Ice cream truck side hustle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it would be fun to drive around an ice cream truck on the weekends or summer afternoons. Does anyone have experience with this, is it worth it? I always see people online asking when the ice cream truck is coming to their neighborhood. Who doesn't love ice cream? Kids and parents gladly overpay $2-3 for a prepackaged popsicle. There's virtually no work compared to a food truck where you have to prepare and cook food.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
In a few months, we will see questions on how to get out of ice cream truck business.

You sell your ice cream and the truck... Or repurpose it into mobile vaccine freezer.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a colleague that runs a Hawaiian shave ice truck. They legit work as an ICU nurse during the day and go run their truck after shift.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I have a colleague that runs a Hawaiian shave ice truck. They legit work as an ICU nurse during the day and go run their truck after shift.

Awesome! Do they like it?

Hahaha good god mentos, we really need the markets to start running like crazy again

Looks like crypto is the way to go right now. XRP up 38%, XLM up 16%, LTC up 13%, doge up 8% today. Crazy.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Awesome! Do they like it?

I think so, it did suck the first year or so but I think after that she was able to just hire people to man the truck so she didn’t have to. It’s seasonal and closes during winter.

Trick is you need an Instagram-worthy premium product and not just sell random grocery store ice cream out of a truck. Higher margins and more sustainable + higher income clientele.

Reactions: 1 users
hmmmm,...I don't know...how government regulated is the icecream truck business? LMFAO...seems like you need a license to do just about anything these days
Yes, they do. In the major metropolitans, the cops will stop and inspect your vehicle randomly. In my part of the country, ice cream trucks sold adult treats too which is why the local ordinance is the way it is for the reasons @Sparda29 and @owlegrad state.

Although there is also a tradition of other cream sold in a certain way of speaking. Not my style but it may be a way to meet people, I guess.

Other advice, enough people in town know the lyrics of the song now, so don't buy an old truck and drive it around Minneapolis or LA if you value your life. Especially right now.

So, I think everyone on SDN is dying to know how your crack-pot money making ice cream truck scheme is going...have you factored in the psychology of climate/weather on sales/inventory?

I think you might want to consider @Sparda29 as a business partner or at least consultant

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For several years, there was an ice cream truck that went around my neighborhood 365 days a year (well, they probably took some days off, but they didn't take off for winter.) It would be -5 degrees outside and snowing and we'd hear the ice cream truck go by. They *had* to have been selling something else besides ice cream. Then one day, they never came back, never heard anything in the news about them getting busted, so maybe they moved on to greener pastures.

• Hmm
@mentos , you owe it to SDN to update us on your icecream truck side hustle business model...I know you're just going to crush it with warmer months coming up

Sorry I haven't actually done this, was just considering it.

Got distracted by easy money again. Put in 15k 3 weeks ago and currently up 42%. Will revisit the ice cream truck once crypto crashes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210505-190958.png
    Screenshot_20210505-190958.png
    201.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Wow
  • Care
Ice cream truck is a pretty good idea. You could also distribute discount cards, they pay about $1 per claim. I know most RPh's hate them but they do save cash patients money and you earn cash at the same time. I just wouldn't distribute where you work. I make a few hundred/month, not bad for passive income. Welcome to Your Rx Help

let's run a drug drive that sells ice cream and hotdogs too. here's the name for it: Rxream

Is there any way I can test my trailer to make sure its good enough to haul ice cream? I had called on a load last week and the broker asked me if my trailer was good enough. I honestly don't know. I have hauled numerous -10 degree loads no problem but they wanted the ice cream at -20. My unit will set to that temp but never ran it that cold. Thanks in advance!!
Mason, you do realize this is a pharmacy forum! This thread is from 3 years ago.
My favorite super hero, Captain Obvious, to the rescue.

• Haha
Bro made an account just to ask a pharmer about ice cream truck and now the poor bro's email gonna get spammed by Dr. Owl to donate to SDN 😭😭😭

Bro made an account just to ask a pharmer about ice cream truck and now the poor bro's email gonna get spammed by Dr. Owl to donate to SDN 😭😭😭
Now now, pharmaceutical cold chain and ice cream cold chain are pretty similar. @masonjackson: If there's one thing I've learned from the Joint Commission, it's that you need to purchase a whole bunch of wifi enabled thermometers that continuously track the temperatures of everywhere you might store your ice cream. Also, it's a good idea to assign a couple of people to review this data and sign off on it daily. Which brings up a fundamental question: If the L&D freezer is out of range for 18 months and nobody notices, is it really out of range?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users