ICO vs SUNY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsindigo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to SUNY today, and already have been accepted at ICO and reserved a spot. I now have to make a difficult decision between the two. Cost wise they are comparable because I am out of state for both. I did receive a scholarship at ICO covering the cost of housing living in their residential hall. Education-wise they are both amazing schools. I am interested in doing a residency, does anyone have any thoughts about which school would better support me in achieving that goal?
Thanks! Any thoughts/knowledge about either school is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, Congrats on your acceptance! I am waiting to here back from both schools as well. I have an interview at SUNY this week. Just wanted to let you know that at SUNY, I'm pretty sure that for years 2,3, and 4 the tuition changes from out of state to in-state which drops the total cost by a significant amount. I'm not sure if ICO has something similar to that or not but I would suggest looking into it before making your decision.

Good luck!

ICO is private and would not give in-state tuition.

Both schools are good schools and I think you are fine with your decision on attending either one. I went to ICO and I thought it was comfortable for me because I like the dorms and I require living close by to my place of work. Think to yourself where you'll be happiest/most comfortable. If you are concerned about achieving your goal, either school will be suitable for doing that just equally fine in my opinion.

I'm an ICO grad. I chose not to do a residency. I started at my dream hospital organization only being 1 year out of school. I work alongside other classmates from ICO who did a residency. We get paid the same and have the same job tasks. ICO prepares you well regardless if you do or do not do a residency. SUNY is a great school with an excellent reputation. I say you can't make a bad decision with either school, so go where you think you'll have the best time.

Reactions: 1 user