to post opinions I am stating the facts I was in this class last semester and watched it happen first hand. I have seen people get failed in proficiency because they are not liked by the clinicians and other students who are kissbutt passed right through. The way students are treated is so completely unfair and unjust to be failed based off a perception or passed based of how well you can play up to them. Also a professional program should be just that PROFESSIONAL there should be no bias. Tests should be readable. We had an exam a couple of days ago that had over 6 questions that the professor was changing while we were taking the exam because the questions were wrong. At this level of education there is no excuse for that. I never had errors in my high school and now at a doctorate level the exams are always filled with incorrect information. And when you do not pass a class by 1 tenth of a point they will fail you and make you pay double to retake in summer when during the regular semester so many points are lost due to illegible tests, bias, discrimination, mistakes etc. I sympathize with the people who are here expressing themselves. You have no idea how it feels to be in our position and to be so unhappy and treated so poorly.

4. TheRealOD2014

That’s the best decision you’ll ever make in your entire life lol. Best of luck to you wherever you end up!

eyeeyecaptain12 likes this.
  5. TheRealOD2014

MCPHS was marked so quickly because they are a new school and never received full accreditation without conditions.

6. TheRealOD2014

I actually remember that. We were all forced to sign a petition requesting that optometrists in PR have their scope of practice expanded. We stopped class and were forced to partake in a political issue that doesn’t involve us. Which now that I think of it is the same way the orientation committee is forced to come on this site and defend the school. They even have to show admin their posts. Administrators even come on here themselves pretending to be students. It’s really sad and pathetic actually. A school’s reputation should speak for it self you shouldn’t have to force current students to convince prospective students that this is a good school when they know it is a lie. Just like we shouldn’t be forced to advocate for them politically when we know their scope shouldn’t be expanded. Spend one day with a clinician and you’ll realize how incompetent they are....I mean they did go to IAUPR after all. When I graduate I too will spend as much time as I can to expand on the little clinics experience I gained at this disaster of a school.

7. TheRealOD2014

This is one of those people I warned you all about that gets fed a script and is forced to come on here and lie. Or a member of admin themselves. Even if you are who you say you are your a first year student who shouldn’t really comment on what you don’t know. Just wait til you sit in Mordis class next year..... then let me know if you feel the same way. I will agree that cosmetically the school has come along way since the hurricane. This is by design so that when you come here with your parents or whomever to look at the school, everything looks great on the outside. But it’s just that, a facade. Meanwhile classrooms and the clinic still have no air conditioning. The dorms are still filled with mold and there have been numerous complaints yet they have done nothing. 90% of the equipment in the clinic does not function. There’s nothing worse than being with a patient and have to go to 5 different rooms to finding a working slit lamp. They have ignored all the real issues and have merely kept up cosmetic appearances in order to fool you but don’t let them lie to you just to get your money. Run now before it’s too late.

8. TheRealOD2014

Wait until you take boards....then you’ll realize just how behind you are. Hard to feel behind in first year when u haven’t had any real classes or clinical experience yet. By the way the dorms have a generator which works most of the time but not all of us are that lucky. Many students do not get to live in the dorms past 1st year and we are forced to find outside housing. I know several students who have had no power or very limited power both before and after the hurricane. The island has numerous issues, which made life here unbearable, the hurricane is just the most recent.

9. TheRealOD2014

Don’t you love how there is an extreme influx of first year students posting on her all at the same time. Why I wonder why that could be. I have 100% confirmation that these “students” were instructed to do this. I was told by a friend who was told to do just this and felt uncomfortable about it. These are the current orientation comitee members at the school. They are here to lie to you on behalf of administration. Just read the posts if you can’t tell they are scripted you’ll never make it in optometry school haha. They and the school take you for fools. Don’t let them. I can provide you with whatever proof you want to disprove anything they say. Please message me if you have any concerns or are looking for honesty. Best of luck!

10. TheRealOD2014

Admin 100% knows about this site and they go on here all throughout the day. I’ve seen it pulled up on their computers numerous times. I know for a fact they pretend to be students and post on here. They are that desperate since they have such low application rates. They don’t do any real work besides take 10 coffee breaks an hour so they have nothing better to do then come on here and spew bull**** to ensure they can keep their jobs by stealing your money by promising an education you will not receive. In return they get to continue doing nothing and taking 10 coffee breaks an hour..... it’s known as the Puerto Rican circle of laziness. Do nothing, steal and lie, then continue to do nothing. It’s really an amazing system.

#109 TheRealOD2014, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
  11. TheRealOD2014

This trash was written by the caliber of student IAUPR accepts, that or you were on some seriously potent LSD.... either way I rest my case

12. TheRealOD2014

Exactly you signed up for optometry school to be a doctor. Not for the next season of survivor and not to fight 24/7 in a 3rd world country. There were so many options that benefitted us. None of which the school even bothered to explore. Every other optometry school offered to take us either temporarily or permanently but that would mean the school would lose money and they couldn’t have that. So they chose to have us continue in an unsafe environment. We were banned from communicating with any other schools by our fascist dictator of a dean who thinks that just because the school is “private” he can do and say whatever he wants. Those students that left for the 45 day break after the storm faced and still gave great resentment every day because they did not stay and suffer alongside the faculty, most of whom were in Florida anyway but of course they deny that. Facebook doesn’t lie however. Oh and speaking of Facebook remember all the posts before the hurricane made by our illustrious dean of students. Dr Caballo which I believe translates to Dr. Horse in English but then again I was never taught Spanish properly so I may be wrong. Anyway she posted on FB (yea that is the school’s official communication platform) that if we left the island before the storm we would not be excused from any classes afterword. Due to this the majority of the student body stayed and were stuck on the island in fear as a cat 5 ripped through the island and shattered windows and flooded where they were staying. They were stuck there for over a week before they could get a flight out with no food or power, all because our dean of students, whom is supposed to advocate for us, told them not to leave or they would be punished. It’s funny how those posts of hers were deleted shortly after the storm.... people could have been seriously hurt or killed by staying there. I may be wrong but I’m pretty sure any school in the Caribbean should have a set in stone hurricane protocol to ensure students safety but then again why would they care about us. Guess we’re the horses ass (pun intended) for thinking they would.

#111 TheRealOD2014, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
  13. VanderlyleCrybaby

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    It's Cabello, my dude. It means hair.

14. rubeyco2018

Optometry Student
    I know im right and the cheater is not a resident yet, its who was chosen to be a resident for the school this next year. Sadly they do in fact promte cheating in Motility and even tell us THEY cheated when they took that class. Cheating goes on in all classes not just motility. I dont think its dr morte's fault I know he's smart just trouble relaying the info, problem is youre told to cheat before you ever enter the class and no one makes an effort. In fact that the first thing most people learn at that school as long as you're friends with the right people. And there shouldn't be any errors on an exam, I mean is it that hard to proofread a freaking exam? its TRIPLE to retake not double. there should never be any sort of bias ever in any program, we should all be treated equally and fairly. Whats upsetting is that we feel like we are beating a dead horse because none of these complaints or feelings are new just nothing is ever done to make things better. you can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig. They can paint and renovate all day but they make no effort to better the education or raise board scores. Its ALWAYS the students fault with them they make no effort to be better teachers or get better teachers. I dont know how they haven't figured out that doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is CRAZY (hence why passing rate on NBEO never goes up)

#113 rubeyco2018, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
  15. optometrygirl29

5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Class of 2019 did lose a lot of students a good handful left all on their own because they gave up they didn't even attempt to try to push through I know this for a fact. Maybe they failed more than one course and no matter what they weren't going to make it through I dont know. the 4800-6200 is a huge hit but I believe they can defer payment for the summer until the regular semester so your loan covers most of it. I did my fair share of retaking courses in the summer and yeah it sucked big time and my debt is higher than most because of it. Im not blaming anyone for it other than myself but only I know what I was going through at the time that affected me. the school doesn't "fail over Half the class" all on their own, kinda a two way street just saying..yeah they have been known to give harder exams when they are upset. Ill admit there are a few courses that need to update their teaching styles and incorporate different teaching methods. We know which courses are failed by a greater number of students year and year and teaching methods aren't changed. I agree the blame doesn't fall completely on the students, but it also doesn't totally fall in the school or professors either. Some courses are just that difficult that its tough for students, other courses its a combo of students and professors teaching methods. Biggest problem is that not all students learn the same. Some of us are auditory learners and hearing the info is enough others are visual learners and have to really see it to understand and others are a combo....I can say for myself I struggled in some courses like optics 1 bc I just couldn't get the info the way it was being taught it doesn't mean Morales is a bad professor at all, he's smart and he teaches well, but it didn't work for me and it took talking to various students and tutors to finally get it. I didn't pass pharm either, its pure memorization and i'm not good at memorizing or organizing the info but KMK has a great way of organizing pharm in a way that just clicked for me. Its all a matter of perspective. Like ive said before my experience wasn't perfect and def had issues but most of my misery was 2nd year and various friends from other schools and my OD friends all told me their experience was just as miserable for them. Dont the grass is always greener on the other side.

16. rubeyco2018

Optometry Student
    Hey you remember when the president of the AOA came to speak to students and the school hijacked his A** and dragged him to multiple interviews and told him to say he supported whatever bill they were trying to pass at the time? He was like "I didn't sign up for all of this they kinda just took me everywhere for interviews didn't really tell me where I was going or what I was doing until I got there, I really just wanted to hangout at my hotel and relax" :claps::laugh::claps::laugh::claps::rofl::rofl::rofl::wtf::wtf: And how the headline in their local paper said he came just to talk to us about how he supported expanding the scope of practice "For these students" umm hahaha but 99% of the student body is from the states and never ever planning to return to that island.....ah the lies.:smack::bullcrap::bullcrap:

17. TheREALoptometrist2015

Optometrist
    2019 lost so many students because they decided to destroy that class, story I was told by the class under me was that instead of dismissing those that needed to be dismissed from the 2018 class, they took it out on the 2019 by writing ridiculous exams that were impossible to pass. I think it was something like 9-12 students academically dismissed for low gpa and another 5-7 that were held back a year and honestly if that many students are dismissed or held back, failing that many classes then it is definitely is the schools fault, that is just proof the teaching sucks and explains why board scores are so low...students are failing classes left and right why would anyone think we wouldn't fail boards a billion times too.

18. TheREALoptometrist2015

Optometrist
    Whats funny is it felt like survivor before the hurricane so I can only imagine how bad it is now.. We used to go up on roof in the dorms at night and listen to all the gun shots at all hours of the night. figured we'd be safer higher up. And say what? Who banned you? that is definitely reason to contact the ACOE. there are legitimate health and safety concerns especially now in the aftermath of the hurricane season (which is starting again by the way next month) the school should have done everything possible to get every student off the island and out of harms way that is crazy! They don't have a hurricane protocol that would require thought, probably cabello's ( not caballo ROFL) job but everyone knows she worthless. Romero's pretty ok but Cabello should be the only one dismissed. She acts like she hates most students and like she hate her job, not to mention she is a favoritist.

19. TheREALoptometrist2015

Optometrist
    looks like the school sent another puppet to write on the site.....

20. rubeyco2018

Optometry Student
    thats what I was thinking, the school is sending so many people on here to talk up the school. They are making students really uncomfortable by forcing them to come on here. Whats said is that no other school has to send students to lie about how great the school is. No other school has students this angry or disappointed in an academic institution.

21. TheREALoptometrist2015

Optometrist
    Sad petty institution run by two sad petty deans (cabello and romero). How is it that a school KNOWS students are miserable and yet does nothing to change that perception just forces students to lie about the situation.

22. optometrygirl29

5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Nope im not even at the school anymore, already graduated and NO ONE told me to come on here and say anything....

23. optometrygirl29

5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    you are entitled to your opinion....let others be entitled to theirs

24. rubeyco2018

Optometry Student
    Yup just another clueless 1st yr or admin on here posting lies. the fact that Russ is still here and has been a 3rd year for over a decade lets you know they care only about money and care nothing about education. The school just wont listen! We beg for the entire library to be open 24hrs like every other university on the planet, they respond with 6 study rooms for the entire student body because you know all 180 us fit in there. Then we begged again for 24hr full access to the library or at least the fishbowl and they responded with painting the library that hideous blue. We ask for a better education, they call us "spoiled brats!!!" if you think they care about you, you're dead wrong. They are spending a ton of money going campaigning for students at high schools and undergrad campus hosting those students trying to convince them to come to iaupr because they are tired of stateside students demanding better. Admin is the problem at that school. Honestly A few of those deans need to be replaced. They refuse to improve, plain and simple. They refuse to invest in their own students, in creating the best optometrists in the industry. they'd rather cater to their own kind who understand their own lazy way of life. Buyer Beware, cheaper isn't always better, in this case its just cheaper. I feel sorry for some of our professors wasting their talent there.

#123 rubeyco2018, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
  25. rubeyco2018

Optometry Student
    One of the most deadly causes of destruction of divine destinies is when a leader is failing, but he or she does not know it. Ignorance about your role is a death plot against people's successes.” “Say "no" to corruption; it does not fit you! Say "no" to bad leadership; you don't fit there. Say no to IAUPR

26. optometrygirl29

5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    this post was rather strange, seems the writer is a bit immature to write this stuff

27. TheREALoptometrist2015

Optometrist
    powerful statement and true, hope admin reads it when they log on and spend their time reading this thread

28. glenglen99

Pre-Optometry
    Are they accepting applications? I applied last month and I still haven't heard anything from them.
    Did anyone applied and got accepted?

29. iauprstudent12

Optometry Student
    LOL i'm sure they will accept you if you're still interested in this school after reading this thread... you're exactly the kind of student they want

Weirdy likes this.
  30. TheREALoptometrist2015

Optometrist
    its not bullying its being honest to people. honesty is the best policy

31. TheREALoptometrist2015

Optometrist
    Dont Worry they can't fill the class because no one wants to go there so I hear they are accepting anyone with even the faintest of pulses. Im pretty sure they will accept you trust me they dont have high standards there is no OAT orGPA requirement literally a pulse is all that is needed and well being able to get a loan to pay them really those are the only requirements.

32. optostudent2017

IAUPR class of 2017 alumni here, passed boards part 1 and 3 first time! The purpose of my post is to offer positive feedback to those who are curious about the school program. People need to realize that you are coming to an island for school ... Power outages are not fun or ideal, but the school has no control over natural disasters and how fast the electricity company works to fix things. I lived through a drought and a major power outage. Its what happens on an island - if you think this is something you can't handle, go somewhere else. You do have to make the most of your four years out here, but if this school is your only option (it was for me) you need to be more grateful for the given opportunity and complain less. If people spent as much time studying than complaining about language barriers, our board scores would probably be better. I would say the class of 2017 was made up of people who failed out of other optometry school and needed a second chance, people who did not do well in undergrad but were now serious about school/future/education and young new college grads who were more focused on partying ... and lets not forget the small chunk who were just naturally gifted with intelligence. All of our professors speak English. English might not have been their first language, but this is what you should expect when coming to school here. Don't come here if you are narrow minded and want things to be spoon fed to you. Spanish class teaches some basics, but you need to take imitative and ask the professors how to say certain things in Spanish so you can better communicate with your patients during 3rd year. I understand that some people come from areas where there is not a large Spanish speaking population, which is why they don't make any effort to learn Spanish. Majority of your patients prefer to speak Spanish, so it is important to take initiative to learn the language because you decided to come to school in PUERTO RICO. It takes ALOT of hard work and self teaching. I truly do believe that the students are provided with all of the necessary information to pass the boards. If you party a lot, "wing classes" and use "old exams" to cheat to barely pass classes ... (it is pretty obvious to me that you will not be passing boards the first time around). Those who were dedicated and put in work to learn concepts and not just memorize facts were most successful. It is do-able, you just have to put in the work.

33. TheREALoptometrist2015

Optometrist
    Most of what you say is true but some discrepancies are the following
    1. there were 5 fail-outs of other schools in the class of 2017 (we started with 63)
    2. Its one thing to speak in broken English, its quite another for the exams to be written in broken English and professors make no effort to write properly written exams.
    3. Professors need to be more grateful for the students that keep them running instead of calling us spoiled in Spanish and trashing students behind their backs ( and this is very very true )
    4. and this would be the most true Every other school prepares their students in areas where we lack bc certain professors are not the most knowledgable in their field and make no effort to teach. I have interns from other schools come work with me at my office as I am a site. Our clinical skills, contact lens fitting knowledge, pediatric knowledge, pharm and optics are abysmal in comparison to other schools.
    5. other schools are more organized, we are a small school but there are even smaller schools then ours who have better professors and more of them to teach. Dr. Conde has little control over preclinical skills and most of the profs just gossip when they should be teaching. Dra. Matos does not teach contact lens fitting at all its a waste time even sitting there.
    6. The Spanish teacher ineffectively teaches Spanish your first two yrs that when you get into clinic the clinicians yell at you for not knowing how to communicate properly which sucks because its not your fault that instead of teaching how to do an eye exam in Spanish she teaches you ******ed things like how to manage getting to a bar and how to flirt (the focus is not on education)
    7. They grade based on whether they like you or not, they change bad grades to passing for those they like, and will fail those they dislike
    8. The two biggest problems at that school are dean cabello and dean romero who target specific students and are biased and rude. Dean romero is in charge of academics so I guess thats why our board scores are so low. I know PCO had a drop in scores last year and had a meeting with students and professors alike to address the issues openly and are revamping the program using suggestions from both students and professors alike. That is dedication. Dean Romero's way of dealing with low board scores is refusing to let certain students he's deemed wont pass not take the exam as to meet the percentage the ACEO requirements to maintain accreditation. (short term solution with no long term goal). They are most certainly under review. Maybe they will learn to change their ways and focus on students instead of their own personal lives.

Now for some positives
    your Nuero and disease knowledge is actually better than other schools we do have amazing professors in that aspect but that is mainly bc they ignore the two deans and make sure to treat everyone fairly and really want you to succeed. Patients are mostly really patient with the students. If you do work hard you will mostly succeed, though I disagree that you should have to teach yourself everything I digress. It is indeed do-able, its just much much harder at IAUPR as they are resistant to changing their ways. there are plenty of online materials that teach better than the school does. Get your hands on the KMK books early if you can, go to the NBEO website and find the outlines for parts 1 and 2 which tell you the concepts you need to know to pass those exams and start studying early on. This is the best and only way to pass your boards on the first try (its what a few of us in co 2015 did and we passed with flying colors).