This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mickey44

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I am a pre-med undergraduate student and wanted some patient care ideas. I have shadowed a lot of doctors already and have also volunteered at hospitals before. I was wondering what other things are out there for me to do that involve patient care. Would volunteering at a nursing home count? The elderly people who live there are residents but are they also considered patients?
 
I don't think nursing homes are clinical environments, but hospices are. Also check out facilities for the developmentally disabled, mentally ill, etc.
 
Would volunteering at a nursing home count?
Independent or Assisted Living Centers wouldn't "count," nor would Retirement Homes, but skilled-level Nursing Homes have patients who are generally visited on-site by physicians, and IMO interacting with them in a helpful manner would qualify as the type of active patient interaction AMCAS schools consider to be clinical experience.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I am a pre-med undergraduate student and wanted some patient care ideas. I have shadowed a lot of doctors already and have also volunteered at hospitals before. I was wondering what other things are out there for me to do that involve patient care. Would volunteering at a nursing home count? The elderly people who live there are residents but are they also considered patients?

LizzyM's clinical rule: If you are close enough to smell patients, then it is clinical experience
  • Concrete examples of the clinical rule are outlined by the Goro Guidelines: "Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics."
  • Nursing homes are a gray area. Safe bet is to call it nonclinical (see example)
From the Essential SDN Wisdom sticky
 
You would be better off getting a job at the home. The nursing home environment is imo the best way to develop a personal relationship with your "patients" and develop those patient care skills as some of the tasks you do can be a bit personal and degrading, and you can practice eliciting the trust of a "patient" and ensuring their comfort as you perform a more personal procedure such as helping them to the bathroom, peri-cares, catheter care etc etc. Now on its own, nursing homes won't do everything for you as you should go see the environment that a doctor spends most of their time in, but it sounds like you've covered some of that. I have talked to a woman on the admission's board for the medical school on my campus and she says they prefer to see the CNA in the nursing home experience because it is very personal and shows that you are comfortable interacting with and caring for a "patient" in any manner. I did the whole CNA thing and I worked a ton (80-88 hours/week on several occasions) and I developed extraordinary relationships with the residents I cared for. I 100% recommend it and in the end, what you do can often be less important than what you got out of the experience and how you are able to talk about it in your applications and in your interviews.