ICOM vs UIWSOM halp!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swooplespoon

Reaction score
Hello!

I have been accepted into ICOM and UIWSOM and I am trying to figure out which is best for me. Does anyone have insight into clinical rotation sites, GME, and match rates for these programs?

Thank you!

P.S. I am from Colorado so I love the mountain areas but my s/o is from Dallas so her family is here. We both are open to going either place in terms of personal reasons.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted UIW and have an upcoming interview with ICOM that I may forgo attending.
In my opinion, UIWSOM. ICOM has great facilities but UIW is accredited, has access to federal loan options whereas ICOM does not. Both will make you a doctor at the end of the day but if cost is a factor then UIW. whatever school best fits your needs though.

Hello!

I have been accepted into ICOM and UIWSOM and I am trying to figure out which is best for me. Does anyone have insight into clinical rotation sites, GME, and match rates for these programs?

Thank you!

P.S. I am from Colorado so I love the mountain areas but my s/o is from Dallas so her family is here. We both are open to going either place in terms of personal reasons.

I graduated from UIWSOM. Dr. Mohr is the dean of ICOM and I can say at UIWSOM he was always enthusiastic, knowledge and available to help. Which really was crucial for a new school.

I'd personally recommend UIW. I liked the curriculum, living in San Antonio, my rotations were mostly positive experiences and I have been fortunate enough to stay for residency. UIWSOM is fully accredited now (im sure ICOM will be too) as well.

Honestly you will be fine either way. I'd choose the less new school - it was fun to be an inaugural class but it also brings along with it its own uncertainties, which usually its best to mitigate any stress you can for medical school.

I graduated from UIWSOM. Dr. Mohr is the dean of ICOM and I can say at UIWSOM he was always enthusiastic, knowledge and available to help. Which really was crucial for a new school.

I'd personally recommend UIW. I liked the curriculum, living in San Antonio, my rotations were mostly positive experiences and I have been fortunate enough to stay for residency. UIWSOM is fully accredited now (im sure ICOM will be too) as well.

Honestly you will be fine either way. I'd choose the less new school - it was fun to be an inaugural class but it also brings along with it its own uncertainties, which usually its best to mitigate any stress you can for medical school.
Sorry for high jacking the thread, but would you be willing to answer a few questions regarding UIWSOM if I messaged you?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted UIW and have an upcoming interview with ICOM that I may forgo attending.
In my opinion, UIWSOM. ICOM has great facilities but UIW is accredited, has access to federal loan options whereas ICOM does not. Both will make you a doctor at the end of the day but if cost is a factor then UIW. whatever school best fits your needs though.
Thank you!

Thank you!