ICU Fellowship Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katheudontas parateroumen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm anesthesia/cc and I have 8 weeks of elective time that can be basically used in any block amount of time (eg 2wks, 4wks, 2 wks, etc). My fellowship is pretty broad set up. I'm looking to do some mix of medical subspecialty and echo. What do you guys wish you would have done or specific skills? I wanna learn how to set up my own CRRT, does that take more than a week or 2 to sufficiently learn? As an anesthesia resident we didn't learn much about ID so I'll probably do that. I'll do echo hopefully get enough for basic TEE/get CCM US cert (not sure if worth the time/effort). Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd recommend spending time with a chest radiologist and improving your skills with chest CT, if you spend time in the SICU you could also improve your CT abdomen. ECHO is a critical skill, and whatever you need to do to improve your interpretation and acquisition is time well spent.

Setting up CRRT is not difficult and you can learn it in an hour or less, then just spend time connecting people. I'm not sure it's the best use of an elective, but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users