• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

mentos

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
I think it would be fun to drive around an ice cream truck on the weekends or summer afternoons. Does anyone have experience with this, is it worth it? I always see people online asking when the ice cream truck is coming to their neighborhood. Who doesn't love ice cream? Kids and parents gladly overpay $2-3 for a prepackaged popsicle. There's virtually no work compared to a food truck where you have to prepare and cook food.

Reactions: 2 users

M0df

15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
In a few months, we will see questions on how to get out of ice cream truck business.

You sell your ice cream and the truck... Or repurpose it into mobile vaccine freezer.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
About the Ads

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I have a colleague that runs a Hawaiian shave ice truck. They legit work as an ICU nurse during the day and go run their truck after shift.

• Wow

RxAndroid

PharmDroid/Druggist
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2015
Purgatory
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
hmmmm,...I don't know...how government regulated is the icecream truck business? LMFAO...seems like you need a license to do just about anything these days

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Awesome! Do they like it?

I think so, it did suck the first year or so but I think after that she was able to just hire people to man the truck so she didn’t have to. It’s seasonal and closes during winter.

Trick is you need an Instagram-worthy premium product and not just sell random grocery store ice cream out of a truck. Higher margins and more sustainable + higher income clientele.

Reactions: 1 users

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2002
DC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
  2. Academic Administration
hmmmm,...I don't know...how government regulated is the icecream truck business? LMFAO...seems like you need a license to do just about anything these days
Yes, they do. In the major metropolitans, the cops will stop and inspect your vehicle randomly. In my part of the country, ice cream trucks sold adult treats too which is why the local ordinance is the way it is for the reasons @Sparda29 and @owlegrad state.

Although there is also a tradition of other cream sold in a certain way of speaking. Not my style but it may be a way to meet people, I guess.

Other advice, enough people in town know the lyrics of the song now, so don't buy an old truck and drive it around Minneapolis or LA if you value your life. Especially right now.

RxAndroid

PharmDroid/Druggist
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2015
Purgatory
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
So, I think everyone on SDN is dying to know how your crack-pot money making ice cream truck scheme is going...have you factored in the psychology of climate/weather on sales/inventory?

I think you might want to consider @Sparda29 as a business partner or at least consultant

Reactions: 1 user

BidingMyTime

Lost Shaker Of Salt
10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
For several years, there was an ice cream truck that went around my neighborhood 365 days a year (well, they probably took some days off, but they didn't take off for winter.) It would be -5 degrees outside and snowing and we'd hear the ice cream truck go by. They *had* to have been selling something else besides ice cream. Then one day, they never came back, never heard anything in the news about them getting busted, so maybe they moved on to greener pastures.

• Hmm

RxAndroid

PharmDroid/Druggist
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2015
Purgatory
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
@mentos , you owe it to SDN to update us on your icecream truck side hustle business model...I know you're just going to crush it with warmer months coming up

mentos

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
Got distracted by easy money again. Put in 15k 3 weeks ago and currently up 42%. Will revisit the ice cream truck once crypto crashes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210505-190958.png
    Screenshot_20210505-190958.png
    201.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.